Celtic Fans & Flags - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Celtic Fans & Flags

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, fringo said:

Why are some Celtic fans so interested or involved in this political issue ?

No idea about them specifically, a cross section of society is bothered about this political/humanitarian issue.

1 hour ago, Chief said:

Basically politics are fine in football as long as I agree with them. TAMB gold. 

politics are everywhere, why do you think Israel are in the Uefa competition in the first place.

Edited by phart

16 minutes ago, fringo said:

Why are so many young people not interested in anything. Or you think its the"victim mentality"?

Maybe, coming from an irish-catholic Background in thw west of Scotland makes you a bit more aware for certain things in life.....who knows

18 minutes ago, fringo said:

Because they love to see themselves as victims. Or as martyrs. 

And they're dripping with self-righteousness and their own self-importance. 

I reckon different folk will have different reasons, or have 4 reasons of differing magnitude or 3 or 2.

What we can say for certain though is it isn't one reason for one entity.

All the reasons above will appear at some point.

Viewing multitudes as a single indistinguishable entity is probably one of the main reasons for the bother over there, so let's not get cognitively lazy.,

Edited by phart

17 minutes ago, phart said:

No idea about them specifically, a cross section of society is bothered about this political/humanitarian issue.

I agree, myself included. I was genuinely wondering why the Celtic fans ? I'm not sure if many other fans from other clubs have done this too.

12 minutes ago, Batzek-osemba said:

Why are so many young people not interested in anything. Or you think its the"victim mentality"?

Maybe, coming from an irish-catholic Background in thw west of Scotland makes you a bit more aware for certain things in life.....who knows

I didn't say I think it's "victim mentality", See my answer above.

12 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Because they love to see themselves as victims. Or as martyrs. 

And they're dripping with self-righteousness and their own self-importance. 

I was just curious why Celtic fans as they seem to have done it a few times (as above).

Celtic have a significant left wing activist presence in their support, surely everyone knows this?   The plight of the Palestinian people exercises many on the left who are concerned with human rights.  It's not rocket surgery. 

Edited by adamntg

35 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Celtic have a significant left wing activist presence in their support, surely everyone knows this?   The plight of the Palestinian people exercises many on the left who are concerned with human rights.  It's not rocket surgery. 

If they feel so strongly about it, why don't they do something meaningful about it?

41 minutes ago, adamntg said:

I'm clearly not a rocket sturgeon.:):P

31 minutes ago, deecie said:

If they feel so strongly about it, why don't they do something meaningful about it?

What? You mean like contributing aid, visiting the area to volunteer for aid agencies, attending marches, demos, getting involved in pressure groups? That sort of thing? Cos people within the support have done all of that Deecie.

The most concerning aspect of all of this for me was the implied threat of arrest from Police Scotland pre match to those displaying Palestinian symbols. I'm not sure what the SNP are trying to do with our police force but it is deeply concerning. Everything else, including the reaction from certain quarters is entirely predictable.

Edited by slasher

2 minutes ago, slasher said:

What? You mean like contributing aid, visiting the area to volunteer for aid agencies, attending marches, demos, getting involved in pressure groups? That sort of thing? Cos people within the support have done all of that Deecie.

The most concerning aspect of all of this for me was the implied threat of arrest from Police Scotland pre match to those displaying Palestinian symbols. I'm not sure what the SNP are trying to do with our police force but it is deeply concerning. 

Great. So what exactly did their stunt last night achieve then?

Probably about the same as renaming a Glasgow street when Mandela was in jail. It shows people care, that's all, and given the amount of support that it's received from all over the world a lot of people feel the same. Is it important to the Palestinians themselves? Judging by the amount of stuff on social media, it's appreciated, beyond that I can't say.

Just now, Rossy said:

Jesus Christ.

This is entering news realms of cringing self-indulgence and congratulation. 

:lol:

I'm actually rather impressed that Celtic have managed to become the victim in a centuries old conflict in the Middle East. The SNP getting the blame makes this near enough the perfect TAMB thread.