Police Scotland allow Hijab to be worn - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Police Scotland allow Hijab to be worn

It's progressive and really great to see.

I think it's really great to see that Police Scotland will be going out their way to recruit 650 ethnic minority candidates to make up for the 4 per cent of Scottish society that is an ethnic minority. 

The only people who think ill of blindly employing people on the basis of their ethnicity to meet quota demands are archaic fools who should be placed in stocks and pelted with kiwi fruit, lychees and pomegranates.

I just don't think that these really great to see progressive proposals go far enough though. 

The midget population are completely unrepresented within the Police.

We urgently need to see 800 midgets employed by Police Scotland.

Really great to see progressive Police Scotland policy would be seeing a front line composed solely of a hundred sub four-foot-tenners in riot gear holding legions of blood thirsty rival fans apart next time there's an Old Firm game.

And what about people with full blown AIDS? Edinburgh is full of people with full blown AIDS. Police Scotland need to forget about crime and focus on hiring 900 people with full blown AIDS working as bobbies on the beat. That would be progressive and really great to see.

Massive difference between a hijab and a burka.

Burka's are a disgrace.  On balance, some social norms are bad and should - as difficult as it is to call it out - be cast aside.  It's so easy to be piously "live and let live" but on this issue society needs to make a break collectively.  Those saying it's their choice..utter bollocks.  It's blatantly unprogressive and backward for someone to be made to feel, even want to, cover their whole bodies and face like that.  Blatantly a sexist interpretation and not one I want to see in this country.  What you do about it though, I don't know.  Banning clothing seems extreme.

Hijab is completely different in my view. Good on Police Scotland.

Next time I'm stopped and told to take down my hoodie, I might politely refuse and remind the officer of this positive step, possibly claiming to be a Jedi wizard or something if you have to be superstitious to get away with this sort of preposterous garb.

That said, I haven't been stopped for years and rarely wear a hoodie.  I suppose certain headgear might help some people feel more comfortable coming forward to discuss certain things like, oh, I dunno, forced marriage, domestic abuse, human slavery, lightsaber theft or paedophilia, so I guess it should be seen as a positive in that light.