West Hams new home - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

West Hams new home

44 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

looks horrific in terms of fan proximity to field of play.Upton Park was a cracking ground for atmosphere. Never mind I suppose the Hammers fans can find comfort in enjoying their fish and chips at £8.50 a shot?

Got a feeling this could come back to haunt west ham over time (leaving Upton park), the atmosphere was incredible

1 hour ago, EddardStark said:

looks horrific in terms of fan proximity to field of play.Upton Park was a cracking ground for atmosphere. Never mind I suppose the Hammers fans can find comfort in enjoying their fish and chips at £8.50 a shot?

The dugouts look about 30 yards away from the pitch. 

Reminded me of hampden. 

The original post was about 

faciluties/services on offer to fans so it doesn't really matter where the ground is.

A couple of points:

The average fan is probably closer to the grass than Hampden.

The view and the noise are better than Hampden.

The catering isn't really a rip off.it costs £7.50 for fish and chips in my local chilly, £1 extra, big deal. Catering also offers 8 outlets for food and three for beer at the foot of the stairwell to where I was sitting, no real queues. 

Beer is £4 as aposed to £3.80 in my local.

As a doubter, I am convinced it was a good move.

9 minutes ago, Rossy said:

They got a brand new stadium from the UK taxpayer for virtually nothing.

I doubt if they're complaining.

£2m a year if you don't mind. That's a match day's gross income. Just from ticket sales.

Edited by andymac

25 minutes ago, andymac said:

faciluties/services on offer to fans so it doesn't really matter where the ground is.

A couple of points:

The catering isn't really a rip off.it costs £7.50 for fish and chips in my local chilly, £1 extra, big deal. Catering also offers 8 outlets for food and three for beer at the foot of the stairwell to where I was sitting, no real queues. 

Wasn't comparing it to Hampden. It was more about comparison between Upton Park and the London Stadium. Appreciate commercial reality comes into play.

2 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Wasn't comparing it to Hampden. It was more about comparison between Upton Park and the London Stadium. Appreciate commercial reality comes into play.

The beer and food are better. The transport is better. You are treated like a human as it is an event venue that we just happen to rent.

The atmosphere is better than UP for the last few years but need to wait to see how that settles down. 

Not sure how you would get 80,000 closer to the pitch.

9 hours ago, andymac said:

The beer and food are better. The transport is better. You are treated like a human as it is an event venue that we just happen to rent.

The atmosphere is better than UP for the last few years but need to wait to see how that settles down. 

Not sure how you would get 80,000 closer to the pitch.

By not having a running track round the pitch. 

17 minutes ago, andymac said:

Probably why the track is covered by seats when football is on.

I did wonder how the fans were so close to the pitch at the corners and even behind the goal looked a lot closer than Hampden to the pitch.

14 hours ago, andymac said:

A couple of points:

At least you had a seat. Seriously, how can you not know a full block of seats are missing?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3752044/West-Ham-launch-investigation-fans-complained-no-seats-sit-in.html

16 hours ago, andymac said:

A couple of points:

Cool story. 

10 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

lab you are Cool story. 

Thanks for your useful contribution.

6 hours ago, Brummie Hibs said:

Going there on Thursday night - I will rate its shitability. 

Note: Free tickets (I wouldn't pay to go!)

Glad you are going with an open mind.