Squad Announcment - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad Announcment

vanderark14

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Strachan picks players based on ability. Something that almost all past managers going back to Vogts haven't done. I.e fill the squad with old firm players and premier league bench warmers. Whether you agree with his perception on ability or not is irrelevant. 

Maloney would be in the squad if he was just picking his favourites

I would say you are completely wrong. Strachan doesn't pick players based on ability; he picks players to fit with a one dimensional formation that he rarely deviates from. It would seem he is going to continue with this formation this campaign despite its clear failings last campaign. He is either too pig-headed or lacking in tactical ability to play any other formation or at least understand what other formations would work for us. so we will continue with the 4-3-2-1, and players like Rhodes and McCormack will contine to be overlooked as he perseveres with this system that will probably end in us failing to qualify again.

if he picked players solely down to ability, the formation would change to accommodate the strengths of the best 11 we have........imagine that; playing a formation and style that suited your best players and not one constant formation that suits the manager. in every game.

5 minutes ago, adamntg said:

It all came down to the fact we lost in Georgia and Ireland took four points off the Germans.  A "disgrace" is an over-reaction of Old Form proportions.

There was other things than just the Georgia game.  

25 minutes ago, Marky said:

Know what you mean, but only in the same way you might describe a last minute goal, or getting a dubious penalty as lucky. To me these are all things that regularly happen in a football match.

In this context I'd describe lucky as meaning, winning a game you didn't deserve to win. In that respect I don't think we were lucky.

I totally agree that we were the better side and deserved to win that game. 

2 hours ago, Rossy said:

:lol:

Good one. Once you take your head out of the sand, maybe you can explain just why everything isn't rubbish.

I already did. Here's a link to it:

You see, I afforded you the respect of actually reading your posts (up to this point), clearly you didn't do the same. You just throw your toys around your pram and pretend there's no rhyme or reason to anything that happens and that there's not teh slightest glimmer of hope to be found.

Something to keep in mind: The squad is not the 11 who go out on the pitch. Sure, there's the possibility for a fairly depressing 11 to be fielding from the squad, but there's also a good change of a promising, young and exciting side.

But You seem to have a chip on your shoulder and a grudge against Strachan, so I don't expect you to acknowledge any of that.. just carry on wasting peoples time crying that the bang-in-form James Forrest is on the list.

52 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

I would say you are completely wrong. Strachan doesn't pick players based on ability; he picks players to fit with a one dimensional formation that he rarely deviates from. It would seem he is going to continue with this formation this campaign despite its clear failings last campaign. He is either too pig-headed or lacking in tactical ability to play any other formation or at least understand what other formations would work for us. so we will continue with the 4-3-2-1, and players like Rhodes and McCormack will contine to be overlooked as he perseveres with this system that will probably end in us failing to qualify again.

if he picked players solely down to ability, the formation would change to accommodate the strengths of the best 11 we have........imagine that; playing a formation and style that suited your best players and not one constant formation that suits the manager. in every game.

And the irony is that when Strachan first took charge, that was exactly how he said he would operate i.e. Formation/tactics to suit the best players available. 

It sounded exciting at the time but now we realise that what he really meant was "I think we're shite and are pretty much always likely to be shite. So I'm going to play this way forever no matter how unsuccessful it might prove". 

1 hour ago, Return of Yermaw said:

Very accurate

3 hours ago, SMcoolJ said:

Yes, that's what he said.

Furthermore, it didn't stop Strachan picking McLean ahead of Shinnie for that role.  Further evidence of how clueless he and McGhimp are.

McLean and Shinnie are completely different types of midfielders so it's not really a fair comparison.

2 hours ago, Marky said:

Agree with the general gist of your post but don't agree we were "lucky" to beat Georgia and Ireland at home.

We convincingly outplayed Georgia and although we should have scored more goals I don't think the result was ever in doubt.

Ireland game was a lot closer but I believe we did enough that day to win the match and I'd certainly never describe the victory as "lucky". Hard fought maybe.

I reckon draws would have been fair results in both those games and don't think we were a goal better team in either.

17 minutes ago, Chesney TA said:

I reckon draws would have been fair results in both those games and don't think we were a goal better team in either.

I'd accept the difference of opinion re the Ireland game (whilst still disagreeing with it obvs :-)), but you must've watched a different Georgia game to me. For me Scotland played arguably the best football of the whole campaign that day and their only failing was the old classic lack of an end product. 

1 hour ago, Rab The Crab said:

McLean and Shinnie are completely different types of midfielders so it's not really a fair comparison.

I don't disagree but Strachan picked McLean to play as a holding midfielder. Shinnie is infinitely better in that position. 

3 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

I totally agree that Strachan is a bit too rigid with his formation. He said that he would "adapt it to suit exceptional players but at the moment we don't have any worth adjusting it for". That is a tad disrespectful to the squad. But not entirley inaccurate.

Anyway, that doesn't invalidate my point. He does pick based on ability. But they also have to be able to play in the system and have the right attitude. Sorry but McCormack or Rhodes definitely aren't good enough to change the whole system for. Both Griffiths and S.Fletcher are better and can easily play in the 4-2-3-1. 

So, yes, we should play our best players to their strengths. But i don't see how a 4321 hinders our current best players.

47 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I totally agree that Strachan is a bit too rigid with his formation. He said that he would "adapt it to suit exceptional players but at the moment we don't have any worth adjusting it for". That is a tad disrespectful to the squad. But not entirley inaccurate.

Anyway, that doesn't invalidate my point. He does pick based on ability. But they also have to be able to play in the system and have the right attitude. Sorry but McCormack or Rhodes definitely aren't good enough to change the whole system for. Both Griffiths and S.Fletcher are better and can easily play in the 4-2-3-1. 

So, yes, we should play our best players to their strengths. But i don't see how a 4321 hinders our current best players.

The point that some of us are obviously struggling to make is that Strachan's rigid formation with the same players is, to every extent, failing. 

No, we don't have great players. But neither do Ireland or Northern Ireland. What they do have though, is a manager that is able to get the best out of the players available.....in short, they're greater than the sum of their parts.

I have seen absolutely nothing from Scotland under Strachan that suggests he is capable of doing the same. 

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

the fact Chris Martin gets picked blows your "based on ability"  right out the water, he is honking. and when Forrest is honking, he still makes the squad.

the fact you say in one breath that Strachan is a bit too rigid with his formation but then suggest that we don't have the players to change formation (or need to) is highly questionable. if 4-3-2-1 doesn't hinder us or our players, then we would be progressing as a team. we are not - we failed to qulify; we failed to get results in key games at the integral stage of the qualifiers; and if you compare recent performances with those at the beginning of Strachan's tenure then I am sure you would agree that we have regressed. And i'm afraid despite your denials, that simply is down to the manager, his squad selection and his tactics.

We look tired and predictable and teams know how we will play and they know how to deal with it.

5 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

We would end up playing 0-9-1. Or something equally as radical with no centre backs. 

England have tried for years to work formations that got all their best players on the pitch. Its done them next to no good, considering the players and resources they have available, IMO. Their classic one was sticking Gerrard and Lampard in centre of midfield and then shoe-horning Paul Scholes in at left mid.

I do actually think Strachan is doing a bit of what you suggest. If you acknowledge we have to go with a back 4 - agreed? And we are pretty lacking in decent strikers - agreed? Then sticking players in the midfield, in the same way that a lot of teams play these days, is the end result. And its roughly the formation which he has been playing. There has been a lot of "he has to change it" chat. But to what? Or rather who? Plenty of suggestions on the 5-10 players who shouldn't be in the squad but I don't think there is any outstanding candidate(s) who are continually over looked who would have drastically changed our fortunes in the last campaign. I do think the lack of say a McCormack or a Bardsley, who has started the new season well but has never been in Strachans squads, is wrong. I do think it would be better to select a youngster as 3rd/4th choice centre back instead of Greer. But I still don't think any of these players left out would make a massive difference to where we are. Some of the comments seem to hint at some gold mine of untested or unselected players waiting in the wings to replace Fletcher and Fletcher and Hutton and whoever else. I would love to know who these players are.

1 hour ago, TartanSpice said:

Just flicked on BT Sports to see Strachan talking about Griffiths. Would not be surprised in the slightest if he didn't start him against Malta.

Saw that, he was a bit touchy when Lineker said it was all about scoring goals.

I think we need to prepare ourself for Fletcher being 1st choice again for this campaign.

20 minutes ago, Rab The Crab said:

Saw that, he was a bit touchy when Lineker said it was all about scoring goals.

I think we need to prepare ourself for Fletcher being 1st choice again for this campaign.

Based on his performance tonight there would be no doubt, he's had poor service but struggling to hold the ball up anytime it gets near him.

9 hours ago, Marky said:

What annoys me is why the press never ever challenge his often ridiculous rationale. Something along the lines of "Aye but Gordon, if that that's yer logic, how come ye've picked (insert player name)?".

I can just about come to terms with most of the selections if I try really hard, but Martin over McCormack is simply phukin ridiculous!

Martin over one of these dummies used in training when practising free kicks would be phukin ridiculous.