Squad Announcment - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad Announcment

vanderark14

2 hours ago, Rab The Crab said:

You did watch the press conference aye?

He said some people need games and some don't.

Ahh the classic line that allows him to pick and drop whoever he wants, without actually justifying it or applying consistency in selection. 

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Rossy said:

Chuck in James Forrest getting constantly picked and people wonder why so many have given up their SSC membership and now have little more than a passing interest in Scotland games.

Strachan and McGhee have killed the fanbase in a way that Levein was never able to do.

I agree with the sentiments of your post but I have to say that Forrest played really well against us on the 1st game of the season. 

21 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Oh!! thats ok then. Strachan thinks he's good, I will change my opinion completely because strachan praised him publicly:lol::lol:

I'm not asking you to change your opinion but maybe accept that others disagree 

25 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Ahh the classic line that allows him to pick and drop whoever he wants, without actually justifying it or applying consistency in selection. 

He's the manager, surely he should pick and drop whoever he wants?  I know everyone's an expert, but he's the guy charged with picking the team.  Maybe he just says some people need games cos it wouldn't do much for their confidence if he just said he thought somebody else was a better player?

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

*Because we have better players in their positions

Yeah, and because we qualified for the final rounds of the Euros and Northern Ireland didn't.

Oh. Wait a minute...

24 minutes ago, dipped flake said:

I agree with the sentiments of your post but I have to say that Forrest played really well against us on the 1st game of the season. 

I'm glad that after around 5 or 6 years, he's managed to play two decent games in a row.

Let's see if he can actually do anything in a Scotland shirt other than run around the park like a little boy lost.

1 minute ago, adamntg said:

He's the manager, surely he should pick and drop whoever he wants?  I know everyone's an expert, but he's the guy charged with picking the team.  Maybe he just says some people need games cos it wouldn't do much for their confidence if he just said he thought somebody else was a better player?

That would be absolutely fine if Strachan applied this reason consistently. He doesn't.

But that would also be fine, and nobody would give a crap how daft his reasoning was, if we actually won games or even played to a decent level.

We don't. Under Strachan, we're consistent under-achievers.....more so than under Levein or Burley even. To finish 4th in that last group was a disgrace, and should have seen Strachan get his arse booted out of Hampden.

There's an awful lot of silliness flying around in this thread.

Ryan Fraser - Barely kicked a ball for b'muff, played poorly in the only game he's played.
Alan Hutton - Picked for years because we simply didnt have an alternative.
Charlie Adam - Played a total of 200 minutes since xmas (i'm not even kidding).
James Forrest - Playing very well right now, and it's clear to see how Anya's pace helped us on the left.
Graeme Shinnie - 5th best left back, 6th best defensive mid.
Jordan Rhodes - Family bereavement, not playing for Boro.
Matt Phillips - Had a chance in the last squad, did nothing to deserve another chance.
Ross McCormack - Fair enough.. he should probably be there instead of Martin, but it's unlikely either would play.

As for Rossy, I'm just gonna ignore him, he's just one of those who enjoys being upset.. bleating about how everyone and everything's rubbish with nothing constructive to say at all.

33 minutes ago, Rossy said:

I'm glad that after around 5 or 6 years, he's managed to play two decent games in a row.

Let's see if he can actually do anything in a Scotland shirt other than run around the park like a little boy lost.

That would be absolutely fine if Strachan applied this reason consistently. He doesn't.

But that would also be fine, and nobody would give a crap how daft his reasoning was, if we actually won games or even played to a decent level.

We don't. Under Strachan, we're consistent under-achievers.....more so than under Levein or Burley even. To finish 4th in that last group was a disgrace, and should have seen Strachan get his arse booted out of Hampden.

A disgrace? 

27 minutes ago, andyD said:

Ryan Fraser - Barely kicked a ball for b'muff, played poorly in the only game he's played.
James Forrest - Playing very well right now, and it's clear to see how Anya's pace helped us on the left.
Matt Phillips - Had a chance in the last squad, did nothing to deserve another chance.
Ross McCormack - Fair enough.. he should probably be there instead of Martin, but it's unlikely either would play.

As for Rossy, I'm just gonna ignore him, he's just one of those who enjoys being upset.. bleating about how everyone and everything's rubbish with nothing constructive to say at all.

:lol:

Good one. Once you take your head out of the sand, maybe you can explain just why everything isn't rubbish.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAANzAAAAJDk2MTE2Y2VkLTc1Yzct

15 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

As toepoke says it was disappointing, especially after beating Ireland but "a disgrace" feels like a big exaggeration.

The manner in which we finished 4th in was a disgrace. Finishing 4th on its own would've been massively disappointing. 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

What annoys me is why the press never ever challenge his often ridiculous rationale. Something along the lines of "Aye but Gordon, if that that's yer logic, how come ye've picked (insert player name)?".

I can just about come to terms with most of the selections if I try really hard, but Martin over McCormack is simply phukin ridiculous!

1 hour ago, Rossy said:

Forrest has played well in probably every game he has played in so far this season. Yes its surprised me too. But if you are going to pick players because they are playing well at the moment then there isn't any argument he should be in the squad. His previous selections over the last couple of seasons however......

And I am sorry but if you think Strachan is doing a worse job than Levein or Burley then you have a serious memory problem. The gubbing in Norway, the complete capitulation in the friendly in Cardiff, Lithuania away, Lichtenstein home and away, the gubbing in the US....I am sure there are more but I am trying to forget them still.

Finishing 4th in a group that we were 4th seeds in is a disgrace....ok then.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

Someone who talks sense!

The players picked are more or less the best Scotland have to offer give or take one or two, everyone bleating about those in the squad who are past it and those who aren't would make a big difference etc are clutching at straws, same story every time.

Take Alan Hutton for example, has his moments but in the main been a fairly consistent player for Scotland and one of the best right backs we have produced in recent times, you don't play every week at the level he has done otherwise, some folk are deluded and find it easy to criticise players without pin pointing certain situations or reasons why.

3 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Forrest has played well in probably every game he has played in so far this season. Yes its surprised me too. But if you are going to pick players because they are playing well at the moment then there isn't any argument he should be in the squad. His previous selections over the last couple of seasons however......

And I am sorry but if you think Strachan is doing a worse job than Levein or Burley then you have a serious memory problem. The gubbing in Norway, the complete capitulation in the friendly in Cardiff, Lithuania away, Lichtenstein home and away, the gubbing in the US....I am sure there are more but I am trying to forget them still.

Finishing 4th in a group that we were 4th seeds in is a disgrace....ok then.

Results and performances in friendlies can be discounted.

I have no idea but I'm sure someone on here will have a points per competitive game for Vogts, Smith, McLeish, Burley, Levein and Strachan.

The problem is the quality of players available to the manager and not the manager himself.  There is a lot of greetin about the squad selection but those being left out really would only make a marginal difference.

3 minutes ago, Chesney TA said:

Results and performances in friendlies can be discounted.

I have no idea but I'm sure someone on here will have a points per competitive game for Vogts, Smith, McLeish, Burley, Levein and Strachan.

The problem is the quality of players available to the manager and not the manager himself.  There is a lot of greetin about the squad selection but those being left out really would only make a marginal difference.

Yup. All our players would be shite under Strachan. I couldn't agree more. 

51 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

As toepoke says it was disappointing, especially after beating Ireland but "a disgrace" feels like a big exaggeration.

Germany and Poland were the best two teams in the group and deservedly finished first and second.  The games Scotland, Ireland and Georgia played against each other were all very tight and showed the three teams are about the same level.  A bit of luck and we'd have finished third but alternately we were lucky to get the home wins against Georgia and Ireland so could have easily finished fifth.

Edited by Chesney TA

8 minutes ago, Chesney TA said:

Germany and Poland were the best two teams in the group and deservedly finished first and second.  The games Scotland, Ireland and Georgia played against each other were all very tight and showed the three teams are about the same level.  A bit of luck and we'd have finished third but alternately we were lucky to get the home wins against Georgia and Ireland so could have easily finished fifth.

Agree with the general gist of your post but don't agree we were "lucky" to beat Georgia and Ireland at home.

We convincingly outplayed Georgia and although we should have scored more goals I don't think the result was ever in doubt.

Ireland game was a lot closer but I believe we did enough that day to win the match and I'd certainly never describe the victory as "lucky". Hard fought maybe.

1 minute ago, Marky said:

Agree with the general gist of your post but don't agree we were "lucky" to beat Georgia and Ireland at home.

We convincingly outplayed Georgia and although we should have scored more goals I don't think the result was ever in doubt.

Ireland game was a lot closer but I believe we did enough that day to win the match and I'd certainly never describe the victory as "lucky". Hard fought maybe.

Hanley not being sent off and Ireland hitting the bar in the last minute could be described as "lucky" IMO. 

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Hanley not being sent off and Ireland hitting the bar in the last minute could be described as "lucky" IMO.

Know what you mean, but only in the same way you might describe a last minute goal, or getting a dubious penalty as lucky. To me these are all things that regularly happen in a football match.

In this context I'd describe lucky as meaning, winning a game you didn't deserve to win. In that respect I don't think we were lucky.

2 hours ago, aaid said:

I'm not asking you to change your opinion but maybe accept that others disagree 

what are you on about?

you were the one using an interview with strachan to back up your opinion that Hutton had played well for us. ts not like Strachan is going to slate him is it

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

The manner in which we finished 4th in was a disgrace. Finishing 4th on its own would've been massively disappointing. 

It all came down to the fact we lost in Georgia and Ireland took four points off the Germans.  A "disgrace" is an over-reaction of Old Firm proportions.

Edited by adamntg