The big cup - Page 13 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The big cup

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Again.

There is absolutely no evidence at all that this is the case.

Celtic (or Rangers) being in the CL...or CL qualifiers and Europa League....every season for the last 20 has not produced a better standard of Scottish player.

while I agree,generally   the fact is Scotland could have been a lot shytier..........if we didnt have these players..........  perhaps the CL etc just made oor shite a wee bit better....

but maybee no................ 

8 minutes ago, stocky said:

while I agree,generally   the fact is Scotland could have been a lot shytier..........if we didnt have these players..........  perhaps the CL etc just made oor shite a wee bit better....

Doesn't bare thinking about, to be honest.

In all seriousness, European competition has been rigged to stop countries like Scotland (Sweden, Hungary etc) getting through and messing up the TV schedules.  We should probably not even bother our arses entering until they decide to revert to sporting integrity.

Until then, all that Celtic progressing achieves is furtehr unbalancing our already horrendously one-sided league.

45 minutes ago, stocky said:

Thats kind of the point I'm trying to make too.

It's not going to produce better players, it might just make a couple of the ones we do produce slightly better.

The difference now to your Brian Irvine analogy is that he'd have left Falkirk for Mansfield town or Accrington Stanley because they could offer him double the wages of Aberdeen.

I would cite Charlie Mulgrew as an example of a player who has improved playing CL football. One game in particular in Milan, him and Scott Brown were excellent in centre of midfield. Performing well in those sort of games surely gives the player confidence so that when he is pitched in to midfield at say Wembley or at home v Ireland, both games where I thought he was one of our better players, he knows he is good enough at that level. He has played and performed in games of a similar level so both he and the manager know he can do it again.

Kieran Tierney came to prominence in only his 5th appearance for Celtic, at home to Fenerbache albeit in Europa League. Had an excellent game that night against a good quality side, hasn't looked back.

1 minute ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

I would cite Charlie Mulgrew as an example of a player who has improved playing CL football. One game in particular in Milan, him and Scott Brown were excellent in centre of midfield. Performing well in those sort of games surely gives the player confidence so that when he is pitched in to midfield at say Wembley or at home v Ireland, both games where I thought he was one of our better players, he knows he is good enough at that level. He has played and performed in games of a similar level so both he and the manager know he can do it again.

Kieran Tierney came to prominence in only his 5th appearance for Celtic, at home to Fenerbache albeit in Europa League. Had an excellent game that night against a good quality side, hasn't looked back.

Aye, but did they turn in to Messi and Ronaldo?

1 hour ago, adamntg said:

Where are Ciftci, GMS and Armstrong anyway?

Ciftci featured in pre-season and the two games v the Gibraltar lot but no appearances since then. GMS has been injured I believe. Armstrong played in first 4 European games and Hearts game but since Rogic has come back to fitness he has been benched.

1 hour ago, Langtonian said:

Why wouldn,t they?

11 other clubs in the top flight benefit from Celtics qualification

Is it not maybe to do with the teams that were in the league during the qualification season? No idea if that's right or not, just a guess!!

Hadn't realised that Celtic hadn't played Real Madrid in a competitive game before? My mum and dad's neighbour scored the winner for them in the Di Stefano testimonial right enough. 

I wouldn't have minded being that this game...

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/kilmarnock-fc_real-madrid/index/spielbericht/2254907

19 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

See this bolded part. Its just p!sh!

We have bought 7 players from other Scottish clubs in the last 9 seasons, including this one. One of those was Paul Slane. We have hit Dundee Utd hardest, taking Armstrong, GMS and Ciftci although considering the deal for the last one, I think we know who benefited most out that deal. 

We have taken Stokes and Scott Allan from Hibs but Allan was in the Championship at the time and not exactly someone who could "play well against them". We also loaned Hibs Henderson as part of that deal I believe. The other one is Ryan Christie who is now starting to get the odd appearance.

So thats it, 7 players over 9 seasons, unless we go mad and plunder the SPL in the next week. Ohh and you could add Charlie Mulgrew in there as another but I believe that was freedom of contract? Is that really such a crime that so many make out it to be? 8 players at most over 9 seasons, less than 1 a season.

FTR, Hearts have taken 25 players from other Scottish clubs in the same period.

well out of the ones you quoted, GMS and Cifici were top players for Dundee Utd and they, especially Ciftci have rotted away on the bench or in the stands. Scott Allan  and Ryan Christie ditto. Maybe not a huge amount of players but all critical to their teams and not playing first team football now. Having said that, it's a bit early to say about Christie and I think he may well get a chance  

2 minutes ago, dipped flake said:

well out of the ones you quoted, GMS and Cifici were top players for Dundee Utd and they, especially Ciftci have rotted away on the bench or in the stands. Scott Allan  and Ryan Christie ditto. Maybe not a huge amount of players but all critical to their teams and not playing first team football now. Having said that, it's a bit early to say about Christie and I think he may well get a chance  

Paul Slane was in the Motherwell first team squadbut left for Celtic where he made 1 substitute appearance in 3 years. Looked to have a promising career ahead of him too.

Although this from his Wikipedia probably says more about why he didn't realise his potential...

"A couple of months after leaving Celtic with a £10,000 pay-off, Slane appeared in the Scottish tabloid press as a result of a four-day 'bender' in Amsterdam with friends. Compromising pictures of him appeared on Twitter which he initially claimed were faked but later admitted were real. Slane had initially intended to spend his pay-off from Celtic to fund a hip operation, but ended spending most of it on nights out and the trip to Amsterdam"

:lol:

45 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Hadn't realised that Celtic hadn't played Real Madrid in a competitive game before? My mum and dad's neighbour scored the winner for them in the Di Stefano testimonial right enough. 

I wouldn't have minded being that this game...

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/kilmarnock-fc_real-madrid/index/spielbericht/2254907

Celtic played Real Madrid in the european cup about 1984,winning first game at home 2-0.Scorers Doyle and Mccluskey.Attendance 67000.

Remember it well as I lost my wallet,or was relieved of it.

Real Madrid won second leg 3-0.Attendance 110000.

I think it's worth mentioning that Celtic often drop points before and after Champions League matches. This gives teams a chance to get ahead / keep up with Celtic. The longer we are in Europe, the more competitive the league will be. 

It will be good to see how Tierney and Griffiths get on at this level. 

13 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I think it's worth mentioning that Celtic often drop points before and after Champions League matches. This gives teams a chance to get ahead / keep up with Celtic. The longer we are in Europe, the more competitive the league will be. 

It will be good to see how Tierney and Griffiths get on at this level. 

Aye I seem to mind a pretty mental stat the year you got to the uefa cup final, for league points dropped after European ties. 

Comes with the territory though, and can't imagine many of your fans will give a shite about that. 

Edited by Angus_Young

23 minutes ago, jim.mccole said:

Celtic played Real Madrid in the european cup about 1984,winning first game at home 2-0.Scorers Doyle and Mccluskey.Attendance 67000.

Aye, mind those games, must've been before 1984 though as Johnny Doyle died in 1982 I think.

Edited by Toepoke

1 hour ago, jim.mccole said:

I stand corrected, i should pay attention to tims in work.

Was that played at Hampden given the size of crowd?

1 hour ago, dipped flake said:

Aye but you said Celtic buy "any player who plays well against them and then never play them". So has there only been 8 players who have played well against us in 9 seasons? One of whom, Allan, never actually played against us and one of whom, Mulgrew, has actually played a lot since signing, on a Bosman, and ended up a Scotland international. So that leaves 6 players who we have supposedly bought and "wasted", in 9 seasons. How many of the 25 players you have taken from other Scottish clubs in the same period have you "wasted"?