The big cup - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The big cup

Fair play to the Tims, especially after being pegged back to 3-2. Whilst that mob weren't brilliant, anyone could see they had two or three very decent players. Going over there with only one goal advantage would have made it a very tricky game imo. As it is, their manager took a chance and they have buried the tie. In as much as I wanted them to get horsed you have to say fair fecks to them,  a well-deserved win imo. 

As for the flag issue, you really do wonder what planet some of these Muppets are on. Its  playground politics for retards. The same khunts with a flag tonight won't have attended a rally, march, debate, pressure group or joined a political movement or charity in their puff. Utter ####wits that believe flying a flag for a country they know bugger all about will make a difference to those suffering in that country, whilst knowingly punishing the club they claim to support. It's no wonder folk rip the pish out of them, including a huge number of their own supporters. 

Edited by Angus_Young

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were better than expected and it was seriously squeaky bum time when they got their 2nd. As for the flags debacle, I don't see anything wrong with it. The Israeli state sponsor a policy of apartheid, if anyone thinks that's a good thing then fair play to them. Waving a couple of flags is, I'm fairly sure not about to put a stop to the dreadful conditions the Palestinians face in Gaza and the West Bank but it does  help to highlight their situation and know that some people think their treatment at the hands of the Israeli authorities and the IDF is disgraceful. Many of the protesters outside Celtic Park are involved personally in various pro Palestinian groups and indeed charities which try and help the plight of the Palestinians stuck in their ghettoes. I was at the game and no-one was slagging them off where I was sitting although some folk were worried about the club facing sanctions. Ironic given that uefa were using the game to promote their "fight racism" campaign. It's a complex situation with plenty of illogical hatred on both sides but there is no doubt in my mind that Israels treatment of the Palestinian people is worse than the treatment of black South Africans I during apartheid there. 

39 minutes ago, neilly71 said:

They were better than expected and it was seriously squeaky bum time when they got their 2nd. As for the flags debacle, I don't see anything wrong with it. The Israeli state sponsor a policy of apartheid, if anyone thinks that's a good thing then fair play to them. Waving a couple of flags is, I'm fairly sure not about to put a stop to the dreadful conditions the Palestinians face in Gaza and the West Bank but it does  help to highlight their situation and know that some people think their treatment at the hands of the Israeli authorities and the IDF is disgraceful. Many of the protesters outside Celtic Park are involved personally in various pro Palestinian groups and indeed charities which try and help the plight of the Palestinians stuck in their ghettoes. I was at the game and no-one was slagging them off where I was sitting although some folk were worried about the club facing sanctions. Ironic given that uefa were using the game to promote their "fight racism" campaign. It's a complex situation with plenty of illogical hatred on both sides but there is no doubt in my mind that Israels treatment of the Palestinian people is worse than the treatment of black South Africans I during apartheid there. 

Good post. Although I wouldn't waste my time trying to educate the trolls on here.

17 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

JS97372927.jpg

Credit to every single person who chose to show their support for a people who have been being ethnically cleansed for over 50 years now. Make no mistake, this an ethnic cleansing that the western world are complicit in. 

Any action UEFA take will only reflect negatively on them, not Celtic (unless Celtic themselves condemn their fans actions) or the fans who chose to raise these flags. The more people who highlight the situation in Palestine and the abhorrent actions that the people there have to endure every single day, the better. 

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I've seen us win the Scottish and the League Cup in my lifetime. I started going in 1989-1990 season when i was 5. 

I've never seen us relegated in over 25 years of watching us. How many times have you seen Hibs relegated? 

Shock horror, a club from the capital city has more season ticket holders than a club from a town of 45,000. Shame Hearts have thousands more eh?

You can sell as many season tickets as you want, you'll still be sh1te, playing in lower league and managed by a bellend. .

Get back to your thread about plumbing, maybe you can find a way to find a way to stop the p1sh coming out your month.

:lol:

16 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Credit to every single person who chose to show their support for a people who have been being ethnically cleansed for over 50 years now. Make no mistake, this an ethnic cleansing that the western world are complicit in. 

Any action UEFA take will only reflect negatively on them, not Celtic (unless Celtic themselves condemn their fans actions) or the fans who chose to raise these flags. The more people who highlight the situation in Palestine and the abhorrent actions that the people there have to endure every single day, the better. 

Good post. I understand the club have received messages of support from all over the world over last night's display.

UEFA have received hundreds of e:mails from you know who demanding sanctions are imposed against Celtic. Apparently the Daily Retard had it on their website within 2 minutes of it happening?

24 minutes ago, Parklife said:

100%  correct Parky , good post.

If Uefa want to argue the case , Celtic can tell them that the flags represent all the colours that they play in [

green & white 1st kit

Black - 2nd kit

pinky/red 3rd kit 

16 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Well said ma man. Interesting that there are numerous individuals on here who have shown sympathy for Palestine previously, but as soon as The Green Brigade also show support for the cause, they revert to petty club squabbles and can't admit that The Green Brigade have highlighted a very important issue.

Also worth noting that the Group themselves have a refugee fitba tournament every summer that raises money for Palestine amongst others, and I read an article the other day stating that numerous members have been to Palestine to see how the charities use the money which has been raised.

Someone also mentioned earlier about spotty 15 year olds read hoisting flags of a place that they couldn't pinpoint on a map? Well, to be honest, If a spotty 15 year old went home last night and decided to read up on a conflict which has led to the endless slaughter of thousands of innocent people and in turn gained a little bit more knowledge of the type of world we live in, then thats job done I say.

As for the game, we done well, Brown and Forrest were excellent, a sentence I haven't used for about 4 years. if we get through I still expect us too get humped on a couple of occasions but last night was fun.

37 minutes ago, Mox said:

Well said ma man. Interesting that there are numerous individuals on here who have shown sympathy for Palestine previously, but as soon as The Green Brigade also show support for the cause, they revert to petty club squabbles and can't admit that The Green Brigade have highlighted a very important issue.

Also worth noting that the Group themselves have a refugee fitba tournament every summer that raises money for Palestine amongst others, and I read an article the other day stating that numerous members have been to Palestine to see how the charities use the money which has been raised.

Someone also mentioned earlier about spotty 15 year olds read hoisting flags of a place that they couldn't pinpoint on a map? Well, to be honest, If a spotty 15 year old went home last night and decided to read up on a conflict which has led to the endless slaughter of thousands of innocent people and in turn gained a little bit more knowledge of the type of world we live in, then thats job done I say.

As for the game, we done well, Brown and Forrest were excellent, a sentence I haven't used for about 4 years. if we get through I still expect us too get humped on a couple of occasions but last night was fun.

Anyone who can't view things, especially important issues like this, free of petty bias aren't worth listening to anyway. 

Personally I find it very sad that this has all been co-opted into the old firm rivalry. 

My understanding is that Glasgow's Jewish community tend to be blue nosed in their football leanings and this all started when a few Israeli flags appeared at games some years ago and then predictably a few Palestinian ones on the green side and several dozen iterations later here we are... 

Do people really think this is sincere. It is sad.

4 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Personally I find it very sad that this has all been co-opted into the old firm rivalry. 

My understanding is that Glasgow's Jewish community tend to be blue nosed in their football leanings and this all started when a few Israeli flags appeared at games some years ago and then predictably a few Palestinian ones on the green side and several dozen iterations later here we are... 

You'll also have the sad, bigoted neds that are doing it due to the history between Catholics and Jews. It's pathetic. 

23 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Nonsense, Celtic fans have had links with the  Palestinian cause since I was a kid (and that wisnae yesterday). Anyway what has any of this to do with Rangers?

32 minutes ago, Ormond said:

You'll also have the sad, bigoted neds that are doing it due to the history between Catholics and Jews. It's pathetic. 

I'd be astonished if more than a few dozen people within that section identifies as a Catholic. I go with seven others and know plenty more all of a similar demographic to those that have season books in the standing section and not one of us identifies as Catholic.

Celtic played well from what I heard and deserved the win. Defence is obviously not solid yet, so could make the Old Firm game a 5-4 classic!

As for all the pish about the flags, who cares really? It's a dumb move as Celtic will be fined by UEFA, it's a standard thing now. Obviously the Green Brigade care more about their many causes then their club. Makes you wonder why they actually go to the games.

3 hours ago, neilly71 said:

I'm sure many of us on here would agree with you. Equally, there are millions the world over who wouldn't.

However, that's not the point. UEFA....quite rightly....forbids fans, teams and players from making overtly political statements. Them's the rules, and they're there for a reason.

The GB are quite welcome to hold rallies in Glasgow outside of football games in support of Palestinians. Or IRA prisoners. Or long dead Irish patriots that nobody in Scotland knew or gives a shit about. 

I do realise though that they then might not get the same 'look at me' attention though, or have the chance to become martyrs. 

Regardless of that, they can fill their boots. Outside the stadium.

The rest of us will get on with watching football and supporting our teams. 

Flag display simply a get it right up you to the opposition fans. A team with three Palestinians playing for them and renowned for being one of the more liberal fan base.

Thought Celtic played well. 4-2 would have been dodgy but Celtic will get through with a bit to spare.

54 minutes ago, Rossy said:

I'm sure many of us on here would agree with you. Equally, there are millions the world over who wouldn't.

However, that's not the point. UEFA....quite rightly....forbids fans, teams and players from making overtly political statements. Them's the rules, and they're there for a reason.

The GB are quite welcome to hold rallies in Glasgow outside of football games in support of Palestinians. Or IRA prisoners. Or long dead Irish patriots that nobody in Scotland knew or gives a shit about. 

I do realise though that they then might not get the same 'look at me' attention though, or have the chance to become martyrs. 

Regardless of that, they can fill their boots. Outside the stadium.

The rest of us will get on with watching football and supporting our teams. 

Your whole post exemplifies why it was worthwhile to do what these Celtic fans did. :ok: 

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

Well said. Folk only throw their arms up be use its Celtic but at least you can see through it. 

last night was brilliant, apart from 10 minutes where I just had Malmö throwbacks. Said a lot about the team that we went on to score another 2. Should see this through but they did have threats. An early goal over there would settle nerves. 

9 minutes ago, wembley67lisbon said:

Well said. Folk only throw their arms up be use its Celtic but at least you can see through it. 

I still hope yous get pumped though :) 

In general, anyone making a big thing about flags, good chance he/she is a rocket. Flags somehow seem to attract those who just can't keep a sense of perspective about things. As an example, if someone  has a flagpole in their front garden they are an arsehole, don't care what flag they stick up it. But I respect and rather admire what some of the Celtic fans did last night.

Edited by Pool Q