Celtic Fans & Flags - Page 8 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Celtic Fans & Flags

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 29/09/2016 at 9:55 PM, deecie said:

The Famous Aberdeen bet SV Hamburg to lift the most prestigious trophy in European Football.

We don't like to go on about it.

season-19831984-aberdeen-the-aberdeen-sq 

Aberdeen should bring back that kit....it's a belter!

21 minutes ago, slasher said:

Aberdeen should bring back that kit....it's a belter!

Looking at that pic, I think it's a testament to how good Aberdeen were at the time that even as a St Mirren supporter I could name all but 2 of that squad.

It's probably obvious but struggling with player s on top row, 4th from the left and second from the right.

Edited by Jersey Jim

2 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

Looking at that pic, I think it's a testament to how good Aberdeen were at the time that even as a St Mirren supporter I could name all but 2 of that squad.

It's probably obvious but struggling with player s on top row, 4th from the left and second from the right.

4th from left is Ian Angus minus his trademark 'tache.

4 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

4th from left is Ian Angus minus his trademark 'tache.

Cheers. That's why I never recognised him lol, any of our resident sheepsters care to name the other player next to Stark? 

Edited by Jersey Jim

9 hours ago, min said:

Brian Mitchell is next to Stark.

Yeap, it's Bradford legend Brian Mitchell.

I presume that photo was taken at the beginning of the 1983-84 season, right after we signed Billy Stark. What a player he was....41 goals in just over 100 appearances for the Dons. As a midfielder.

Never got one Scotland cap.

That photo always gives me a tingle. Reminds me of the days as a Dons fan when you thought nobody....yourself or the players in the team....would ever grow old, and nothing would ever change. :(

16 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Yeap, it's Bradford legend Brian Mitchell.

I presume that photo was taken at the beginning of the 1983-84 season, right after we signed Billy Stark. What a player he was....41 goals in just over 100 appearances for the Dons. As a midfielder.

That photo always gives me a tingle. Reminds me of the days as a Dons fan when you thought nobody....yourself or the players in the team....would ever grow old, and nothing would ever change. :(

You used to regularly plunder our best players in those days. Started with Peter Weir, but to be fair we got Ian Scanlon as part of that deal who was a fantastic player for us.

Billy Stark, a true St Mirren legend, joined you after 8 seasons with us.

Frank McDougall, not the most agile but certainly knew how where the net was. Does he still have a pub in the city?

On 4 October 2016 at 3:15 PM, glasgow jock said:

Looking at that Aberdeen photo, Doug Rougvie was a bit of a unit was he not ?

I remember going to an Aberdeen v Rangers match at Pittodrie in 1984.  I think it was Jock Wallace's first game back in his second spell.

Dave McKinnon, who was known for being somewhat enthusiastic in the tackle put a shocking challenge in on Rougvie who didn't bat an eyelid.  McKinnon was rolling around on the ground clutching his leg and Rougvie was just standing there staring down at him.  To add insult to injury, McKinnon got booked as he was being stretchered off. 

40 minutes ago, aaid said:

I remember going to an Aberdeen v Rangers match at Pittodrie in 1984.  I think it was Jock Wallace's first game back in his second spell.

Dave McKinnon, who was known for being somewhat enthusiastic in the tackle put a shocking challenge in on Rougvie who didn't bat an eyelid.  McKinnon was rolling around on the ground clutching his leg and Rougvie was just standing there staring down at him.  To add insult to injury, McKinnon got booked as he was being stretchered off. 

:lol:

2 hours ago, aaid said:

Dave McKinnon :wub:.  The 2-1 promotion game against Cowdenbeath at Rugby Park, in which he actually scored (honest), is one of my best footballing memories.  An absolute emotional tearjerker for me. Can remember it clearly. Got us up and out of the old 2nd division when we had been on our knees. Lovely sunshine, about a 12,000 crowd, and a pitch invasion for promotion. Those were certainly the days. :mellow:

4 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Dave McKinnon :wub:.  The 2-1 promotion game against Cowdenbeath at Rugby Park, in which he actually scored (honest), is one of my best footballing memories.  An absolute emotional tearjerker for me. Can remember it clearly. Got us up and out of the old 2nd division when we had been on our knees. Lovely sunshine, about a 12,000 crowd, and a pitch invasion for promotion. Those were certainly the days. :mellow:

They certainly were my friend, they certainly were. 

11 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Weirdly, I was at that game.

Edited by Rossy

On 04/10/2016 at 3:15 PM, glasgow jock said:

Looking at that Aberdeen photo, Doug Rougvie was a bit of a unit was he not ?

Your right i bumped into him in a bar in London in the mid 80's , can remember seeing him on match of the day when he flattened Arsenals Viv Anderson !!!

On 10/6/2016 at 8:13 AM, Rossy said:

A great player, he had that ability of timing his runs to perfection, just seemed to ghost in on crosses. I was there when he played his first OF game at the start of the centenary season. He scored, back post area if memory serves me right, and was also nailed by Souness in the second half, Souness got a straight red for that challenge. A big player in landing the title that season I am sure.

In terms of no Scotland caps, we were so chock full of good players it wasn't a surprise, even when he was at his peak at Aberdeen. I had a younger Rangers fan eulogising on FB about the skills of Davie Cooper and moaning about his lack of Scotland caps. I pointed out that Cooper was kept out the side by a double European Cup winner in John Robertson and, in addition, Forest's captain, John McGovern, also never received a single Scotland cap. Imagine that nowadays.....the champions of England and Europe's captain not being good enough to get in the Scotland side?! I still look back at our 82 WC squad, look at the players in it, what they achieved both before and after 82 and think about what a missed opportunity that was.

3 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Although aware that I may regret asking......why ?:lol:

My brother is a Cowden fan. We went through in the car with a couple of his mates. 

I believe we were the only people there supporting the Blue Brazil....:lol: