Where Are They Now ? - 99/00 Under 18 Squad - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Where Are They Now ? - 99/00 Under 18 Squad

ErsatzThistle

11 hours ago, davierobbsagod said:

his dad billy keogh is/was a bells hotel/lounge legend,now its shut I often see him in the foundry with his usual guiness..(legend in footy and drinking....)

My dad was in the photo that was in the bells of them playing football. 

Cracking guy,I'm sure I was told a few years ago that he had passed away,I'm glad to hear that info was incorrect. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 16 August 2016 at 10:02 PM, Rab The Crab said:

O Brien was touted for a call up for South Africa which dragged on for ages and eventually never happened.

And which was accompanied by the inevitable shouts of "get him capped" on here.

13 hours ago, davierobbsagod said:

his dad billy keogh is/was a bells hotel/lounge legend,now its shut I often see him in the foundry with his usual guiness..(legend in footy and drinking....)

Used to love the Bells Hotel/Balmoral Lounge back in the 1980s.  First pub in Aberdeen that had a video jukebox which seemed to have ZZ Top, Dead Ringer for Love, Girls on Film and Pat Benatar on repeat.  Madam Butterfly by Malcolm McLaren was very popular as well - youngsters will have to YouTube the video. 

Was as gutted when I was last in Aberdeen a couple of years ago and it was shut.  

Dont think we should be too worried by so many seeming to fall by the wayside from the u18s. It's a natural thing that happens. Interesting to look back and see where they went tho.

Out of curiosity (and for comparison) I went back and found the england u18 side that tonked andorra 8-0 in 1999 (an event i'm sure we all remember and didnt just find on google)

Stuart Taylor - Never capped (Had a decent career)
Stephen Wright - Never capped (Played a bit for Sunderland then disappeared down the leagues)
Carl Regan - Never capped (Disappeared down the leagues)
Lee Roche - Never capped (Disappeared down the leagues)
Ledley King - 21 Caps (Career limited by injury)
Wayne Bridge - 36 Caps (Had a good career)
Lee Naylor - Never capped (Had a decent career)
Luke Chadwick - Never capped (Found his level at MK Dons)
Matthew Etherington - Never capped (Had a decent career)
Joe Cole - 56 Caps (Had a good career)
Jamie Milligan (captain) - Never capped (Disappeared down the leagues to Fleetwood Town)
Scott Parker - 18 caps (Had a good career)
Darius Vassell - 22 caps (Had a good career)

So only 5 of the 13 ever got caps, with only 1 hall of famer. And in a team including Cole and Bridge you have the Captain who disappeared to the Northern Premier and Conference North leagues.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

Dont think we should be too worried by so many seeming to fall by the wayside from the u18s. It's a natural thing that happens. Interesting to look back and see where they went tho.

Out of curiosity (and for comparison) I went back and found the england u18 side that tonked andorra 8-0 in 1999 (an event i'm sure we all remember and didnt just find on google)

Ok, I'm detecting you have a problem with me starting this thread.

As it happens I merely wanted to see where the lesser known names ended up and read people's thoughts on the others. What's wrong with that ?

Some of us find it interesting to look back at these forgotten games and discuss them. 

On 19/08/2016 at 8:13 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

Ok, I'm detecting you have a problem with me starting this thread.

As it happens I merely wanted to see where the lesser known names ended up and read people's thoughts on the others. What's wrong with that ?

Some of us find it interesting to look back at these forgotten games and discuss them. 

hah no, you've misread me totally. If i didn't think it was interesting i wouldn't have bothered to look up an english side from the same time to see if we bought thru out talent at a comparable rate. it's a good thread. :)

The comments you bolded was more a dig at how england beat andorra regularly and afterwards declare they're going to win the world cup.

21 hours ago, andyD said:

hah no, you've misread me totally. If i didn't think it was interesting i wouldn't have bothered to look up an english side from the same time to see if we bought thru out talent at a comparable rate. it's a good thread. :)

The comments you bolded was more a dig at how england beat andorra regularly and afterwards declare they're going to win the world cup.

Sorry, nae danger :ok:

• 1 year later...
On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 8:53 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

The final piece of the puzzle. Well done both :ok:

Megabump! Not quite, I'm afraid Shotts56 is incorrect. It was Ross McCabe who was the Hamilton Accies player that almost died on the pitch in 2006/07 season not Ross Maclaren. He recovered and went on to continue playing in the juniors. Ross Maclaren came several years earlier. He scored in the penultimate game of the season at Montrose in 2000/01. That was a bizarre ending to the season as both Accies' final games were at Links Park due to a postponement, several of them I think.  It was a three way fight between us, Brechin and Cowdenbeath for the Third Division title and promotion. They both played each other on the final day so Ross's goal helped to clinch our promotion in the midweek and on the Saturday a 4-1 win clinched the title. I think Ross was the son of Stuart Maclaren who played in defence for Hearts in the late 70s and early 80s. Not sure what became of Ross, he may have gone to the states like a few other young Accies players of the time. Googling doesn't show up much.

Derek Soutar retired and recently managed a manky Dundee boozer owned by former shyster Dundee FC owners the Marrs. He was duly shafted and the pub closed within a year however Derek managed to salvage things by flogging the commerical fridge and flashing Tenents Lager sign on Facebay Dundee. :)

4 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Derek Soutar retired and recently managed a manky Dundee boozer owned by former shyster Dundee FC owners the Marrs. He was duly shafted and the pub closed within a year however Derek managed to salvage things by flogging the commerical fridge and flashing Tenents Lager sign on Facebay Dundee. :)

What pub did Soapy run?

Little bit older than that age group but one from around that time I was massively disappointed that never kicked on was Mark Burchill.

Remember him scoring in an old firm derby when he was 18. Thought he'd be the Scottish answer to Michael Owen but it never happened for him at Celtic where Larsson, Viduka and then later Chris Sutton and John Hartson all blocked his patch.

Then went south to Portsmouth and got bad injuries. He's only 37 now, his peak should've been 2008-10 where he could've been combining with McFadden.

16 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Little bit older than that age group but one from around that time I was massively disappointed that never kicked on was Mark Burchill.

Remember him scoring in an old firm derby when he was 18. Thought he'd be the Scottish answer to Michael Owen but it never happened for him at Celtic where Larsson, Viduka and then later Chris Sutton and John Hartson all blocked his patch.

Then went south to Portsmouth and got bad injuries. He's only 37 now, his peak should've been 2008-10 where he could've been combining with McFadden.

You seem surprised that a youngster can score one goal for an Old-Firm team and doesn’t go on to be a World star. 

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

You seem surprised that a youngster can score one goal for an Old-Firm team and doesn’t go on to be a World star. 

Ah the classic negativity towards an old firm youngster getting recognition.

Call up Ross McCrorie? Why bother when Jock McTavish has played 300 games for Stenhousemuir - clearly due a call up 😏

8 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Call up Ross McCrorie? Why bother when Jock McTavish has played 300 games for Stenhousemuir - clearly due a call up 😏

What a weird post. :blink:

Coming from you it’s hardly surprising though. 

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

Well it shows you have something about you if you can contribute in an old firm game at that age. It wasn't just that, he scored 20 in 50 odd games for Celtic and scored a hat trick in a european game (against admittedly not great opposition) but could never get a run and went to England.

He scored a few early on at Portsmouth (this was the season they went up to the premier league) but then did his ACL and was never really the same again.

To me he was the lost talent of the 00s.

How the hell did Darren Mackie last so long at Aberdeen ? 

He was under contract there until 2012 ^?^

Perhaps the Sheep on here can set me right but I always thought he was a mediocre player.

Tony McParland I believe went on to play for quite a few different clubs at Junior level.

On 24/11/2017 at 1:54 AM, SpiderAlba said:

How the hell did Darren Mackie last so long at Aberdeen ? 

He was under contract there until 2012 ^?^

Perhaps the Sheep on here can set me right but I always thought he was a mediocre player.

Tony McParland I believe went on to play for quite a few different clubs at Junior level.

Mackie was indeed mediocre. However, Calderwood loved him and labelled him as his first line of defence. To be fair, he was very quick, worked tirelessly and was pretty hardy.  Just no football in him. First few times I saw Simon Murray I was reminded of Mackie, however, Murray seems to at least score goals. 

On 11/23/2017 at 10:53 PM, ProudScot said:

Call up Ross McCrorie? 

To be fair, he was utter dugshite in his first "Old Firm" game :lol: 

4 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

McCrorie!? Are you having a laugh?? 😂😂😂

Indeed, McCrorie. He's been a bit shite pretty much every time i've seen him play, to be fair. 

Edited by Parklife

On 23/11/2017 at 8:00 PM, Tartan Chris said:

One of the worst players I've seen in a Killie shirt.