Scott Brown - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott Brown

er yir macaroon

6 minutes ago, LewisEDI said:

man of the match performance on his debut would suggest otherwise. he is the best up and coming midfield player we have. 

if we have to build a team around mcginn lets shut the hampden doors , hes playing in the Scottish championship for a reason

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

You'll need to watch very closely as he's only played about 75 minutes since joining them 20 months ago!

He's started all 3 league games this season, and has contributed to a few goals.

There's a good bit in the above video at about 1.40 where he wins the ball, plays a great through ball out wide then ends up hitting the bar. He's looking good.

28 minutes ago, LewisEDI said:

man of the match performance on his debut would suggest otherwise. he is the best up and coming midfield player we have. 

Weren't you telling us how brilliant Scott Allan was before too? (I may be getting you mixed up with someone else)

19 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Weren't you telling us how brilliant Scott Allan was before too? (I may be getting you mixed up with someone else)

correct. still stand by that. his attitude has ruined him though and should never have gone to celtic. file him alongside riordan

i'm not saying mcginn should be starting for scotland, but he's good enough to be in the squad as proven on his debut and from what i can see we don't have any better center mids coming through. 

not seen you ranting about that ryan jack recently old pal, wonder why  ;-) 

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

Shame so soon to the qualifiers (though I am sure him and Strachan have been discussing this over the summer).

Think Jame McArthur is probably the most likely candidate as a replacement (and really should have been getting his chance for a while now).

I think the result on Wednesday and the near guarantee of 6 extra midweek games in the CL will have been the reason for the timing being now.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

I'd definately start McArthur regardless as I think he's our best option as a defensive central midfielder.  I agree with Wanderer, I think Grant Hanley is a good shout as long term captain.  Guaranteed starter if fit and he seems to have captained every team he's played for so obviously has some leadership qualities 

I probably would too, he plays well at a good level and has been pretty consistent over a few season now.....but he is a player who has never really impressed me in his Scotland appearances. One of those that, IMO, at the moment doesn't take club form to international level.

20 minutes ago, LewisEDI said:

correct. still stand by that. his attitude has ruined him though and should never have gone to celtic. file him alongside riordan

i'm not saying mcginn should be starting for scotland, but he's good enough to be in the squad as proven on his debut and from what i can see we don't have any better center mids coming through. 

not seen you ranting about that ryan jack recently old pal, wonder why  ;-) 

Nah, he was just never that good. A player who flatters to deceive. 

Ryan Jack had a very poor season last year and regressed, unfortunately. He's started this season very well though, so hopefully he can get back on track. I wouldn't swap him for John McGinn AND Scott Allan, that's for sure. 

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

You'll need to watch very closely as he's only played about 75 minutes since joining them 20 months ago!

He's started the last 3, and played 82, 83 and 89 minutes in those.

MoTM in the last two games too

Edited by Debian

54 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

I think the result on Wednesday and the near guarantee of 6 extra midweek games in the CL will have been the reason for the timing being now.

I probably would too, he plays well at a good level and has been pretty consistent over a few season now.....but he is a player who has never really impressed me in his Scotland appearances. One of those that, IMO, at the moment doesn't take club form to international level.

For me McArthur's never really been given a proper run in the team to prove himself either way.  A lot - if not most - of his caps to date have been late substitutions.  The other thing is that in his position, you're probably not going to notice him much unless he has a stinker.

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Hmmm feel a bit annoyed at him making this decision to be honest. Fletcher could have done this before now but he still has the passion and wants to represent Scotland.

I think the majority are happy enough with this decision. Brown has had his ups and downa for us and I wish him all the best and thank him for hos contributions but it is best for Scotland that he is done and will no doubt help his weekly performance at Celtic too. Win for everyone, except you, but nobody gives a f*ck about that.

4 hours ago, runningtings said:

Been a great servant etc

Time to give McGinn a chance in my opinion, be more positive in midfield. 

Would think that's a good decision for Brown's club career though. 

McGinn? Numerous folk ahead of him. He'll need to get a move and play at a higher level for starters. 

3 hours ago, CovGer said:

Heard someone describe him once as a modern day Souness!  Not fit to clean his boots imo.

Flat track bully, outclassed against any decent midfield.

You are not biased in the slightest. Not one bit.

He was outstanding against the likes of Italy so your argument is nonsense. 

1 hour ago, clarky1606 said:

BRILLIANT NEWS!! I havent felt this good since Archie Gemmill scored against Holland in 1978

Hutton, Greer, D Fletcher, Maloney etc. to follow. Get the deadwood out and get young, hungry lads in :ok:

You never fail to amaze me with the sh1te you post. 

Well played.

A shame given how this thread started. He's looked decent, and is a useful player to have, despite some below par performances due to playing thru long term injuries in recent years.

There's no way McArthur is the solution for the whole in midfield. He's clumsy on the ball and has made so many mistakes for us that's it's a wonder he's still near the squad.

For me it's Barry Bannan who will step into the position. He's been phenomenal in the last year, missing out on promotion by a goal in the playoff final and making the Championship team of the year. He's started this season solidly, playing in a deep anchor role, where his work-rate, ball control and distribution have all been key. He breaks up play, he starts play and he's calm with the ball, which is something we certainly lacked when Fletcher and McArthur have played recently.

20 minutes ago, Kirk said:

I think the majority are happy enough with this decision. Brown has had his ups and downa for us and I wish him all the best and thank him for hos contributions but it is best for Scotland that he is done and will no doubt help his weekly performance at Celtic too. Win for everyone, except you, but nobody gives a f*ck about that.

Weird comment.

He's pish now so it's not a greta loss but it's more annoying that he has quit rather than just been razed out which is what I was hoping for.

3 minutes ago, andyD said:

A shame given how this thread started. He's looked decent, and is a useful player to have, despite some below par performances due to playing thru long term injuries in recent years.

There's no way McArthur is the solution for the whole in midfield. He's clumsy on the ball and has made so many mistakes for us that's it's a wonder he's still near the squad.

For me it's Barry Bannan who will step into the position. He's been phenomenal in the last year, missing out on promotion by a goal in the playoff final and making the Championship team of the year. He's started this season solidly, playing in a deep anchor role, where his work-rate, ball control and distribution have all been key. He breaks up play, he starts play and he's calm with the ball, which is something we certainly lacked when Fletcher and McArthur have played recently.

Obviously I'd love him to be in the team,but his strengths are more effective further forward,don't think his defensive qualities are good enough to be honest.I'd like to see him in  a John Robertson type role.

18 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You are not biased in the slightest. Not one bit.

He was outstanding against the likes of Italy so your argument is nonsense. 

I'm the first one to point out there's been plenty of Celtic players over the the years representing Scotland with absolute distinction.  Some legends in fact. Brown ain't one of them.