Squad Announcment - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad Announcment

vanderark14

12 minutes ago, Rab The Crab said:

So would you not agree he's the kind of player that needs minutes or his fitness suffers?

Every player needs to play. Strachan was speaking pish when he said "some players need games some don't"

The point in this instance is Adam, like McCormack, should be in our squads more regularly.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

There has been two league games.

You seem to have left out the bit about playing over 100 matches in the last 4 seasons in the EPL, which was the main point. Well done.

I was looking at why he's not in the squad right now and why he's not really entitled to be crying about it.

If you want to go back in time and look at when he was playing more regularly for his club and ask why he wasn't in the squad then well.. i hate to break it to you, but he was in the squad then. 3 years ago when we beat Croatia at home and he was playing twice as much at club level he was in the squad. He didn't get on the pitch because because Brown, Morrison and Snodgrass were all better than him. But he got a call up.

So it's pretty simple really. He's plays 250ish minutes of premier league football since the new year. That's not even 3 games worth. I've no idea who you think he's entitled to push out of the squad with that little time on a pitch.

3 minutes ago, andyD said:

I was looking at why he's not in the squad right now and why he's not really entitled to be crying about it.

If you want to go back in time and look at when he was playing more regularly for his club and ask why he wasn't in the squad then well.. i hate to break it to you, but he was in the squad then. 3 years ago when we beat Croatia at home and he was playing twice as much at club level he was in the squad. He didn't get on the pitch because because Brown, Morrison and Snodgrass were all better than him. But he got a call up.

So it's pretty simple really. He's plays 250ish minutes of premier league football since the new year. That's not even 3 games worth. I've no idea who you think he's entitled to push out of the squad with that little time on a pitch.

Lol.

Not saying he should be in this squad.

Strachan continually leaves out players he should be picking - Something he's done so for years.

That's it.

The only one I can think of who probably should be in the squad but isn't is McCormack. Strachan says Martin offers him something different to what McCormack offers, and neither will likely play, so i don't think it matters anyway.

Adam shouldn't be in the squad. Much as people complain about Greer, there's not really anyone to push him out.

So who's on this list you've got of players who should be in the squad but aren't?

McCormack should be in the squad in front of Fletcher or Martin, sorry but the guy is a far better finisher than both of them and has more skill than the 2 of them put together.  I watch a lot of the championship and McCormack last few seasons has played out of his skin scoring goals and assisting them.  Some of his goals have been crackers.  The other thing is when he has been called up at the last minute like Czech game he has jumped at the chance unlike some players who wouldn't bother going if they were not going to be picked.  Would have started McCormack just off of Griffiths, think they would link up well together.

50 minutes ago, andyD said:

The only one I can think of who probably should be in the squad but isn't is McCormack. Strachan says Martin offers him something different to what McCormack offers, and neither will likely play, so i don't think it matters anyway.

Adam shouldn't be in the squad. Much as people complain about Greer, there's not really anyone to push him out.

So who's on this list you've got of players who should be in the squad but aren't?

As I said, repeatedly Strachan leaves out players he should include and includes some beyond baffling selections.

Martin out and Greer out are both obvious ones.

McCormack and Cooper/A young cb - Bearing in mind Martin, Hanley & Berra are 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice. Souttar is probably the prime candidate after Cooper.

The selection of McGinn is a tad strange, playing at a low level and untried. However he's young so it's interesting to see what he can bring.

If you think Strachans squad selections are correct and he isn't stubborn and short sightened with what he's doing then you're in a minority.

Edited by ProudScot

20 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

As I said, repeatedly Strachan leaves out players he should include and includes some beyond baffling selections.

McCormack and Cooper/A young cb - Bearing in mind Martin, Hanley & Berra are 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice. Souttar is probably the prime candidate after Cooper.

The selection of McGinn is a tad strange, playing at a low level and untried. However he's young so it's interesting to see what he can bring.

If you think Strachans squad selections are correct and he isn't stubborn and short sightened with what he's doing then you're in a minority.

I can only imagine Strachan doesn't rate Cooper as he was one of the very few if not the only one not to get any game time in the Denmark/Czech friendlies.

I think McCormack deserves to be in every squad and I know he's had the occasional injury but his Scotland career has never really got going.

I'm surprised big Matt Smith at Fulham hasn't been mentioned, similar style to Martin but can actually move.

2 hours ago, Rab The Crab said:

I can only imagine Strachan doesn't rate Cooper as he was one of the very few if not the only one not to get any game time in the Denmark/Czech friendlies.

I think McCormack deserves to be in every squad and I know he's had the occasional injury but his Scotland career has never really got going.

I'm surprised big Matt Smith at Fulham hasn't been mentioned, similar style to Martin but can actually move.

I suspect Strachan wasn't impressed with Cooper before the Denmark games in training, as he was someone he spoke pretty highly of when first called up, yet seemed one of the only players he didn't use (fair enough if not enough time to use him in a game, then give him a chance in the next set of game...which he didn't).

Matt Smith the boy who scored for Oldham against Liverpool(?) few years back.... I know he is eligible, and always struck me as the type of player that would interest Strachan, yet name has never been mentioned since it was first made aware he could play for us.

24 minutes ago, wanderer said:

I suspect Strachan wasn't impressed with Cooper before the Denmark games in training, as he was someone he spoke pretty highly of when first called up, yet seemed one of the only players he didn't use (fair enough if not enough time to use him in a game, then give him a chance in the next set of game...which he didn't).

Matt Smith the boy who scored for Oldham against Liverpool(?) few years back.... I know he is eligible, and always struck me as the type of player that would interest Strachan, yet name has never been mentioned since it was first made aware he could play for us.

Whatever one thinks about Gordon Strachan, I seriously doubt that he is stupid enough to completely write off a player based on a training session.

Cooper will get his chance at some point. We have far too few central defenders for a start..

One that's not been mentioned that I personally think deserves more of a look in is Johnny Russell. Admittedly no idea if he's getting a game for Derby just now but he's always impressed me when given a chance in the squad.

18 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Whatever one thinks about Gordon Strachan, I seriously doubt that he is stupid enough to completely write off a player based on a training session.

Cooper will get his chance at some point. We have far too few central defenders for a start..

Given how bottom the barrel we are just now for with central defenders, and he has not had a sniff in the last two squads says to me Strachan has seen nothing that is better than what we already have.... and to be honest, I would not put it past Strachan given his history over over looking players that do not fit into his style of play.

On 25/08/2016 at 1:12 PM, ProudScot said:

Watched Liam Cooper play last week. He was pretty dodgy. Lots of fouls, lots of 'should have been fouls' that he got away with. It was one of those weird ones where he was lucky to stay on the park, but somehow didn't even get booked.

I don't think he's anywhere near ready for international football. He's only 23, so maybe in 3-4 years or so, but right now, if we did for some reason end up having to field our 4th choice center back, Greer is by far the better choice.

Haven't seen much of John Souttar this season, so will have to defer judgement on his involvement.

As for McGinn, I guess Strachan sees him calm on the ball and his passing and thinks that's the kind of player he wants to see coming thru for the Senior side. Involving him might not only aid his own development, but inspire others to think about the way they play. Despite where his club are now, he's played almost 90 games in the SPL, he's the sort of youngster it's good to see involved in my opinion.

Honestly, i dont think there's much wrong with this squad at all. You could argue Martin/McCormack.. but that's about it. For the debate about a squad to be confined to the merits of 2 options for 4th choice striker means the squad is about as correct as it could be.

8 hours ago, wanderer said:

Given how bottom the barrel we are just now for with central defenders, and he has not had a sniff in the last two squads says to me Strachan has seen nothing that is better than what we already have.... and to be honest, I would not put it past Strachan given his history over over looking players that do not fit into his style of play.

If you believe that then great ........

But going by that daft logic then he has also completely written off in addition to Cooper - Jack, Shinnie, Watt, Bain, McLean, Russell, Bridcutt and Caddis.

None are regulars but I think it's pretty safe to say that we will see some if not all of them get a run out at some point in the future.

He's a deeply flawed manager but he's not an idiot who would discard players like that.