2016 Ryder Cup - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2016 Ryder Cup

biffer

So the nine automatic places for the European team have been decided

McIlroy, Willett, Stenson, Wood, Garcia, Cabrera-Bello, Rose, Fitzpatrick, Sullivan

Leaves three wild cards for Big Darren to choose in the next few weeks. Contenders would have to include Knox, Dubuisson, McDowell, Kaymer, Westwood, Lowry and Molinari. Given there are already five rookies in the squad with the automatic qualifiers, I think Knox will miss out and he'll pick a few older heads, so I'd expect Kaymer, McDowell and Westwood to be added.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with Kaymer and Westwood. I think Lowry will be the man to get the nod. He's played OK in America this year and is above McDowell in the points table. Would like to see Russell Knox get it, but think Clarke will go with Lowry as he has performed better in the bigger tournaments this year (and had a 65 this week, I think?).

34 minutes ago, Duncan Blackheart said:

Agree with Kaymer and Westwood. I think Lowry will be the man to get the nod. He's played OK in America this year and is above McDowell in the points table. Would like to see Russell Knox get it, but think Clarke will go with Lowry as he has performed better in the bigger tournaments this year (and had a 65 this week, I think?).

I know what you mean, but it'd be adding another rookie to go with Cabrera-Bello, Willett, Wood, Fitzpatrick and Sullivan i.e. half of your team never having played in the Ryder Cup before. That's why I think it'll be three guys who've been there before. If it wasn't for that, I'd agree that Lowry is the best choice (although Knox is in 10th spot in the qualifying ranking). 

11 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

He'll be forgotten about by the time the Ryder cup comes along hopefully. 

I like him. It's good to see folk enjoying themselves on the golf course for a change. I don't think he should be in the team but I would pick him before Westwood. 

1 hour ago, Mitre said:

I think the Americans will romp it

Knox has only got himself to blame for not making it

You could say that about Sandy Lyle or Richie Ramsay or anybody else who didn't make it. He just didn't play quite well enough. I'm sure he tried his hardest though. 

I'm sure he will feel a wee bit disappointed but he came pretty close. He can console himself by thinking about how much he has improved in the last few years. If anybody had suggested three years ago that Knox would be in contention for a Ryder Cup spot in 2016, most folk would have said "Who?"

I've still got a wee feeling that Stenson might have to pull out. If that happened, I'm not sure if his spot goes to the next on the points table or Clarke gets another pick?

1 hour ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Can see Europe struggling in this one... and there will be no comeback like 4 years ago. 

I think the Ryder Cup is one of the most difficult sporting competitions to predict. You have got 24 of the world's top golfers competing in a format that they don't play very often. Even in amatuer golf the result of any single match can come down to one or two poor shots or one or two moments of brilliance. At the level these guys are playing at, the margin for victory or defeat in any match is tiny. 

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

You could say that about Sandy Lyle or Richie Ramsay or anybody else who didn't make it. He just didn't play quite well enough. I'm sure he tried his hardest though. 

I'm sure he will feel a wee bit disappointed but he came pretty close. He can console himself by thinking about how much he has improved in the last few years. If anybody had suggested three years ago that Knox would be in contention for a Ryder Cup spot in 2016, most folk would have said "Who?"

I've still got a wee feeling that Stenson might have to pull out. If that happened, I'm not sure if his spot goes to the next on the points table or Clarke gets another pick?

Ffs a golf rule and you don't know the answer.........:)

Have to agree with your comments btw. Knox is unlucky, but can feel very pleased with himself, for how he has progressed. If he continues like this, there will be other Ryder Cup places there for him. 

As was said in previous posts, you could have made a case for 5 or 6 guys getting wildcard spots. 

2 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

Ffs a golf rule and you don't know the answer.........:)

Have to agree with your comments btw. Knox is unlucky, but can feel very pleased with himself, for how he has progressed. If he continues like this, there will be other Ryder Cup places there for him. 

As was said in previous posts, you could have made a case for 5 or 6 guys getting wildcard spots. 

I know what happens if a player gets injured after the competition starts, but I don't know what the rules are regarding a player phoning in sick between the team being announced and the start of the competition. It's a bit much expecting me to know all the rules.;) I know some of the rules very well, but I am still finding others that I haven't heard of before. 

Here's one I found out about for the first time a few weeks ago. Let's see if you know this one . Nae googlin' noo.

You are playing matchplay and both you and your opponent are on the green. You are 12 feet away and he is 10 feet. You putt first and leave yourself a 12 incher. He doesn't concede the putt (miserable fuker), and you just walk up and tap it in. Has any rule been broken? 

Haha that is a good one. 

My instant reaction, would be to say that, I am entitled to finish off, so no rule has been breached by me finishing it. 

However knowing how wanky we golfers can be, I'm going to guess that it is a rule breach, because I didn't declare what my intentions were? 

17 hours ago, Orraloon said:

He did play well enough though. Winning 2 PGA titles in a season is fantastic going, especially for a non-American.

Unfortunately he chose not to play in enough European ranking tournaments to make the team on merit through earnings. I think he was a wee bit too blase in thinking he would be a wildcard pick due to his USA form.

In fact I read an interview online where he came across as being a bit of an arse with his expectation comments on being a wildcard pick.

I'll try and dig it out.

Good luck to him all the same. Always good to see a Scot doing well especially over the pond.