Squad Announcment - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad Announcment

vanderark14

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Chuck in James Forrest getting constantly picked and people wonder why so many have given up their SSC membership and now have little more than a passing interest in Scotland games.

Strachan and McGhee have killed the fanbase in a way that Levein was never able to do.

To be fair to Forrest he's been really good this season so far. Rogers has certainly managed to get the best out of him. 

21 minutes ago, Rab The Crab said:

Universally acknowledged aye?

Pretty much, aye.

Is there an echo in here ?

6 minutes ago, wembley67lisbon said:

To be fair to Forrest he's been really good this season so far. Rogers has certainly managed to get the best out of him. 

I'll give you that.

He's been laughably rank for Scotland for years now. Also awful for Celtic for the last couple of years, yet bafflingly still managed to get picked by Strachan. 

43 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Darren Fletch was ever-present for WBA last season:cannot believe no one is picking him here. Captain by a streetlength; Snoddy as vice captain.

Easily my choice for Captain. He has been for years (when fit) above Brown too.

58 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Despite being pretty much universally acknowledged as one of the stand out players in Scotland over the last 2 years ?

I presume you've never seen him play ?

Mostly by Aberdeen fans.

Others are more objective and acknowledge his skills without making him out to be Maldini or Bale.

Shinnie is capable of playing right back, and has done so in some big games for Caley Thistle - namely their winning Scottish Cup run.

Obviously it remains to be seen if he could do it at international level, but we've had four friendlies in the last few months where we could have tried him and maybe someone else out at right back to see what they could offer. Even just in training. But Strachan would rather go with Hutton and Paterson, two players out of form, than try anything.

In Strachan's defence, he obviously doesn't see McCormack or Rhodes as long term (or short term) solutions, and therefore not worth spending time developing. That being said, they should both be in there ahead of Chris Martin. But it might have been better dropping a striker for another young prospect in another position for the experience. E.g Ryan Fraser or Stephen Kingsley

As for the likes of Hutton and Greer. We have a serious lack of options in their department. Going for experience is understandable when there are no decent replacements. 

This is the first time in years that Forrest has justified his inclusion, so i think, for once, we should get off his back.

7 hours ago, Sempre said:

Shinnie is capable of playing right back, and has done so in some big games for Caley Thistle - namely their winning Scottish Cup run.

Obviously it remains to be seen if he could do it at international level, but we've had four friendlies in the last few months where we could have tried him and maybe someone else out at right back to see what they could offer. Even just in training. But Strachan would rather go with Hutton and Paterson, two players out of form, than try anything.

Strachan has been arrogant and blinkered all his footballing career, and he's no different now in his failed experiment of being Scotland manager.

I think we've all long accepted that he has favourite players who will get picked no matter how poorly they play for club and country, and he has other players that no matter how good their form, he'll simply refuse to pick. That's how he is.

There was a newspaper article during the Euro's where it was correctly pointed out that if McGovern, Magennis and McGinn were Scottish, they would be nowhere near the Scotland set-up, because they play for the wrong clubs. Equally, if Rooney and Hayes were Scottish, would Strachan pick them ? Probably not.

56 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Strachan has been arrogant and blinkered all his footballing career, and he's no different now in his failed experiment of being Scotland manager.

I think we've all long accepted that he has favourite players who will get picked no matter how poorly they play for club and country, and he has other players that no matter how good their form, he'll simply refuse to pick. That's how he is.

There was a newspaper article during the Euro's where it was correctly pointed out that if McGovern, Magennis and McGinn were Scottish, they would be nowhere near the Scotland set-up, because they play for the wrong clubs. Equally, if Rooney and Hayes were Scottish, would Strachan pick them ? Probably not.

*Because we have better players in their positions

1 hour ago, Rossy said:

"Because they play for the wrong clubs". There are soooo many examples as to why that is wrong. If he was biased towards premier league teams and Celtic, then why does he never call up Adam, Bardsley, Arfield (previously), Armstrong, GMS, Fraser, Kingsley and some good players from the championship (McCormack etc)? He also picks players from Hearts and Hibs.

Strachan picks players based on ability. Something that almost all past managers going back to Vogts haven't done. I.e fill the squad with old firm players and premier league bench warmers. Whether you agree with his perception on ability or not is irrelevant. 

Maloney would be in the squad if he was just picking his favourites

Edited by Tartan blood

14 hours ago, Rab The Crab said:

So inexplicable that he explained why they didn't make the squad.

Maloney needs games, Rhodes and McCormack are obviously similar to Griffiths in his opinion and he's gone for him and well, in the case of Shinnie it's pretty obvious, he's probably 6th choice left back after Robertson, Tierney, Kingsley, Forsyth and Wallace.

Agree or not, those are the facts.

Maloney needs games?

if thats his excuse why did he always pick the now useless Hutton when he wasn't getting games? Why is Any picked despite playing about 3 minutes of football so far?

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Maloney needs games?

if thats his excuse why did he always pick the now useless Hutton when he wasn't getting games? Why is Any picked despite playing about 3 minutes of football so far?

Hutton was actually pretty decent for Scotland during the period that he was frozen out at Villa, probably one of our better players at that time.

Just now, aaid said:

Hutton was actually pretty decent for Scotland during the period that he was frozen out at Villa, probably one of our better players at that time.

really?

during that time he was caught out of position more times than I care to count. 

22 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Maloney needs games?

You did watch the press conference aye?

He said some people need games and some don't.

29 minutes ago, Rab The Crab said:

You did watch the press conference aye?

He said some people need games and some don't.

What was his justification for that statement? 

I think Strachan just opens his mouth and lets his stomach rumble.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

really?

during that time he was caught out of position more times than I care to count. 

The period I'm talking about is the first year or so when Strachan first took over, things were on the up and we had a string of good results.  The manager could obviously see it even if you couldn't.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-gordon-strachan-alan-6310736

18 minutes ago, aaid said:

The period I'm talking about is the first year or so when Strachan first took over, things were on the up and we had a string of good results.  The manager could obviously see it even if you couldn't.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-gordon-strachan-alan-6310736

Oh!! thats ok then. Strachan thinks he's good, I will change my opinion completely because strachan praised him publicly:lol::lol: