Scott Brown - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott Brown

er yir macaroon

1 minute ago, Bannannan said:

Obviously I'd love him to be in the team,but his strengths are more effective further forward,don't think his defensive qualities are good enough to be honest.I'd like to see him in  a John Robertson type role.

He bossed the midfield against both Villa and Norwich in the first two games of the season, playing largely as the lone defensive mid (Lee and Abdi played further forward) often dropping back to between the central defenders. For us he's more likely to be part of a defensive 2, with Morrison. I think they could actually play well together as they're both good technically and have good football brains. with Snoddy ahead and Anya and Burke offering wide, there are definitely going to be lovely opportunities for someone with Bannan's distribution.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 18/08/2016 at 6:29 AM, ErsatzThistle said:

In the past twelve months I've been a big critic of Brown but if he is starting to find his old form once again then great ! 

A rejuvenated Scott Brown would be handy for the England games.

That's that oot the windae then !

26 minutes ago, andyD said:

For me it's Barry Bannan who will step into the position. He's been phenomenal in the last year, missing out on promotion by a goal in the playoff final 

A game in which he was completely anonymous 

1 hour ago, McDange said:

David Marshall for captain. Have we ever had a keeper captain? 

Along with Leighton, there were another four goalie captains........ but they were a long time ago.

Archie Rowan, Robert Gardner*, George Gillespie and Kenny Campbell.

*Also played as an outfield player.

I'm delighted at the news. He has been poor for Scotland in recent years yet when fit would constantly be picked. This now means Strachan will have no choice but to change a midfield that has failed us. Might seem harsh but the team needs change. Annoyed though that someone who has been handed the captains armband has decided to walk away. 
Not something a player like Kenny Miller etc would do! Now he was a player that really did give everything!

25 minutes ago, Rory said:

Not something a player like Kenny Miller etc would do! Now he was a player that really did give everything!

i aam sure Kenny Miller did just that, he announced after Scoring against England he didnt want to be picked again....   3 years ago, he was a first pick till then.

no criticism from me, just pointing out an error in your post.....

Probably the right decision and he may find it easier at his age and with injury problems to just concentrate on his club career.  I saw him make his international debut and he promised great things.  He's had a good international career and its a shame he'll miss the engalnd games, a rejuvenated Scott Brown firing on all cylinders would have been an asset.  However football moves on and it gives a chance for others to be involved.  Shame that Scott Arfield has decided for Canada, box to box midfield player with an eye for goal, playing at the highest level and less likely to get red carded.

Will be a shame to see broony go but I totally understand his reasons. He always gave Scotland his all ( even though his long term injury's ment he couldn't perform as he has in the past) he has to think of his body and how much damage has been done\will be done playing for club and country and how long it now takes for recovery. So long broon and thanks for the efforts. 

On the replacement front I think a pairing of MacArthur and fletcher would be best if we stick to the formation we have used up to now. Maybe wgs will look to play a different formation depending on who is available and who he thinks is playing on form

42 minutes ago, hunchy said:

Will be a shame to see broony go but I totally understand his reasons. He always gave Scotland his all ( even though his long term injury's ment he couldn't perform as he has in the past) he has to think of his body and how much damage has been done\will be done playing for club and country and how long it now takes for recovery. So long broon and thanks for the efforts. 

On the replacement front I think a pairing of MacArthur and fletcher would be best if we stick to the formation we have used up to now. Maybe wgs will look to play a different formation depending on who is available and who he thinks is playing on form

Dont think WGS knows another formation.

Surprised at how few mentions of James Morrision there are here, for me our most consistent central midfielder for the past couple of years.

As for Scott Brown, always a shame to see a player's career run its course but in the last campaign he was certainly a shadow of the player he had been. A brave decision to take though.

Seems like no time since he came off the bench v Georgia to help turn the game back in our favour.

4 minutes ago, oneforcolin said:

Scott Brown was, is, and will continue to be a talent-less wee thug.

The fact he has 50 caps shows how far we have fallen.

Bye.

Disagree. Limited in terms of skill, but very effective when fit at closing down, tackling, tracking back etc, and over the last few years he has developed in terms of ball retention. Also good levels of aggression and drive. Problem is he should be an unsung hero :mellow:. We just don't have enough talent to make his contribution unremarkable. Don't think we will miss him much on recent form. So, agree a bit. :lol:

3 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Surprised at how few mentions of James Morrision there are here, for me our most consistent central midfielder for the past couple of years.

As for Scott Brown, always a shame to see a player's career run its course but in the last campaign he was certainly a shadow of the player he had been. A brave decision to take though.

Seems like no time since he came off the bench v Georgia to help turn the game back in our favour.

Been a massive fan of James Morrison, but I am afraid he is another player who's best years are behind him.

Fair play to Scott. 50 caps has to applauded and some of the comments above are to be honest a disgrace. I am always disappointed when a player " retires " as I personally would run through a wall for a second wearing that jersey. If its his body failing I suppose at best it isn't the huffy retirals/temp retirals like Weir, Fletcher and Gough.  But the " thug " and " limited skill " patter is a joke. And guys who believe Lewis McLeod after three games should be drafted into the squad after three games really are crazy. Boy ought to get a full season under his belt.

Thanks Scott, we move on to Malta.

Good Scotland player and captain. But his time had gone and he took the decision out of Strachan's hand who would have still picked him. Says more about Strachan than Brown. Should be picking younger players and bleeding them for Euro 2020 when we will have more chance of qualifying. Anyway onwards and upwards.

Edited by bigphil25