We need a solid base to play football. 5 at the back - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

We need a solid base to play football. 5 at the back

bonny78

Scotland need to be ready for anything at the back so I think we should play a 5-3-2 or 3-5-2. (in the latter the 2 wide players can drop back it’s just a on paper numbers thing, i.e. gimmick and same as 5-3-2)

The structure should be set out to be solid and take a no nonsense approach when it comes to defending.  Don’t be afraid to do everything short of a foul, and in some case, a foul to stop an attack (but not in the box.)      We need to get in the way of both our opponents runs and the ball itself and not just do blind tiring pressing!

Once we have the defence sorted we are able to take liberties and attack.  Even if these “attacks” mean putting crosses into the box and hoping some bugger can run on to it, that’s fine if our defence is strong. 

Another thing is we should be picking our goal keeper who is good at coming for crosses and good at clearing danger in this regard.   All the keepers are probably good shot stoppers but this extra duty of commanding the box is often overlooked.  (People just look at the best saves and go “ah he’s good ain’t he?”   Few people remember the bread and butter catches and the throws outs to begin counter attacks)

The only 2 games I’d be willing to change it are our 2 home games to Malta and Lithuania as these are a different kettle of fish and we should steam roll our opponents.

I don’t want to say too much more in case it goes over people’s heads on here.  Lets just enjoy the new campaign next month!!

Edited by bonny78

So what have we got: Martin, Hanley, Greer, Mulgrew, Berra.

Aside from that.. Liam Cooper at Leeds. Then we end up looking for people like Broadfoot, McManus or Reynolds.

It's not that 532 is a bad idea, it's just that a few injuries and need to completely change the way we play.

Doesnt have to be 3 massive centre backs. I think this formation may help us like it did Wales. Could play Tierney on left Hanley centre and Martin right side  with Robertson lwb and either Hutton or Paterson at rwb. Would allow Fletcher and Grifiths up top and choose 3 for cm. Say D. Fletcher, Bannan and Snodgrass. 

2 hours ago, bonny78 said:

at 34 he'd still have what it takes to play in a Scotland shirt.

Certainly add experience and is a mere youngster compared to Gordon Greer, so he's definitley one for the future.  Joking apart I always thought Andy Webster was a decent enough centre half just his career was very hampered by injury.