Anthems - Page 3 - England v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Anthems

Ormond

Don't get folk on here talking the moral high ground regards booing a national anthem.it's a football match and we are playing England.they will replicate with ours so what's the problem?love a bit of needle at a derby game.it's part of football.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this really about words in it or wars or the choice of song?

I boo because they are our fkn rivals, nothing else.

Got to laugh at the guys preaching about respect and what we should be allowed to do. Bet you they're the same guys bawling 'English bass' at the first bad tackle. Sooner we are handed a dummy at the entrance the better, keep all the offensive shouts away from the place.

4 hours ago, hauniscots said:

Is this really about words in it or wars or the choice of song?

I boo because they are our fkn rivals, nothing else.

Got to laugh at the guys preaching about respect and what we should be allowed to do. Bet you they're the same guys bawling 'English bass' at the first bad tackle. Sooner we are handed a dummy at the entrance the better, keep all the offensive shouts away from the place.

:ok:

I'm gonna show Rememberance day and the people involved in it ,the respect they  rightly deserve while cutting about London. But once i'm in the ground shouting for my team against them in a World Cup Qualifier.. the gloves are off. BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

On 9/11/2016 at 0:07 AM, bonzo said:

I will never boo any national anthem, including oor near neighbours. Don't respect it but won't boo it. 

This.....................I was brought up never to boo anyone's national anthem even if I don't like it (like GSTQ). I will stand in silence.

Reminds me, I went to a Liechtenstein v Latvia game once, way before we played in Vaduz.

Spoke to a guy and his son for a wee while just before the anthems. I stood for both anthems of course, feeling a bit uncomfortable for the second one.

Once it was finished the guy shook my hand and thanked me saying he realized how hard that must have been for me :lol: !

As far as GSTQ is concerned, it's up to the individual to react how they want.

I will boo the words and the sentiment as always with this particular anthem, but don't really care what others do!

God Save the Queen?

Introduction

The discussion around how to react to ‘God Save the Queen’ at Wembley touches all Scotland fans who will be there. 

Options are

Sing GSTQ along with our English friends

Stand quietly and respectfully

Remain seated an silent

Boo

Treat their anthem the way they treat ours

Stay out until GSTQ has been performed

This rant is not about whether GSTQ is any longer a suitable anthem for the United Kingdom, never mind Scotland.  References to ‘God’ whom many don’t believe in and being ‘reigned over’ by a monarch seem archaic, but that is for another day.  In the same vein, I think Flower of Scotland is a brilliant song to sing at football, especially against England, but I find it embarrassing on other occasions.  That argument too is for another day.

Sing GSTQ

In making an options list it is normal to include all choices, even some that are not being considered seriously.  I have not sung GSTQ for many years and would not break that taboo at Wembley of all places.

Stand quietly and respectfully

A number of Scotland fans have commented that if England used ‘Land of Hope and Glory’ or ‘Jerusalem’ as their anthem, there wouldn’t be a problem.  These anthems would be respected like the anthem of any other nation.  Indeed there was no booing of ‘Jerusalem’ at Hampden during the Commonwealth Games.  For many Scotland fans the problem lies with GSTQ.

I agree.  GSTQ is the National Anthem of the United Kingdom, not the National Anthem of England.

The message sent by England using GSTQ is that England and Britain are one and the same.  It is this arrogance which so many of us find objectionable and which makes the normal respect given to the opposition’s anthem very difficult to apply in this case.

GSTQ is not the National Anthem of England and teams representing England shouldn’t use it.

For this reason I will not stand quietly and respectfully while GSTQ is played.

Having said that, I must admit to some hypocrisy on my part.  I want an independent Scotland.  If or when this happens, and Scotland is no longer part of the United Kingdom, GSTQ will not be our anthem.  So I don’t want GSTQ to be my anthem but I don’t want England to use it as theirs.  Although once Scotland is independent, and England are just the same to us as any other country, GSTQ should be given the same respect as any other anthem.

An aside.  Although I have republican views and can’t see the point of the Royal Family, I do admire the current Queen.  She has performed the role she was born in to with great dignity.   Any disrespect shown towards the anthem should not be implied to be criticism of the person of the Queen.

Remain seated and silent.

This is my second choice option.  It shows some mild objection and disrespect without giving offense.  The problem with this approach is that the English singing GSTQ is offensive to me.  Should I just sit back and be offended without retaliating in some way … such as booing?  I can accept that the majority of England fans do not mean to give offense when they sing GSTQ and probably don’t see what our problem is.  Perhaps being seated and silent is the mature option.  ‘Seated and silent’ is perhaps the cerebral intellectual option – it just won’t wash at Wembley.  Wembley is all about huge emotion and acute national pride.  Common sense and quiet reflection will not apply.  This is why I am thinking about these issues two months before the event, before the emotion and loss of reason kicks in.

There will be some England fans, such as Jeremy Corbin, who also have problems with GSTQ, but that is a diversion from our issues.

Boo

I certainly wouldn’t ask anyone else not to ‘boo’, and I fully understand why many Scots will want to protest in this way.  I think their protest is legitimate.  How do I show respect to our hosts who are accidentally offending me by singing GSTQ?  I don’t know – It could be fun for Scotland fans to sing ‘Land of Hope and Glory’ while the English sing GSTQ.  I will probably not boo through GSTQ – but I could change my mind depending on the next option.

Treat their anthem the way they treat ours

As the away team, our anthem comes first.  We could wait to hear how the English treat Flower of Scotland as a guide to how we should treat GSTQ.

The problem with this approach is that while the English may have no particular objection to Flower of Scotland, we still have a grievance over GSTQ.  If the English boo Flower of Scotland it is likely to be an ‘advance response’ to how the Scots will react to GSTQ.  The English booing first will let the Scotland fans off the hook to boo back.

By the way

The GSTQ issue is not just about Wembley on 11 November.  Wembley (and Hampden next June) are  unique situations.  GSTQ at other times raises different issues – including the complications of a game against Northern Ireland, or being in London on Remembrance Day.

Conclusion

I intend to exercise a fifth option at Wembley – to duck the issue.  I will be in the stadium and sing my heart out to ‘Flower of Scotland’.  I will then leave the stand before GSTQ is played and so avoid having to choose any of the other four options.  Obviously 10,000 Scotland fans cannot all choose this option at the same time.  If my first choice is not possible, my second choice is to sit quietly until GSTQ is ended ... unless emotion takes over, in which case I will boo GSTQ with everybody else.

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

FFS, min. Do you do a risk assessment before leaving the hoose in the morning? I'm surprised you ever get to work.

My Wife does a 5 minute risk assessment in the mornings when she studies my boaby. Determining if my sleepy semi is hard enough not to injure me when the dog knocks her off balance.

On 15/09/2016 at 11:34 AM, Uncle Albert said:

This.....................I was brought up never to boo anyone's national anthem even if I don't like it (like GSTQ). I will stand in silence.

How does that work, were you sat down as a nipper and told that you never, lie, cheat, steal or boo someone's anthem?

Edited by Spark

On 10 September 2016 at 7:47 AM, Willie Miller's tache said:

Not sure that was implied at all. They might boo as well, although not at the same time as us obviously. Who knows. Each to their own - I just think booing is pointless and simply acknowledges that GSTQ  gets under our skin or, worse still, might even fire up the England players. 

And their inevitable booing of our anthem?

J

20 minutes ago, Donaldo87 said:

It'll go like it did last time for me no doubt.

I'll turn up with grand plans of sitting down / turning my back on it but before this happens they'll FOS and then i'll boo the hell out of GSTQ :lol:

Exactly what happened with me the last time too. 

On 9/21/2016 at 7:32 AM, Spark said:

How does that work, were you sat down as a nipper and told that you never, lie, cheat, steal or boo someone's anthem?

Haha, not quite. My Mum is Australian and my old Boy is Scottish (I have always though it must have been a hell of a culture shock for my old dear leaving Melbourne to come and live in Baillieston in Glasgow but hey ho!!), he told me to never Boo anyone's anthem (and he did put the proviso) EVEN that one from down South.

I am no lover of GSTQ (and all the anti Scottish nonsense about Marshall wade crushing rebellious Scots)and I respect anyone's right to Boo, Hiss or whatever but I will stand in a drunken silence when The English sing it. I will however give Flower of Scotland laldy as I aways do.

• 2 weeks later...

I shall do as i always do.

Turn my back when its played. As my old grandfather used to remind me. 'i never fought for King and country, i fought for my family back home' so for me turning my back is showing no disrespect to remembrance day but is showing disrespect to the blue blood's who are wrapped in posh cotton wool.