World Incidents - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

World Incidents

Why don't they ever happen when big events such as the World Cup,  Olympics or any other major event is happening?    And not necessarily sports. 

I know Scotty was having a difficult time, but I miss his insight to these questions.    I also gave him a hard time/tough questions - hope he took it in the way it was intended and not spiteful or anti-him.   Haste ye back and all that, if you still read the board!

Back to the point;  are these 'terrorists' too busy watching the floor gymnastics to plot hell to the infidels or is it actually happening but the media are so up their own arse with 'their' sportsmen and women, they don't give a flyingfukk about genocide or murder elsewhere? 

I think someone is up to something, somewhere. 

Massively increased security for these things nowadays

Also carrying out an atrocity at world events could have a negative impact on the eyes of supporters of such groups

There have been incidents in the past however - Munich 1972 being the most well known

I thought he meant why do none of these things happen while the event is on, rather than at the event itself.

Maybe we should extend the World Cup to 128 teams and stretch the Olympus out a bit. Some of the events aren't specific enough...

10 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I thought he meant why do none of these things happen while the event is on, rather than at the event itself.

Ah .. i see

Maybe they dont want the Olympic coverage overshadowing any atrocity ........in line with my gripe on the Rio thread

So the 12 year old blowing themselves up in Turkey and killing 50 wedding guests was just my imagination then?  That's good. Same for the hundred people kidnapped and murdered in Iraq on the 6th. And the 93 killed in Pakistan on the eighth. Or the two car bombings in Syria on the 20th and 21st.

Just because you're not paying attention doesn't mean it's not happening. 

3 minutes ago, biffer said:

So the 12 year old blowing themselves up in Turkey and killing 50 wedding guests was just my imagination then?  That's good. Same for the hundred people kidnapped and murdered in Iraq on the 6th. And the 93 killed in Pakistan on the eighth. Or the two car bombings in Syria on the 20th and 21st.

In line with sbcmfc - i think he is meaning in Europe and the West in general 

7 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

In line with sbcmfc - i think he is meaning in Europe and the West in general 

Algerian man who attacked two police officers with a machete in in Charleroi,  August 6. 

And your post seems to be the first time anyone's mentioned Europe and the West. 

Edited by biffer

It's probably a perception thing rather than an actual connection. If you divide incidents up according to level of devastation & divide them over any given period of time you can probably say that on any given day there is a certain (purely statistical) probability that something will happen & the days straddling big events probably don't especially buck that trend.

In terms of non-US/European though, they won't knock the Olympics/WC/whatever off the front page unless massively catastrophic I'd guess.

1 hour ago, biffer said:

Algerian man who attacked two police officers with a machete in in Charleroi,  August 6. 

And your post seems to be the first time anyone's mentioned Europe and the West. 

Whit ?

Are we no allowed to presume now ?

Dont think he is talking about small isolated incidents either

Edited by Ally Bongo

10 hours ago, OLAS said:

Why don't they ever happen when big events such as the World Cup,  Olympics or any other major event is happening?    And not necessarily sports. 

The Bastille Day bombings happened on Bastille Day.

The 1996 Manchester Bombing happened during Euro 96, and there was one at the Atlantic Olympics the same year.

1972 Munich Olympics?

I suppose in recent years, security is so ramped up and there is an air of fear and expectation build up, that the terrorists think job done. Better keeping your suicide bombers alive to reap havoc on just a normal Friday night in a European city somewhere.

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Whit ?

Are we no allowed to presume now ?

Dont think he is talking about small isolated incidents either

Well, if it's not small isolated incidents, then there isn't one every month. There have been four large incidents in the last two years in Europe (Charlie Hebdo, Paris, Brussels, Nice). So one month without one is indicative of absolutely nothing.

Edited by biffer

31 minutes ago, biffer said:

Well, if it's not small isolated incidents, then there isn't one every month. There have been four large incidents in the last two years in Europe (Charlie Hebdo, Paris, Brussels, Nice). So one month without one is indicative of absolutely nothing.

Aye

But after reflection i dont thinks thats what he is meaning

Im keeping my neb out until he specifies further

I think sadly it's an when" and not "if".

Remember during that awful night in Paris there was an explosion nearby that could be heard on TV during a France v Germany friendly match. And other incidents already highlighted. The security on these major events is also massive - perhaps many potential perps see this as too much of a deterrant to them carrying out their attack successfully?  

On 23/08/2016 at 2:01 PM, ParisInAKilt said:

Maybe the opening post was referring to false flag attacks? 

I was kind of leaning towards that, hence the mention of Scotty, but also the conditioning by the media many consume.   If there was any government conceived false flag,  it wouldn't surprise me if the media were also involved. 

On 23/08/2016 at 0:21 AM, biffer said:

I am paying attention - more than ever.   I hadn't heard of all those atrocities - even via multiple news sources - mostly UK based, but often Maltese that pretty much have local news then report whatever happens in the UK and Italy. 

On 23/08/2016 at 4:02 PM, phart said:

Don't worry Turkey is in the process of leaving NATO and joining up with Russia. We'll get plenty of interesting shit soon.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Russia are behind a lot of shit that goes down in the world and they're very good at hiding it whilst blatantly refusing to accept any blame.

3 hours ago, OLAS said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that Russia are behind a lot of shit that goes down in the world and they're very good at hiding it whilst blatantly refusing to accept any blame.

How well the Western media works mate

You could replace Russia with the USA and that statement would be more accurate

Putin is the classic bogey man

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-29/dal-santo-the-real-vladimir-putin/6890310

A good example is that there have been more nuclear warheads built under Obama's administration than any other post cold war US President

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_August_2016

to be fair, if you reported every one there'd be nothing else on the news.

However, I struggle to believe that anyone following a few news sources missed the 12 year old blowing themselves up. That was covered extensively.

Edited by biffer

4 hours ago, jailender said:

This story about the 12 year old has been refuted by the Turkish government in the last couple of days.

Yeah, it's not clear who carried it out. But the 12 year old angle was heavily covered in the UK media at the time and it doesn't change the point that it was difficult to miss for anyone paying attention to the news.