Scott Brown - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott Brown

er yir macaroon

14 hours ago, aaid said:

His replacement in midfield and as captain really relies on what Strachan sees Darren Fletcher as a starter or as an experienced backup.  If he thinks Fletcher is going to start and go through qualification then it's a no-brainer, he should be captain as well.   Strachan has been reluctant to start Fletcher even though he's proved his fitness - I think he played most if not all of WBA's games last season.   How much of that was a reluctance to drop Brown rather than a reluctance to start Fletcher we're just about to find out.

I'd definately start McArthur regardless as I think he's our best option as a defensive central midfielder.  I agree with Wanderer, I think Grant Hanley is a good shout as long term captain.  Guaranteed starter if fit and he seems to have captained every team he's played for so obviously has some leadership qualities 

I'd agree completely re Fletcher, he's the obvious candidate to replace Brown in the team and as captain and I couldn't blame him if he chucked it if this didn't happen.

Wee McGinn is a similar player to how Brown was when was younger(and better)but I think he's another season and a step up away from being able to challenge for a start.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, bigphil25 said:

Good Scotland player and captain. But his time had gone and he took the decision out of Strachan's hand who would have still picked him. Says more about Strachan than Brown. Should be picking younger players and bleeding them for Euro 2020 when we will have more chance of qualifying. Anyway onwards and upwards.

Strachan would have picked him, and rightly so. He's back to his best now and probably would have had one more good campaign in him. We now suddenly look very weak in CM.

What worries me is that this may open the floodgates for some of the other older players to retire as well. E.g Hutton, Fletcher, Morrison, Maloney etc.

However, maybe that is exactly what Scotland needs right now. Strachan will be forced to blood the youngsters if he can't be tempted to play the veterans. It may work out better in the long run if we see people like McGinn, MacLeod etc getting games prematurely.

I'm a bit mixed on this.

Great Payer when fit and has done a good job for us.

He had a bad year for us but if he was playing through the pain barrier i can understand why and that shows commitment.

He has never had the play maker beside him and has had to do both jobs. we still don't have a player to do that job maybe we should try Bannan.

who else will be good enough to take the arm band. Fletcher is not a Captain and i struggle to think of anyone who is. This is just another thing we miss on the pitch as you should have 3 to 4 players who could be Captain on the pitch.

Thanks Brown for what you have done i will miss you in the Dark Blue.

59 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

I see Rogers has made a comment about Brown possibly dropping back into the centre of defence some time in the future.  It would just be typical if he became at success in a shortage area after he retired and was no longer available for selection.

It'll never happen - he was talking absolute nonsense. They'll splashing out £5M plus on centre halves, not trying out a rookie 34 year old well under 6 ft.

19 hours ago, stitch said:

Fletcher is not a Captain

How is Fletcher not a captain? He's more qualified for the role than anyone we've had in the last 20 years in my eyes.

Had it not been for his illness he should have 100 caps by now, and most of them with the armband.

21 hours ago, stitch said:

I'm a bit mixed on this.

Great Payer when fit and has done a good job for us.

He had a bad year for us but if he was playing through the pain barrier i can understand why and that shows commitment.

He has never had the play maker beside him and has had to do both jobs. we still don't have a player to do that job maybe we should try Bannan.

who else will be good enough to take the arm band. Fletcher is not a Captain and i struggle to think of anyone who is. This is just another thing we miss on the pitch as you should have 3 to 4 players who could be Captain on the pitch.

Thanks Brown for what you have done i will miss you in the Dark Blue.

Snodgrass should be way ahead of bannan. If even make him captain 

Edited by vanderark14

On 19/08/2016 at 2:09 PM, andyD said:

A shame given how this thread started. He's looked decent, and is a useful player to have, despite some below par performances due to playing thru long term injuries in recent years.

There's no way McArthur is the solution for the whole in midfield. He's clumsy on the ball and has made so many mistakes for us that's it's a wonder he's still near the squad.

For me it's Barry Bannan who will step into the position. He's been phenomenal in the last year, missing out on promotion by a goal in the playoff final and making the Championship team of the year. He's started this season solidly, playing in a deep anchor role, where his work-rate, ball control and distribution have all been key. He breaks up play, he starts play and he's calm with the ball, which is something we certainly lacked when Fletcher and McArthur have played recently.

Interesting thought but we play a 4-2-3-1 and is Bannan suited to the role of sitting midfielder? I've always seen him as a sort of withdrawn left winger. Is that where he's been playing for Sheff Wed.?

On 21/08/2016 at 6:17 AM, COLT NY said:

How is Fletcher not a captain? He's more qualified for the role than anyone we've had in the last 20 years in my eyes.

Had it not been for his illness he should have 100 caps by now, and most of them with the armband.

Fletcher  was a great player and is a great role model for any up and coming player but he is not a leader on or off the pitch so he is not Captain

On 21/08/2016 at 6:17 AM, COLT NY said:
On 21/08/2016 at 8:33 AM, vanderark14 said:

Snodgrass should be way ahead of bannan. If even make him captain 

Snodgrass does not play in the center he would be further forward just behind the striker.

On 8/19/2016 at 11:39 PM, Bingo Foot Soldier said:

Fair play to Scott. 50 caps has to applauded and some of the comments above are to be honest a disgrace. I am always disappointed when a player " retires " as I personally would run through a wall for a second wearing that jersey. If its his body failing I suppose at best it isn't the huffy retirals/temp retirals like Weir, Fletcher and Gough.  But the " thug " and " limited skill " patter is a joke. And guys who believe Lewis McLeod after three games should be drafted into the squad after three games really are crazy. Boy ought to get a full season under his belt.

Thanks Scott, we move on to Malta.

MacArthur is a better defensive midfielder IMO. I've no problem with the Thug comments because thats what he is.

as for a replacement captain, it'll be Flecther but I would love to see it given to Snoddgrass

Do wish that after signing him for Celtic, Strachan had let Brown play in a more attacking role like he used to for Hibs, instead of turning him into a defensive midfielder.

Scored on his debut against the USA (back in 2005) but had the goal wrongly disallowed didn't he ?

Edited by ErsatzThistle

On 21/08/2016 at 9:50 AM, Third Lanark said:

Interesting thought but we play a 4-2-3-1 and is Bannan suited to the role of sitting midfielder? I've always seen him as a sort of withdrawn left winger. Is that where he's been playing for Sheff Wed.?

This is their most recent game:

You can see what Bannan does in the first couple of minutes, sits in deep, spreads play around and runs around a lot, closing people down. He's quick enough on the ball to retain possession under pressure, good enough at passing to slot balls thru the opponents midfield and create opportunities, and he works hard enough to be a nuisance to the opposition (tho tackles in midfield tend not to make the highlights reel). I honestly don't think McArthur or Fletcher can do all three, there's certainly been no evidence of it for us lately.

15 hours ago, andyD said:

This is their most recent game:

You can see what Bannan does in the first couple of minutes, sits in deep, spreads play around and runs around a lot, closing people down. He's quick enough on the ball to retain possession under pressure, good enough at passing to slot balls thru the opponents midfield and create opportunities, and he works hard enough to be a nuisance to the opposition (tho tackles in midfield tend not to make the highlights reel). I honestly don't think McArthur or Fletcher can do all three, there's certainly been no evidence of it for us lately.

I'll tell you what Fletcher or McArthur wouldn't do.  They wouldn't be caught so far out of position as Bannan was for the first goal.  He's wide on the right and when the ball breaks forwards, look how much space the Leeds number 9 is in, in exactly the position that a supposed deep lying midfielder should be.  

To me that highlights the reasons why Bannan shouldn't be in the team, let alone playing in such an important position, he lacks discipline and will wander off wherever it suits him.   Scotland don't have any players that are good enough to give them a free role.

10 hours ago, Bingo Foot Soldier said:

" Thug " get a grip. I wonder if he wore a red jersey would you give him the same patter.

Can you actually give some " thug " like qualities that you have observed ? 

It will be Darren Fletcher who will be captain again.

absolute bull shite

1 hour ago, aaid said:

I'll tell you what Fletcher or McArthur wouldn't do.  They wouldn't be caught so far out of position as Bannan was for the first goal.  He's wide on the right and when the ball breaks forwards, look how much space the Leeds number 9 is in, in exactly the position that a supposed deep lying midfielder should be.  

To me that highlights the reasons why Bannan shouldn't be in the team, let alone playing in such an important position, he lacks discipline and will wander off wherever it suits him.   Scotland don't have any players that are good enough to give them a free role.

There's a lot wrong with Wednesday players positioning in the lead up to that, all over the field. They're massively over committed in a local derby match, and Bannan is covering at right back (Jack Hunt), since the actual right back is the guy up by the corner flag trying to kick their left back in the face and the winger (Ross Wallace) has gone up top to lend his mighty 5'6" to the aerial battle.

You can call it a lack of discipline, but he's come across to offer support to the isolated right back, and if he hadn't Wednesday would have lost possession earlier in the move, with just as many committed forwards. Even if Bannan is in there when the ball comes to the number 9 (Chris Wood), he's still 2v1 (Mowatt is just out of shot) and there are 3 Wednesday defenders stood back watching them in acres of space. Forestieri should have tracked back with Mowatt, Tom Lees should have been closer to number 9, Chris Wood (one of the slowest forwards in the world). It's all around a mess.

Going back to Bannan, the thing I'd probably criticise him for in that goal is chasing back to the ball, and not tracking the number 10. It's hard to see because he's out of shot, but Forestieri, who was with the goalscorer in the middle of the park lets him go that pulls Lees back and Bannan should have a clear sight of Mowatt pulling out to Leeds left wing as he's running back. Ultimately, Lees is in the wrong place, he's positioned like he has a right back and seemingly isn't aware that he doesn't.

But regardless of all of this.. we're dissecting 1 moment in what was probably Bannan's worst game of the last calendar year. If that moment was representative of what he does every week then he wouldn't be in the Wednesday side, let alone the Championship team of the season.

Disappointed to see Scott Brown go. Whilst his own individual performances may have become more inconsistent, he brings a drive and influence that cannot be ignored. On most occasions I think the team is poorer without him. When your team consists of mediocre players the drive of a captain is more important than ever.  Some translate that drive as thuggery.  I cannot think who can fill that void at present. Very much hope to be proven wrong. 

On the bright side, I can now feel no guilt whatsoever abusing him at domestic level. 

• 2 weeks later...