The big cup - Page 11 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The big cup

Crazy talk I know but what odds would dons fans on here be willing to bet against Aberdeen never getting ahead of Rangers in this SPL race from this point on? Any 'winnings' on either side to the Sunshine Appeal.

Are folk crazy enough to think it will be anything other than the usual top 2 finish now. Really?

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Crazy talk I know but what odds would dons fans on here be willing to bet against Aberdeen never getting ahead of Rangers in this SPL race from this point on? Any 'winnings' on either side to the Sunshine Appeal.

Are folk crazy enough to think it will be anything other than the usual top 2 finish now. Really?

I offered a Rangers Vs Aberdeen bet weeks ago. Proceeds to a charity of the opponents choice. 

Only Angus Young took me up on it. 

Edited by Parklife

11 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Celtic increasing their financial stranglehold over every team in Scotland by £10 million is good for "Scottish football" how? 

Didnt say it was good for Scottish domestic football but,and im not influenced by Sky tv,i happen to like the CL and im happy to see a Scottish team playing in it.

18 minutes ago, Bannannan said:

Didnt say it was good for Scottish domestic football but,and im not influenced by Sky tv,i happen to like the CL and im happy to see a Scottish team playing in it.

If you're looking for good TV shows, can I recommend American Horror Story and Dexter?

Edited by Parklife

24 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I listened to the radio and various media before the game and they all unanimously toe this line that it will be great for Scottish football. I just don't get it. It's great for Celtic fc and that's it. Rangers will inevitably get their act together in time. The rest will be 20 plus points behind as per the last decade.Yes there are a  quite a few Scots at Celtic at the moment but give it a few windows and Rodgers will be spending and bringing in pricey foreigners as per the demand from the fans and bringing the best young talent from the other teams in Scotland who hurt them in the odd game.(and spend the majority of their time on the bench).The Scots in the squad will eventually make there way to the championship. (you've got to say though Tierney as a big career in front of him).

It's utterly depressing.

1 hour ago, Rossy said:

Aye, because Celtic being handed 22 million because they had the luck to just scrape past 3 of the worst teams in the draw is great for the Scottish game as a whole... :ok:

I want to see as many Scottish players playing elite European football as possible. Likes of Griffiths, Tierney, Forrest, Gordon, McGregor, Henderson will be playing champions league football. Whether  celtic get  £22m is immaterial IMO. They'll win the league at a canter regardless. 

Sorry for my empty post above. Could not remove a quote which i had in my box at all. Just could remove tve content. 

Piss poor Performance by celtic. Cant see any other positive aspect from it other than we made it. Brown with a last season Performance, Janko...well. not nice to pick particular players.

I try to focuse on the fact that we could hold on a 2:0 somehow and BR probably will get 1-2 players from these 20-30 mio minimum CL income. But i still dont like CL and think we be cannon fodder and struggle to see us claim 3rd for Euro League.

To think that Celtic dominates the SP(F)L for some time now yet is so poor in comparism with european teams is a sad affair. The extra money wont close the domestic gap nor improve scottish football. It is nice for us Celtic fans and 1-2 scottish players.

8 hours ago, Jagtag said:

:ok: but I don't give a toss about the money I just want to see young Scots playing against the top teams and improving their game. As much as I want anyone to win the league who isn't old firm it annoys me when so called Scotland fans want Scottish players to fail then question our ability to reach major finals. 

Celtic and Rangers (as they were) have been scraping into the Champions League for years and years now, enduring various levels of humiliation but scooping up the cash at the same time.

Tell me again what good this has done Scottish football as a whole, and the international side in particular ?

What 'young Scottish players' have benefitted from the experience....maybe going on to bigger and better things with top European clubs, and become international stars ?

7 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I want to see as many Scottish players playing elite European football as possible. Likes of Griffiths, Tierney, Forrest, Gordon, McGregor, Henderson will be playing champions league football.  

This is a straw man argument that has been banded about for 20 years now but has no basis in reality.

I refer to my post above. Tell me which Scottish players have benefitted from playing 'elite European football' with the OF in the last 20 years, and have went on to be top international players because of it ?

At various times we've had loads of OF youngsters being banded around as the new superstar.....Danny Crainey, Danny Wilson, Tony Watt, Mark Burchill, James Forrest...that's just a list of names I can think of in 10 seconds, and there are countless more.

All of them apparently going to benefit from top level football...except that none of them do. So what's the benefit for Scottish football in Celtic scooping up another £22 million or whatever for scraping past a few weak teams ? Where's this benefit to the international side that everyone keeps going on about ?

I'm still waiting.

13 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Celtic and Rangers (as they were) have been scraping into the Champions League for years and years now, enduring various levels of humiliation but scooping up the cash at the same time.

Tell me again what good this has done Scottish football as a whole, and the international side in particular ?

What 'young Scottish players' have benefitted from the experience....maybe going on to bigger and better things with top European clubs, and become international stars ?

Alan Hutton.

8 hours ago, JECK said:

I just don't get it. It's great for Celtic fc and that's it. Rangers will inevitably get their act together in time. The rest will be 20 plus points behind as per the last decade.Yes there are a  quite a few Scots at Celtic at the moment but give it a few windows and Rodgers will be spending and bringing in pricey foreigners as per the demand from the fans and bringing the best young talent from the other teams in Scotland who hurt them in the odd game.(and spend the majority of their time on the bench).The Scots in the squad will eventually make there way to the championship. (you've got to say though Tierney as a big career in front of him).

It's utterly depressing.

Good post.

Just can't see anything else bar this. The lure of Ingerlundshire to young lads is too great because as with everything, it's aw about the money.

As fir the points raised around Celtic players playing at the top level. Do folk genuinely think that Scottish lads getting humped in 90% a CL games will benefit the players and Scotland ?

That is utter madness. Aye it may instill the losing is ok mentality because we're playing a better team. As fir the "it's good experience" pash....The only benefit is purely financial for the club involved. 

9 hours ago, Ormond said:

:lol: Quality fishing!

Fishing? Just stating facts.

It appears Scottish football would be a better product if all teams were abject failures in Europe a la Hearts, Aberdeen and Motherwell to name a few though.

24 minutes ago, Rossy said:

This is a straw man argument that has been banded about for 20 years now but has no basis in reality.

I refer to my post above. Tell me which Scottish players have benefitted from playing 'elite European football' with the OF in the last 20 years, and have went on to be top international players because of it ?

At various times we've had loads of OF youngsters being banded around as the new superstar.....Danny Crainey, Danny Wilson, Tony Watt, Mark Burchill, James Forrest...that's just a list of names I can think of in 10 seconds, and there are countless more.

All of them apparently going to benefit from top level football...except that none of them do. So what's the benefit for Scottish football in Celtic scooping up another £22 million or whatever for scraping past a few weak teams ? Where's this benefit to the international side that everyone keeps going on about ?

I'm still waiting.

Would you prefer they weren't playing top level football? Would you prefer all Scottish teams to be out of Europe? We're poor neighbours in relation to England on a variety of footballing senses. Any positive news is good news as far as i'm concerned. 

I;d say Celtic having far more Scottish players playing regularly now than they had 10-15 years ago will benefit the national side, it certainly won't hinder us.

Nobody can compete with Celtic (and Rangers) in terms of finance, not even when they were getting papped out Europe early doors. 

Had Aberdeen got through to the Europa league then they would have got a cash bonanza and made the gap between them and other SPL teams bigger in terms of finance. I wanted Aberdeen (And Hibs & Hearts) to progress.though.

Each to their own.

2 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Fishing? Just stating facts.

It appears Scottish football would be a better product if all teams were abject failures in Europe a la Hearts, Aberdeen and Motherwell to name a few though.

I think all of these clubs would be more succesful than Celtic in Europe, given the same finances.

None of us have lost to a team from Gibraltar, for a start...

22 minutes ago, Tartan_Don said:

Good post.

Just can't see anything else bar this. The lure of Ingerlundshire to young lads is too great because as with everything, it's aw about the money.

As fir the points raised around Celtic players playing at the top level. Do folk genuinely think that Scottish lads getting humped in 90% a CL games will benefit the players and Scotland ?

That is utter madness. Aye it may instill the losing is ok mentality because we're playing a better team. As fir the "it's good experience" pash....The only benefit is purely financial for the club involved. 

I can't remember either Celtic or Rangers getting pumped in 90% of games? Care to provide info on when this was? 

2 minutes ago, Rossy said:

I think all of these clubs would be more succesful than Celtic in Europe, given the same finances.

None of us have lost to a team from Gibraltar, for a start...

Just you keep up that level if seethe...it's highly amusing each and every time we scrape a result in Europe. 

Big if that by the way. 

3 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Would you prefer they weren't playing top level football? Would you prefer all Scottish teams to be out of Europe? We're poor neighbours in relation to England on a variety of footballing senses. Any positive news is good news as far as i'm concerned. 

I;d say Celtic having far more Scottish players playing regularly now than they had 10-15 years ago will benefit the national side, it certainly won't hinder us.

Nobody can compete with Celtic (and Rangers) in terms of finance, not even when they were getting papped out Europe early doors. 

Had Aberdeen got through to the Europa league then they would have got a cash bonanza and made the gap between them and other SPL teams bigger in terms of finance. I wanted Aberdeen (And Hibs & Hearts) to progress.though.

Each to their own.

I only stated the absolute fact that having Scottish players playing for Celtic or Rangers in the Champions League has proved to be of absolutely no benefit to Scottish football as a whole.

I wish it was, but it isn't.

As pointed out above, the sole benefit of Champions League football is of financial gain for the business. Football wise, it's done nothing for Scotland.

6 minutes ago, Rossy said:

I only stated the absolute fact that having Scottish players playing for Celtic or Rangers in the Champions League has proved to be of absolutely no benefit to Scottish football as a whole.

I wish it was, but it isn't.

As pointed out above, the sole benefit of Champions League football is of financial gain for the business. Football wise, it's done nothing for Scotland.

What benefit would not qualifying do?