Squad Announcment - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad Announcment

vanderark14

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go with this: (its Malta, we don't need 2 holding central midfielders, get it forward instead of sideways)

Goalkeepers
David Marshall (Cardiff City)

Defenders

Andrew Robertson (Hull City)
Grant Hanley (Newcastle United)   
Russell Martin (Norwich City)

Ikechi Anya (Watford)

Midfielders
Darren Fletcher (West Bromwich Albion)

James Forrest (Celtic)   
Matt Ritchie (Newcastle United)
Robert Snodgrass (Hull City)

Forwards 
Leigh Griffiths (Celtic)
Steven Naismith (Norwich City)

26 minutes ago, scot scotland scottish said:

To think - at the Derby v Villa match at the weekend, of the 18 players named by both sides, the following players were eligible for us

Craig Forsyth, Craig Bryson, Johnny Russell, Chris Martin, Ross McCormack and Alan Hutton.

Out of that lot I genuinely think he picked the two worst

if a Scottish championship player gets picked before any English championship player the full thing is a joke ! john mcginn would not be allowed to train with derby county and hes in the Scotland squad ,makes the full thing an absolute farce    

7 minutes ago, bossman4 said:

Totally agree that he's the worst there but he won't play of that I am certain. He may only play if Martin or Hanley is injured.

The point I made earlier to someone is that we're ok for left sided centre half, right sided not so much. In fact our entire right side of defence including right back is just a complete mess.  

Can we not get one of our many decent left backs to start using their right foot and play them at right back??

1 minute ago, kmcca5 said:

Waste of time playing half that team. Start again, we won't qualify so start some young talent and drop the players that have so far failed to get us anywhere. 

Careful now ! That's dangerous radical talk !

I sadly fear that Strachan selects some players based on the following criteria- "he's never let us down in the past", "he always turns up for the friendly games", "I still think he's got another campaign left in him".

45 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

What exactly has Barrie McKay done to deserve a call up?

Greer being in this squad is laughable,

The persistence with Hutton is laughable

McCormack missing again is a joke

Chris martin should be nowhere near a Scotland jersey

Maybe Barrie McKay impressed him during his last call-up? Talented young player, hardly a shock anyway.

I'm no fan of Greer and Hutton either but the alternatives are either hugely inexperienced going into a qualifying game, or even more questionable in terms of physical or technical ability.

McCormick is still finding his feet at Villa and not had the greatest start, can see why he picked the other 4 strikers ahead of him (maybe apart from Chris Martin)

What's with so many midfielders and lack of forwards? We've been playing 4-5-1 for years. It doesn't work! 

Hopefully there are reasons for the obvious ommissions already highlighted that will be rectified before the Lithania / Slovakia double header. 

2 minutes ago, McDange said:

What's with so many midfielders and lack of forwards? We've been playing 4-5-1 for years. It doesn't work! 

Hopefully there are reasons for the obvious ommissions already highlighted that will be rectified before the Lithania / Slovakia double header. 

I disagree with the formation bit, Strachan virtually plays 4-4-2 on the ball (one as a sort of shadow striker).

along with Griffiths, Fletcher, Naismith and Martin, Snodgrass often played as a second striker before his injury.

you could argue its 5 striking options in the squad and Strachan will probably start 2 of them.

51 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Was there not something a while ago about McCormack only wanting to be called up if he was going to be a starter? I seem to remember some chat around about the Czech Rep friendly when he ended up getting called up due to pull outs and started.

He was asked about McCormack in the press conference and outside of some platitudes about McCormack being unlucky to miss out and wanting him to settle in at his new club his main point was that he wanted to have variety in the squad as far as forwards were concerned so that gives him options for different tactics.  

On that basis it looks to me as if he essentially sees Griffiths and McCormack as competing for the same spot but that he prefers Griffiths.  

McCormack seemed to have come back into favour.  His omission is a strange one, I have very little if any confidence in Fletcher or Martin conjuring a goal out of nowhere against a packed defence but that is exactly what McCormack is capable of doing and that is exactly what we'll be up against..  Between them Martin and Fletcher have played 34 games and scored a grand total of 9 goals of which 7 were against Gibralter. 

A complete joke of a squad. So much for looking to the future and building a progressive group.

Ive said for months that seen as I went ahead and booked up until Wembley that that will be my last hoorah from going to every single game. The home games are out the window as far as I'm concerned, I'm not giving the robbing cüntz anymore of my hard earned