Celtic Fans & Flags - Page 6 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Celtic Fans & Flags

48 minutes ago, deecie said:

Apologies, I misunderstood "setting up and sustaining the camps first ever football club and to name it Aida Celtic".

Whatever that means.

Your logic is akin to saying the Roger Federer Foundation, who do work in parts of Africa is all about "growing the Federer brand". 

Its not. And either is setting up a football team in Palestine about promoting Celtic, just because they'll have Celtic in their name. Feck me. 

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Your logic is akin to saying the Roger Federer Foundation, who do work in parts of Africa is all about "growing the Federer brand". 

Its not. And either is setting up a football team in Palestine about promoting Celtic, just because they'll have Celtic in their name. Feck me. 

As i say Parochial, even the most horrific of human situations can only be understood via their provincial lens. None of Deccie's posts would pass a Turing Test anyway.

You're basically debating with an antiquated AI (originally made to control airport lounges) programmed to promote the brand of "the famous" (don't believe me check the posts) complaining erroneously about folk also trying to promote a "brand".

to be fair i think someone has hacked Deccie and put some Jimmy Calderwood pic algorithm in there as well.

I see the United Nations Relief and Work Agency (UNRWA) were up to the same brand promotion earlier in the year when they built the same charity a football pitch. Aida is a refugee camp by the way. They even went there and took pictures with the kids!!

" The Director of UNRWA Operations in the West Bank, Felipe Sanchez, highlighted the importance of the new child-friendly spaces, saying: “The refugee children of Aida camp are particularly exposed to frequent confrontations, resulting violence and tear gas in the camp. The playground and the football pitch provide a much-needed opportunity for these kids to play, have fun and for a moment forget about the daily challenges they face living under military occupation."

The inauguration comes after several months of increased violence in and around Aida camp, with almost daily confrontations between Israeli security forces and Palestinians. From 1 October 2015 to 11 February 2016, UNRWA has recorded 93 incursions by Israeli forces into Aida camp, and more than 512 Palestine refugees, including 61 minors, have been injured.

http://www.unrwa.org/newsroom/press-releases/unrwa-and-lajee-center-inaugurate-first-child-friendly-spaces-aida-refugee

EDIT: Here's the UN and Celtic with their branding, Celtic did much better product placement.

13901821_1471809669.4026_updates.jpg

Edited by phart

41 minutes ago, phart said:

I see the United Nations Relief and Work Agency (UNRWA) were up to the same brand promotion earlier in the year when they built the same charity a football pitch. Aida is a refugee camp by the way. They even went there and took pictures with the kids!!

" The Director of UNRWA Operations in the West Bank, Felipe Sanchez, highlighted the importance of the new child-friendly spaces, saying: “The refugee children of Aida camp are particularly exposed to frequent confrontations, resulting violence and tear gas in the camp. The playground and the football pitch provide a much-needed opportunity for these kids to play, have fun and for a moment forget about the daily challenges they face living under military occupation."

The inauguration comes after several months of increased violence in and around Aida camp, with almost daily confrontations between Israeli security forces and Palestinians. From 1 October 2015 to 11 February 2016, UNRWA has recorded 93 incursions by Israeli forces into Aida camp, and more than 512 Palestine refugees, including 61 minors, have been injured.

http://www.unrwa.org/newsroom/press-releases/unrwa-and-lajee-center-inaugurate-first-child-friendly-spaces-aida-refugee

EDIT: Here's the UN and Celtic with their branding, Celtic did much better product placement.

13901821_1471809669.4026_updates.jpg

I am sickened! Who do the UN think they are? All they're trying to do is promote the UN! 

Back on topic....The Palestine Flag was of course recently paraded with full honour at the Olympics...it is therefore frankly outrageous that UEFA can charge any club's fans with displaying this flag. I applaud wholeheartedly the Celtic fans for their show of support for the plight of the Palestinian people. They have suffered for decades now at the hands of the Israeli state. Illegal occupation of their lands increases year by year. 

We rightly went to war when Kuwait was illegally occupied by Saddam Hussein yet the USA & others continue to fund and arm the Israeli state who occupy Palestinian land illegally as well as land of their neighbouring countries.

I hope Scotland will one day play an international fixture against Palestine and even that one day such a fixture can be between two sovereign nations.

Oh and i don't know who said boycotting Israeli goods was illegal...a bizarre statement...if i choose to boycott Israeli goods (and i have indeed done so for over 30 years) that is my choice and the choice of anyone else who supports such a boycott.

Similar boycott worked eventually in helping end Apartheid in South Africa. The situations are not dissimilar....

the law changed this year to ban any publicly funded place.

"Israel boycott ban: Shunning Israeli goods to become criminal offence for public bodies and student unions"

" The Government says it is banning public boycotts of Israeli goods because the practice undermines “community cohesion” and Britain’s “international security”. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/israel-boycott-local-councils-public-bodies-and-student-unions-to-be-banned-from-shunning-israeli-a6874006.html

Edited by phart

Well i never....

My student union certainly had a boycott policy....i guess with that law change policy would have to be removed but not sure how law could intervene if a group simply doesn't do any shopping for israeli goods....

Incidentally was watching a programme last night from which i learned about a boycott of sugar in the early 1800s as a protest of use of slaves in its production.  The boycott cut sugar sales by a third in Britain and was a big contributor to the abolition of slavery by the UK....boycotts DO work....

Would our current government made THAT boycott illegal too???

45 minutes ago, buckielugger said:

Incidentally was watching a programme last night from which i learned about a boycott of sugar in the early 1800s as a protest of use of slaves in its production.  The boycott cut sugar sales by a third in Britain and was a big contributor to the abolition of slavery by the UK....boycotts DO work....

Would our current government made THAT boycott illegal too???

Probably. They ignore the buggery of children so...

Do we all agree that UEFA are hypocritical, corrupt, dishonest and inept ?

Yes we do.

Is nobody though looking at the bigger picture to see why a ban on member clubs making political statements is in place ?

It's to stop extremists using football as a vehicle for poisoned views. As pointed out earlier, one man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist, and if you allow fans of one club to make a political statement, where do you stop ?

I'll guarantee you that if certain other clubs were making certain 'political' statements, those on this thread being so vociferous about supporting the right of Celtic fans to do this would be the first to be offended and would be the loudest shouting it down.

It's not a feckin personal vendetta against Celtic or their fans. It's a rule that's in place for a reason.

3 hours ago, Rossy said:

Do we all agree that UEFA are hypocritical, corrupt, dishonest and inept ?

Yes we do.

Is nobody though looking at the bigger picture to see why a ban on member clubs making political statements is in place ?

It's to stop extremists using football as a vehicle for poisoned views. As pointed out earlier, one man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist, and if you allow fans of one club to make a political statement, where do you stop ?

I'll guarantee you that if certain other clubs were making certain 'political' statements, those on this thread being so vociferous about supporting the right of Celtic fans to do this would be the first to be offended and would be the loudest shouting it down.

It's not a feckin personal vendetta against Celtic or their fans. It's a rule that's in place for a reason.

I'll make this simple, flying a flag of a country is not political. No matter how many times you, UEFA or indeed Israel claim it to be. 

Flying the flag of Palestine is not political, any more than flying the flag of Scotland is. 

Got to love you repeating this tedious "rules are rules" pish though.

5 hours ago, Parklife said:

I'll make this simple, flying a flag of a country is not political. No matter how many times you, UEFA or indeed Israel claim it to be. 

Flying the flag of Palestine is not political, any more than flying the flag of Scotland is. 

Avoiding getting involved in this whole stupid and predictable debate but...

There's almost nothing more political than flying flag.

7 hours ago, Parklife said:

I think you've proved my point about interpretation.

I don't really care all that much....other than to say that I actually agree with both the support the GB give Palestine, and the fact that UEFA have rules in place to forbid political statements in football.... so I'll stay out of this.

It's fairly obvious that you're a bit worked up and that you believe your opinion is the only one that counts.

What about flying the German flag of the 1940s ?

What about flying the flag of the Confederate States of America ?

What about flying the Union Jack in Larkhall ?

1 hour ago, Rossy said:

I think you've proved my point about interpretation.

I don't really care all that much....other than to say that I actually agree with both the support the GB give Palestine, and the fact that UEFA have rules in place to forbid political statements in football.... so I'll stay out of this.

It's fairly obvious that you're a bit worked up and that you believe your opinion is the only one that counts.

I'm not worked up. I'm also entitled to voice my opinion, just as you are. :ok: 

1 minute ago, Ally Bongo said:

Or flying a Scotland flag, anytime and anywhere. 

5 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Also, the first 2 of those aren't even flags of countries. You're trying to equate flying the flag of a nation, to flying flags linked with racists and nazis. 

As bizarre as your numerous "people seeing the flag of Palestine will link it to support of Hamas" comments. 

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

Also, the first 2 of those aren't even flags of countries. You're trying to equate flying the flag of a nation, to flying flags linked with racists and nazis. 

As bizarre as your numerous "people seeing the flag of Palestine will link it to support of Hamas" comments. 

Did you miss the bit about the Hamas leader congratulating Celtic ?

Clearly he did

2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Irrelevant though, isn't it? 

Only in your mind

54 minutes ago, Fermer said:

Waving the flag of your own country could be deemed patriotic.  Waving the flag of another country is political.

2 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Only in your mind

:lol: 

Hamas praising an action has no relevance to whether the action is right or wrong. Your logic is severely flawed. 

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Hamas praising an action has no relevance to whether the action is right or wrong. Your logic is severely flawed. 

A terrorist organisation praising an action has no relevance ?

3 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

A terrorist organisation praising an action has no relevance ?

Nope. I'm sure they'd also praise the imposition of the numerous UN sanctions that Israel ignores with impunity. Would that then make the UN sanctions incorrect? No, of course it wouldn't. 

Just because a perceived "bad guy" agrees with an action, that in itself doesn't make the action wrong. You're using ridiculously flawed reasoning. :lol: 

48 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Just because a perceived "bad guy" agrees with an action, that in itself doesn't make the action wrong. You're using ridiculously flawed reasoning. :lol: 

Except in the tribal world of football, particularly 2 teams.

The latest bizarre one being Lynsey Sharp v Castor Semenya.