Squad Announcment - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad Announcment

vanderark14

4 minutes ago, Rab The Crab said:

So inexplicable that he explained why they didn't make the squad.

Maloney needs games, Rhodes and McCormack are obviously similar to Griffiths in his opinion and he's gone for him and well, in the case of Shinnie it's pretty obvious, he's probably 6th choice left back after Robertson, Tierney, Kingsley, Forsyth and Wallace.

Agree or not, those are the facts.

It's also a fact that under Strachan, Scotland are going nowhere. 

The players he picks, the tactics he uses, are proven failures.

But we'll keep on doing the same thing anyway. 

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Rab The Crab said:

Maloney needs games, Rhodes and McCormack are obviously similar to Griffiths in his opinion and he's gone for him and well, in the case of Shinnie it's pretty obvious, he's probably 6th choice left back after Robertson, Tierney, Kingsley, Forsyth and Wallace.

Shinnie doesn't play left back

10 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Maybe just maybe he is taking the old guard along as cover for the younger players.Our options at center half are so bad I'd play Steven Fletcher there!

Not a bad shout. What about a team of left footers ? Gordon, all those named above, Snodgrass, Bannan, Mulgrew, Griffiths, that about do it ?

3 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Not a bad shout. What about a team of left footers ? Gordon, all those named above, Snodgrass, Bannan, Mulgrew, Griffiths, that about do it ?

Left footers? Careful!!!! You'll get yer baws rapped on here for that! 

44 minutes ago, Rab The Crab said:

Maloney may need games but he made quite a difference when he came on for Hull on Saturday, scored one and set up the other!  I'm not sure how Rhodes and McCormack are obviously similar to Griffiths except that they play up front.  Seem quite different types of striker to me from what I have seen.

1 minute ago, Hertsscot said:

Maloney may need games but he made quite a difference when he came on for Hull on Saturday, scored one and set up the other!  I'm not sure how Rhodes and McCormack are obviously similar to Griffiths except that they play up front.  Seem quite different types of striker to me from what I have seen.

Unlike Griffiths, they're also able to score goals for Scotland.

8 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Unbelievable when you start adding up the transfer fees for McCormack, Rhodes and Fletcher.  Two of them can't get in the squad at all and the other one we're not confident about putting the ball in the back of the net. It is a crazy world we live in!

Chuck in James Forrest getting constantly picked and people wonder why so many have given up their SSC membership and now have little more than a passing interest in Scotland games.

Strachan and McGhee have killed the fanbase in a way that Levein was never able to do.

11 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

I thought Maloney looked decent as well on Saturday, I'm sure he'll be back this campaign.

Id have had McCormack instead of Martin as irrespective of what Martin is supposed to offer, I can't see it personally.

Im not surprised Rhodes didn't make it, McCormack concerns me though, he has a lot to offer but at 30 he's not got long left to make an impression at international level, for one reason or another his Scotland career has never really got going.

6 hours ago, Peedie said:

I'm more optimistic with this squad than I was throughout the last campaign, reason being there is pace, youth and freshness.  Forrest and Mckay on fire, Matt Ritchie on form, young Burke and Anya as well with pace. Would go:

Marshall

Paterson Martin Hanley Robertson

Morrison McArthur

Forrest Snoddy (c) Ritchie

Griff

Hopefully someone can transform Tierney in to a right footer as he should be a starter in the next few years but you can't take out Robertson :(

Has Tierney not played at Celtic in a back three recently? If so, we could have him and robertson in a 3-5-2?

3 minutes ago, Rab The Crab said:

Im not surprised Rhodes didn't make it, McCormack concerns me though, he has a lot to offer but at 30 he's not got long left to make an impression at international level, for one reason or another his Scotland career has never really got going.

I'm not sure what more McCormack can do....he's scored 92 goals in the last 5 seasons in a league that Strachan wanks over, but still doesn't get picked.

Strachan seems determined to play the same players and formation that managed to get us 4th in the last qualifiers. 

1 minute ago, Rossy said:

I'm not sure what more McCormack can do....he's scored 92 goals in the last 5 seasons in a league that Strachan wanks over, but still doesn't get picked.

Strachan seems determined to play the same players and formation that managed to get us 4th in the last qualifiers. 

There's been some suggestion in other threads that McCormack had previously said he wouldn't travel if not getting a start, I've never seen any proof of this though.

1 minute ago, Rab The Crab said:

My mistake, I forgot he doesn't play there any more.

Id reckon he's even further down the pecking order for a midfield slot.

Despite being pretty much universally acknowledged as one of the stand out players in Scotland over the last 2 years ?

I presume you've never seen him play ?

6 hours ago, Thelma said:

Find it really disturbing that the Scotland manager thinks that John McGinn has more to offer the Scotland midfield than Ross McCormack, Craig Bryson or Tom Cairney. 

McCormack doesn't play in his position so that's pointless saying that; Bryson and Cairney would have been regulars now if they had been good enough. McGinn has potential and that is why he's selected. Many of us wanted youth given a chance.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

Not sure what a lot of people seem to have been expecting.

Keepers: The standard best 2 and one young one to get to know them and give them motivation.

RB: Paterson and Hutton were pretty nailed on before they were named. You could make a case for Bardsley, but I'd assume there's a reason we don't know about as to why he's not involved. Beyond that there's no real options. Palmer isn't playing. Love's too raw. Caddis is no better than Hutton.

LB: Tough one to call since we had 4 decent left backs. Thought Kingsley might have done enough to keep his place, bu no real complains. 2 young promising players here.

CB: No real options here at all. Greer's a bit of a waste of a shirt, I'd like to have seen Cooper called up again just to try and get someone experience, tho he was a bit of a bombscare at the weekend and should probably have walked for repeatedly chopping and holding Steven Fletcher. Still, we've got no options to look to here, that's the reality.

Central: Fletcher, McArthur, Morrison, Bannan, McDonald. Morrison and Bannan were certs. Fletcher, I guess will be squad Captain since Brown's gone, tho i'm not sure he's worth a start. McArthur always seems over-awed by internationals and so prone to mistakes. McDonald probably won't kick a ball, not sure why he's there. Other options: Bridcutt (not really earned it with his performances at Leeds) and Ryan Jack who tbh I've not be particularly impressed by. Charlie Adam not kicking a ball at the moment. Dorrans injured? Mulgrew without a club. So the first 4 are the best we have, like it or not.

Wings: Plenty of youth and promise here. Anya and Ritchie are the old hands, but I'm not sure Ritchie will play. Burke looks a great prospect and Forrest looks like a new man lately. McKay and McGinn keep their places too, and Snoddy is back tho you've got to think he'll play central as a number 10. Glad we went with the youth rather than going for 'Premier League' names like Boyd or Philips, especially given how Philips appeared to not care in the slightest against Italy.

Forwards: Fletcher and Griffiths were nailed on. Both have started the season well. Naismith hasn't really been at it from what I've seen and I'm at a loss what Martin offers us. I suppose he's the poor man's Fletcher if he takes a knock, but surely Naismith showed he was decent enough at link up play a while back. So it's disappointing to see Martin there, McCormack's pretty much the only other name you could put in there tho.

So overall, it's about as good a squad as we could have hoped for, bar a couple of not particularly important places... 4th choice centerback, Greer, and 4th choice striker, Martin. There's also a decent amount of youth in there, 7 players 22 or under.

Team (hopefully):
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Marshall (31)
Paterson (21) - Martin (30) - Hanley (24) - Robertson (22)
 - - - - - - - - - Morrison (30) - Bannan (26)
 - - - - - - Burke (19) - Snodgrass (28) - Anya (28)
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Griffiths (26)

It's hardly a team of old men as some seem to be making out (av. age 26). There's pace on the flanks, creativity in the middle and Snoddy and Griffiths know where the goal is. It's certainly the most comfortable on the ball side I can think for a long time.

I think we should go into this positive, we might need a little time on the pitch to gel, but we've got ability in the team. Let's pick up 3 points, score a few goals, settle everyone down and build a bit of chemistry before Lithuania and then ramping up to Slovakia.

The disappointment is more a realisation of how shite we actually are

8 minutes ago, Rossy said:

This.

Fletcher and Martin have done nothing for Scotland and it's time they were parked.

Rhodes and McCormack are far better options in my opinion. 

I can't remember ever being this disinterested in a qualifying campaign before