Weekend Scottish Fitba - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Weekend Scottish Fitba

6 minutes ago, Mitre said:

i thought yer man mcmanus was excellent today. my man of the match.

we probably just shaded it. there is a worrying lack of incision despite a shitload of possession.

Rangers are in the market for an expeienced no-nonsense centre half, must be cheaper than Lescott.  Sounds like he could fit the bill and be the answer to our prayers :D

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What planet was that ref on today?

Thistle player goes down injured beside the halfway line, play goes on for 60 seconds,Aberdeen have the ball attacking near the corner flag,he then decides that the play should be stopped and a drop ball awarded in the middle of the thistle half. 

3 hours ago, dandydunn said:

What planet was that ref on today?

Thistle player goes down injured beside the halfway line, play goes on for 60 seconds,Aberdeen have the ball attacking near the corner flag,he then decides that the play should be stopped and a drop ball awarded in the middle of the thistle half. 

Beaton normally has it in for us. Surprising we got a decision.

Still unsure about if there should have been a free kick for the second. Looked like an accidental stamp on Lindsay's foot as he turned but perhaps he realised the error of his ways and tried it on. 

Guest BlueGaz
8 hours ago, Batzek-osemba said:

Do rangers fans honestly think they can win the league?

No.

Made hard work of it today against a shite team.  Desperately need a goal scorer in the 11, all the build up goes well and then ...... very little comes from it.  Need to do better against these teams because points are going to be hard to get against the stronger sides.

37 minutes ago, OLAS said:

Beaton normally has it in for us. Surprising we got a decision.

Still unsure about if there should have been a free kick for the second. Looked like an accidental stamp on Lindsay's foot as he turned but perhaps he realised the error of his ways and tried it on. 

In a cruel twist of fate - we really missed Jack today!  If I'm brutally honest, we were pretty sh1t and we won courtesy of a very good set piece and a Thistle error (which Shinnie was all over). Thistle were very good. Played good football and despite having a fairly huge team, didn't rely on physicality. Some very useful players and I think a top six team  Archibald's stock continues to rise.

Mcinnes still seemingly experimenting and unsure of first 11. Needs to sort this out soon and start playing a more settled team because in spells today we didn't know who was doing what and we didn't seem to have much of an understanding. O'Connor excellent again. Logan and Shinnie also very good. Considine didn't do anything wrong. McGinn ok In spells (good free kick).  Other than that - pretty poor. Goes without saying McLean was p1sh again. 

We were poor against sitting against the ball. 

Well had their chances though and could have been in front.

Still. When gers tick someone will take a doing. But WON'T WIN THE LEAGUE 

Edited by Debian

4 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Perhaps it's an indication of where Rangers are that they are struggling against "these teams".

I assumed that Motherwell learnt from their tanking at Parkhead and instead reverted to a flat back 10 after going into the lead which stifled us. Not a bad tactic, in truth but my word it was negative. Their counter-attacking was troublesome at times though and your man Johnson looks a good player.

We were dreadful in the first half with not a single player getting pass marks but we were a lot more like our usual selves in the 2nd half. Had Motherwell been a bit more adventurous though, they could have got the 2nd goal which we would have found difficult to recover from.

And the officials weren't very good, which I can say after a victory. The ref ordered a free kick to be retaken at one point because the ball didn't leave the penalty box (obviously mistakenly thinking it was a goal kick), which was particularly infuriating. Made poor corner decisions for both sides too.

Edit: We won't win the league.

Edited by thewolf_1980

10 hours ago, SMcoolJ said:

In a cruel twist of fate - we really missed Jack today!  If I'm brutally honest, we were pretty sh1t and we won courtesy of a very good set piece and a Thistle error (which Shinnie was all over). Thistle were very good. Played good football and despite having a fairly huge team, didn't rely on physicality. Some very useful players and I think a top six team  Archibald's stock continues to rise.

Mcinnes still seemingly experimenting and unsure of first 11. Needs to sort this out soon and start playing a more settled team because in spells today we didn't know who was doing what and we didn't seem to have much of an understanding. O'Connor excellent again. Logan and Shinnie also very good. Considine didn't do anything wrong. McGinn ok In spells (good free kick).  Other than that - pretty poor. Goes without saying McLean was p1sh again. 

'Thistle were very good ' ??

You must be kidding. Aberdeen were by a million miles the better team, especially 2nd half when Thistle couldn't get the ball for about 30 minutes, and even then we were only firing on about 50%.

I'll give Thistle credit for...unlike Hearts... at least being a football team and not resorting to cynical fouling to break up the game.

I doubt if they'll finish top 6 though. 

1 hour ago, macy37 said:

Don't understand why Sevconians are telling us they won't win the league. We all know that so don't need that belief reaffirmed. Only one team winning the title and by at least 10 points.

Em. Because the question was asked? 

7 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

I assumed that Motherwell learnt from their tanking at Parkhead and instead reverted to a flat back 10 after going into the lead which stifled us. Not a bad tactic, in truth but my word it was negative. Their counter-attacking was troublesome at times though and your man Johnson looks a good player.

We were dreadful in the first half with not a single player getting pass marks but we were a lot more like our usual selves in the 2nd half. Had Motherwell been a bit more adventurous though, they could have got the 2nd goal which we would have found difficult to recover from.

And the officials weren't very good, which I can say after a victory. The ref ordered a free kick to be retaken at one point because the ball didn't leave the penalty box (obviously mistakenly thinking it was a goal kick), which was particularly infuriating. Made poor corner decisions for both sides too.

Edit: We won't win the league.

Aye it wasn't great, reminded me a lot of the Hamilton game, although not even sure we played as well. Scott McDonald schooled our two centre backs for long periods I thought. 

At this stage, and playing as we are, I'll take the win and be happy about it, but we have much tougher tests to come. 

51 minutes ago, Rossy said:

'Thistle were very good ' ??

You must be kidding. Aberdeen were by a million miles the better team, especially 2nd half when Thistle couldn't get the ball for about 30 minutes, and even then we were only firing on about 50%.

I'll give Thistle credit for...unlike Hearts... at least being a football team and not resorting to cynical fouling to break up the game.

I doubt if they'll finish top 6 though. 

Nah, can't agree. We were hugely average today. I thought Thistle pressed well and we gave the ball away too cheaply and too often. They controlled spells (albeit short) of the game and looked useful. On another day (without McGinn's free kick and the defensive error), we could have lost that game. I appreciate that can be said about any game - I just didn't think there was enough between the teams for my liking.  

I'd swap McLean for Lawless right now.  That's not saying too much for Lawless though. 

25 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

Em. Because the question was asked? 

Aye it wasn't great, reminded me a lot of the Hamilton game, although not even sure we played as well. Scott McDonald schooled our two centre backs for long periods I thought. 

At this stage, and playing as we are, I'll take the win and be happy about it, but we have much tougher tests to come. 

I didn't think the centre-halves were particularly bad today and indeed were arguably our best players. The counter-attacks stemmed from Rossiter (who I did think was below par) losing possession in the midfield and, given that he plays in an anchor position in front of the back four, it then exposed the defence to the counter attacks. If we are going to play in that formation, Rossiter is perhaps the most important player on the pitch, as the link between defence and attack and vice versa.

58 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Nah, can't agree. We were hugely average today. I thought Thistle pressed well and we gave the ball away too cheaply and too often. They controlled spells (albeit short) of the game and looked useful. On another day (without McGinn's free kick and the defensive error), we could have lost that game. I appreciate that can be said about any game - I just didn't think there was enough between the teams for my liking.  

I'd swap McLean for Lawless right now.  That's not saying too much for Lawless though. 

I'm not trying to pretend we were any good. We weren't. 

We were still the better team though.

1 hour ago, thewolf_1980 said:

I didn't think the centre-halves were particularly bad today and indeed were arguably our best players. The counter-attacks stemmed from Rossiter (who I did think was below par) losing possession in the midfield and, given that he plays in an anchor position in front of the back four, it then exposed the defence to the counter attacks. If we are going to play in that formation, Rossiter is perhaps the most important player on the pitch, as the link between defence and attack and vice versa.

I don't think the midfield 3 of Haliday, Rossiter and Barton works for us, there isn't enough width which is slowing down our attacks

Guest BlueGaz
17 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Perhaps it's an indication of where Rangers are that they are struggling against "these teams".

I agree, hence I gave a straight no as an answer to the previous question.  The football is there though, just the finishing thats not, so getting there. Unlike Motherwell.

Guest BlueGaz
7 hours ago, macy37 said:

Don't understand why Sevconians are telling us they won't win the league. We all know that so don't need that belief reaffirmed. Only one team winning the title and by at least 10 points.

Because one of your own asked the question, bawheid.

3 hours ago, BlueGaz said:

I agree, hence I gave a straight no as an answer to the previous question.  The football is there though, just the finishing thats not, so getting there. Unlike Motherwell.

I think Motherwell will be a better team when the goal machine Louis Moult returns from injury hopefully after the international break.

If we can hold onto Johnson I don't think we'll be too far away from Rangers come the end of the season. Certainly closer to Rangers than they'll get to Celtic.