Becoming a Plumber In Your 30s - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Becoming a Plumber In Your 30s

16 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Is it possible to train to become a plumber whilst in your thirties?

What are the best places to train and whats the cost and how long is the course and will it actually qualify you to get a plumbers job in a few years time

I'll get back to you next week on that - I should manage Wednesday but I can't say when. Actually, more likely to be Friday...

9 hours ago, G-Man said:

You're on fire. B)

A few years ago I'd have agreed re' taxi drivers but not now. Don't know any well off private hire drivers, just owners and not sure their money is 100% legitimately from taxi money only. Black hack drivers not moving to Bishopbriggs so much now so assume money is well down with them too. 

Money is still there but longer hours are required. Know of a guy in Bishopbriggs who does 18 hour shifts, that was never the case 20-30 years ago.

I don't know how you set about it but a relative of mine changed from being a computer programmer to a gas fitter/multi-trade builder in his early 40s & did OK out of it. He knew a fair bit about it & had worked on houses, done plumbing, wiring, etc. before he started, but from what I remember I think he spent about 6 weeks doing his CORGI registration & other bits & bobs where he needed to. I don't know about it if you're starting from scratch though. Good luck anyway.

On 18 August 2016 at 10:45 AM, teecee- said:

Son in law is a Plumber to trade but gets more money driving a van. No job security in plumbing as you are

dependent on contract work most of the time. 

Drive a train.

Mate is a John Selwyn - hates it and would love to get out.

Train driver pays reasonably well but shift work makes it harder to plan trips - also need to be careful if you're fond of a refreshment or twelve - nil by mouth if you're working the next day (probably need a couple of clear days after a Leo Sayer).

Edited by Regenmann