2016 Ryder Cup - Page 8 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2016 Ryder Cup

biffer

1 minute ago, Auld_Reekie said:

In fairness his brother had a point. Its just that he should have wrote it next week.

Aye.

The problem was he brought attention on to his brother, who hasn't hit a ball straight since he somehow managed to win the Masters.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

In fairness his brother had a point. Its just that he should have wrote it next week.

For the Ryder Cup next week would have been fine but for his brother's ability to play in the US without being heckled for the rest of career never would have been better.

19 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

You can't be serious. They won it fair and square and they should rightly celebrate. First that then Bubba... WTF?!

Not sure whom you were referring to but yes best team won. Amazing golf.

16 minutes ago, biffer said:

Rose two points,  Wood one point,  other five English players no points in three days. Cabrera Bello 2.5 points from 3 games, Pieters 4 points from 5.

They were both excellent. Many points to come from them in the future.

2 hours ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Christ. Muted celebrations. They should quite rightly be going absolutely nuts. Well deserved.

Aye quite surprised with the low key celebrations at the winning hole, compared to what went before. 

It's hard to tell from the TV but I think the pins must have been in some of the easiest positions possible. They probably do that deliberately so that there is more chance of birdies to add to the excitement. It kinda turns it into a putting competition which the US won quite convincingly. The amount of putts sunk from outside 10 feet was ridiculous. 

As for Westwood. WTF? He was even worse than I thought he would be, and I'm not his biggest fan. I think this week could just about end his career?

In defence of Westwood he was put in that position by his captain. Should not have been picked. Fair play to Kaymer though he took a lot of stick but lifted game on Sunday.

Should be healthy criticism of Clarke I feel. We lost fair and square but his selections and pairings on Saturday especially were very suspect. 

This Ryder Cup puts to bed the need to bring in experience to counter balance rookies. Form should be all that matters. Experience comes from vice captains.

29 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

In defence of Westwood he was put in that position by his captain. Should not have been picked. Fair play to Kaymer though he took a lot of stick but lifted game on Sunday.

Should be healthy criticism of Clarke I feel. We lost fair and square but his selections and pairings on Saturday especially were very suspect. 

This Ryder Cup puts to bed the need to bring in experience to counter balance rookies. Form should be all that matters. Experience comes from vice captains.

Exactly.

Clarke was a poor captain who made some bad choices. A decent bloke, but one who shouldn't have been made captain.

Saying that, he was badly let down by several players who simply weren't up for the task.....Willett, Sullivan, Wood, and Fitzpatrick were all a waste of a beige cardigan, and there was nothing Clarke could do about that.

Westwood was a horrendous 'mates' choice, but Clarke did get it right by bringing in the brilliant Pieters.

Bottom line is that in general the European players were just overwhelmed by the occasion, and the superb play of the Americans.

Ill be honest though, the margin of victory doesnt reflect how close it was or could have been. If the Americans had missed even a fraction of those putts and we made a fraction of ours (Rose especially was woeful on greens all week, and Westwood missed two shockers on Saturday), we wouldn't have been far away. Fine margins.

But yeah, no denying Americans were better. Just hope something is done about the fans - you could see some players were mentally exhausted from having to take so much sh*t. Some anecdotal stuff that in many ways it was worse than Brookline and not reflected in TV coverage. Vast majority of fans were fantastic but it was a significant minority spoiling it.

27 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Exactly.

Clarke was a poor captain who made some bad choices. A decent bloke, but one who shouldn't have been made captain.

Saying that, he was badly let down by several players who simply weren't up for the task.....Willett, Sullivan, Wood, and Fitzpatrick were all a waste of a beige cardigan, and there was nothing Clarke could do about that.

Westwood was a horrendous 'mates' choice, but Clarke did get it right by bringing in the brilliant Pieters.

Bottom line is that in general the European players were just overwhelmed by the occasion, and the superb play of the Americans.

Bit rough to criticise Wood, Fitzpatrick and Sullivan IMO. Barely got a shout, and I think they would have done better than Westwood if they'd played every day. I always think it's bad captaincy to not play all players every day, you give the impression you don't trust someone to deliver which has a knock on effect on them and knackered some of the other players.