Weekend Scottish Fitba - Page 7 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Weekend Scottish Fitba

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, AberdeenAngus said:

I think chanting about the deathe of players, managers or fans is offensive. Can probably chuck the peado stuff in there too. Surely racist chants are not okay either?

Seems that many football fans still think that being inside a football ground gives them some form of automatic right to shout and chant about things which if they did it as individuals down their local high street would result in arrest.

Your last paragraph sums it up really. Because they're an anonymous face in the crowd they think singing this shite is acceptable. 

There is no legitimate reason why these folk can't be arrested at the time.

If the police lift them and charge them it'd remove any excuse about not being able to ban them.

I think it'd also be useful to name and shame these folk. That wouldn't hurt the hardcore morons but the 90 minute bigots might think twice if they thought their employers would find out what they were really like. 

1 minute ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Your last paragraph sums it up really. Because they're an anonymous face in the crowd they think singing this shite is acceptable. 

If the police lift them and charge them it'd remove any excuse about not being able to ban them.

I think it'd also be useful to name and shame these folk. That wouldn't hurt the hardcore morons but the 90 minute bigots might think twice if they thought their employers would find out what they were really like. 

Totally agree.

Can't lift 3000 but why not just pick out half a dozen every time it happens? 

Message would soon get through if that happened.

23 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

On last night's showing Rangers will be 4th at best. Extremely average side.

Unfortunately I think you are right. We have some decent players, much better squad than last season but for some reason we aren't playing anywhere near as well.

I don't think it's anything to do with the higher quality opposition either, unless Boydy put so much fear into Keirnan that he started over hitting passes by 60 yards when there was no pressure on him.

Our players seem slow and disinterested, it's like they are 5-0 up and shattered, just slow passes back the way, no drive, no desire, no urgency. We seem to be missing something in midfield, and I think we may have to drop Barton or Rossiter and get someone with more direct in the team.

Saying that I felt we deserved to win the game, just didn't take our chances, which seems to be a theme over the last 12 months. All credit to Killie, they look a fit side, were always in our faces. Even going down to 10 men you couldn't really tell. From what I've heard on the radio so far this season, they definitely seemed a different team. It was good to hear there were so many players from their youth academy in the team, they certainly seem to be doing something right.

I thought the ref was pathetically bad, leaving the game it felt like he got 80% of the decisions wrong, but not sure how much of that was misplaced frustration from an uninspiring performance.

Edited by theweestevie

11 minutes ago, AberdeenAngus said:

Totally agree.

Can't lift 3000 but why not just pick out half a dozen every time it happens? 

Message would soon get through if that happened.

Yep. Makes you wonder why the Police don't do this. They're happy to film stuff but nothing ever comes of that. Surely a wee video and the conviction is a racing certainty if you then lift them, there and then?

Not impressed with our tempo at all last night and we cant keep giving teams a goal start and expect to pull it back. Defence is a total bomb scare. Break is coming at the right time as injuries are mounting however in September we have Celtic and Aberdeen away so that will give an indication just how far we are off the pace. Not all doom and gloom though. I think 8/12 is a reasonable return. Expectations are low for me. Top three would be a good finish. The tackle on Barton was horrendous. If he had made that challenge he would be hounded out of Scottish Football.

Guest BlueGaz
50 minutes ago, AberdeenAngus said:

Let's take this out of a Scottish context.

Does anyone think that Liverpool fans chanting about the Munich Air Disaster and Man Utd fans doing the same about the Hillsborough Disaster is not offensive?

You keep harping on about what is offensive and what is not offensive.  There is no argument about the songs in question being offensive and not welcome, is there?

1 hour ago, BlueGaz said:

But I honestly find it hard to understand why a song at a football match can get to people so much.

An hour ago you said this now you are agreeing that there are offensive songs.

That was why I posted what I did. Some chants will be offensive to a few, some to many and some to the majority.

I think everyone knows however what is right and what is wrong and whether folk want to argue the semantics over what they personally find offensive or not is neither here nor there. 

Guest BlueGaz
3 minutes ago, AberdeenAngus said:

An hour ago you said this now you are agreeing that there are offensive songs.

That was why I posted what I did. Some chants will be offensive to a few, some to many and some to the majority.

I think everyone knows however what is right and what is wrong and whether folk want to argue the semantics over what they personally find offensive or not is neither here nor there. 

My point was that I don't understand those who let it get to them.  If the songs in question were not offensive, I would condone them which I don't.  I appreciate in this particular instance not everyone would be able to do what I do and not take them to heart.  If I did, my life would be far less enjoyable than what it is.  I disagree with you that any football song is ever taken to heart by the majority though, never seen that in my puff.  Would agree on a few though.

Any defence that is playing Clint Hill regularly will be lucky to finish in the top half.

He got outpaced for the goal by Kris Boyd who is not exactly Usain Bolt ffs.

The boy looks done. Should be nowhere near the side. A bizarre signing.

1 hour ago, BlueGaz said:

Worded it wrong with the "as much issues as those that choose to sing" comment, because thats not the case.  Will take that back.  But I honestly find it hard to understand why a song at a football match can get to people so much.  

Would it be different if the religion was replaced with race and they were singing about black bastards instead of fenian bastards?

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I can see why police would be reluctant to wade in and start lifting people there and then.  That's likely to escalate quite quickly.

However, with all cameras around these days, I don't think it would be that difficult to identify people, get the evidence and charge people afterwards.  You could also get a few repeat offenders which would result in heavier sentencing and remove any excuse that it was a one-off mistake.  

Once people start doing time, it will stop.

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

On last night's showing Rangers will be 4th at best. Extremely average side. 

Rangers fans with their usual filth. They really have a high % of sub human scum in their support. 

Rather have an average team of footballers than a team of hatchet men right enough.

Edited by GRBear

41 minutes ago, aaid said:

I can see why police would be reluctant to wade in and start lifting people there and then.  That's likely to escalate quite quickly.

However, with all cameras around these days, I don't think it would be that difficult to identify people, get the evidence and charge people afterwards.  You could also get a few repeat offenders which would result in heavier sentencing and remove any excuse that it was a one-off mistake.  

Once people start doing time, it will stop.

I don't agree that it will escalate as you're now suggesting that all the fans singing the songs are up for a fight. 

If it does then you hammer the club with a 3 point deduction and closed stadium for a game. Double that for every recurrence.

Problem is the clubs won't change their rules to allow this therefore we're never going to be rid of the scummy element. 

All fans can do is lobby their club to take action. Could Kilmarnock ban Rangers travelling fans completely due to the singing?  Probably too much of a financial hit for Killie and not sure the League rules even allow for this.

44 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I don't agree that it will escalate as you're now suggesting that all the fans singing the songs are up for a fight. 

If it does then you hammer the club with a 3 point deduction and closed stadium for a game. Double that for every recurrence.

Problem is the clubs won't change their rules to allow this therefore we're never going to be rid of the scummy element. 

All fans can do is lobby their club to take action. Could Kilmarnock ban Rangers travelling fans completely due to the singing?  Probably too much of a financial hit for Killie and not sure the League rules even allow for this.

The general principle for *all* public order policing is not to do anything that will excaserbate the situation and to gather evidence for future prosecution.   That seems to work pretty well, you only need to look at the continent to see examples of how heavy handed policing ends up. 

I think there was a case in the last couple of seasons where stewards went into try and eject someone from the green brigade section at parkhead and it all kicked off as other fans tried to stop it.

i don't see people - especially if they've been drinking - sticking their hands up and going "it's a fair cop guv but society's to blame" .

Fans need to lobby their clubs to accept strict liability but understanding that might mean that they themselves will suffer as a result of the actions of their own supporters.  Unless that is they only think that it's the antisocial behaviour that other sets of fans indulge in that's unacceptable and what they get up to is just banter or atmosphere.   That's a general point and not a go at anyone in particular.

4 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Agreed they need to make an example of some to have an effect.

The only solution to this eternal problem is the one that Scottish football has been too cowardly to take for over 100 years.....stadium closures and point deductions.

But we just keep on burying our heads in the sand and pretending it doesn't happen. 

It beggars belief, and is so pathetic it's laughable, that in this day and age...in a modern Scotland.... grown men belt out anti-Catholic rhetoric because they have the protection of the crowd. 

11 minutes ago, Rossy said:

The only solution to this eternal problem is the one that Scottish football has been too cowardly to take for over 100 years.....stadium closures and point deductions.

But we just keep on burying our heads in the sand and pretending it doesn't happen. 

It beggars belief, and is so pathetic it's laughable, that in this day and age...in a modern Scotland.... grown men belt out anti-Catholic rhetoric because they have the protection of the crowd. 

To be fair it's not just anti catholic.

You are however 110% correct in your solution.

Guest BlueGaz

It is very easy to sort out - just needs someone to plan it and get on with it.  Us 3 could organise it and start it within the next week if we were given the resources - simples.

Celtic 1 up.

Game started the same way as every Celtic - Dons game starts....Aberdeen could have been a goal up in a minute, then we proceed to sit back and look terrified of Celtic and the ball. 

No Hayes, no Jack, no settled side or tactics. It'll be 3-0 at half time and end up something like 4-1 when Celtic decide to ease off a bit second half. 

I do suspect this will be McInnes's last season with the Dons, tbh. I think he's probably taken us as far as he can. 

22 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Celtic 1 up.

Game started the same way as every Celtic - Dons game starts....Aberdeen could have been a goal up in a minute, then we proceed to sit back and look terrified of Celtic and the ball. 

No Hayes, no Jack, no settled side or tactics. It'll be 3-0 at half time and end up something like 4-1 when Celtic decide to ease off a bit second half. 

I do suspect this will be McInnes's last season with the Dons, tbh. I think he's probably taken us as far as he can. 

I think you're right. Aberdeen have plenty of good players, I'm just not sure that McInnes is a good manager.

1 minute ago, Mox said:

I think you're right. Aberdeen have plenty of good players, I'm just not sure that McInnes is a good manager.

He's a good enough manager, but every football manager reaches a point with every club where they run out of ideas. 

I think McInnes is reaching that point with Aberdeen. I doubt if we'll finish top 3 this season, so probably only a Scottish win will save him.

2-1 Celtic now.