The big cup - Page 14 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The big cup

8 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I stand corrected, i should pay attention to tims in work.

Was that played at Hampden given the size of crowd?

Nope, that was Parkheads capacity at the time. Have been in plenty of 67,000 capacities even when I started going in 84 - Rangers games, European games. The Dundee title win game in 1988 had an unofficial attendance of 70,000+. Celtic fans filled Rangers end, the segregation area in the Rangers end and there were loads sitting trackside as well. 

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

It was the 1980 quarter final. 

Have the programme for that one in the loft. Remember they scored late in the away leg to go 3-0 up and knock us out. Actually just looked at Wiki and we beat Partian Tirani of Albania in round 1 and then Dundalk in round 2 to get to the quarters! Real Madrid got pumped by Hamburg in the semi's.

23 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

I think it's worth mentioning that Celtic often drop points before and after Champions League matches. This gives teams a chance to get ahead / keep up with Celtic. The longer we are in Europe, the more competitive the league will be. 

It will be good to see how Tierney and Griffiths get on at this level. 

23 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

Aye I seem to mind a pretty mental stat the year you got to the uefa cup final, for league points dropped after European ties. 

Comes with the territory though, and can't imagine many of your fans will give a shite about that. 

Celtic have won the last 18 domestic games in a row following European games.

On 25 August 2016 at 9:07 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

Hadn't realised that Celtic hadn't played Real Madrid in a competitive game before? My mum and dad's neighbour scored the winner for them in the Di Stefano testimonial right enough. 

I wouldn't have minded being that this game...

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/kilmarnock-fc_real-madrid/index/spielbericht/2254907

Real Madrid are easy to beat in competitive games.

37 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Celtic have won the last 18 domestic games in a row following European games

Now that's something I wasn't expecting. Very impressive performance then, as teams down south generally struggle after midweek European games. 

23 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Cheers. Now I think about it I was still at primary school at the time. Most of the class were supporting Celtic prior to the second leg, quite unusual for darkest Ayrshire!

I wasn't even born mate. I wouldn't have been supporting you anyway though :D

35 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Does that 18 include and Champions League group stage matches?

No, the last 18 European games have all been either CL qualifiers or EL group games.

While the opposition wouldn't have been as good in those games there will be less journey times to Germany, Spain and England in the CL than some of the CL qualifiers and EL games and all CL games will be a Tues/Wed so potentially longer recovery time this season ahead of weekend games.

They should really just reduce the "Champions" League to the top four clubs of Italy, Germany, Spain and England and leave it at that.

And then reintroduce the European Cup, UEFA Cup and Cup Winners Vase etc for the rest of us.

Edited by adamntg

9 hours ago, adamntg said:

They should really just reduce the "Champions" League to the top four clubs of Italy, Germany, Spain and England and leave it at that.

And then reintroduce the European Cup, UEFA Cup and Cup Winners Vase etc for the rest of us.

Aye. Kind of a bloody joke watching a team like Leicester in pot one and Celtic in pot 4. 

17 hours ago, Ormond said:

Aye. Kind of a bloody joke watching a team like Leicester in pot one and Celtic in pot 4. 

To be honest I don't mind that as much as teams like Arsenal and Man City actually being in the Champions League when they're not bloody champions. 

21 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

To be honest I don't mind that as much as teams like Arsenal and Man City actually being in the Champions League when they're not bloody champions. 

Agreed. Kind-of takes the pish out of the Champions League name itself!