Scotland's Game - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland's Game

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another chance to reminisce about "better" days

Nobody reminisces better than the Scots

This will also be Archie's carriage clock for his referendum "intervention"

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Another chance to reminisce about "better" days

Nobody reminisces better than the Scots

This will also be Archie's carriage clock for his referendum "intervention"

Given that it only focuses from 1986 onwards the better days won't take up much time I'd expect.

To be fair to Archie I think he'd have featured in it no matter what side he supported in the referendum.

11 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Given that it only focuses from 1986 onwards the better days won't take up much time I'd expect.

To be fair to Archie I think he'd have featured in it no matter what side he supported in the referendum.

Nobody appreciates sensible responses these days

52 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

That was the beginning of a quick end to competitive football in scotland.

From the hundreds of adverts and clips I've seen, it look as if it's just going to be nostalgic pish with no real in depth analysis of how we ended up where we are or how we resolve the problems we face.

File under self indulgent, teary eyed shite.

59 minutes ago, Mox said:

From the hundreds of adverts and clips I've seen, it look as if it's just going to be nostalgic pish with no real in depth analysis of how we ended up where we are or how we resolve the problems we face.

File under self indulgent, teary eyed shite.

I'm the same. Never understood why people go in for all this "let's look back at failure and glorify it" pish.

The original Only A Game was a masterpiece. A celebration of the game up to 1985 where we could generally hold our head up regarding our achievements in the game.

Nothing much to crow about since then to be fair. It will be full of nostalgic "we wuz robbed" rot with rockets like Cosgrove talking pish.

1 hour ago, Mitre said:

It will be full of nostalgic "we wuz robbed" rot with rockets like Cosgrove talking pish.

He is one of the very few broadcasters to tell it like it is. For example, he was never afraid to rip into the David Murray/Graeme Souness time which has to take a massive whack of the blame for our game going down the pan.

Interesting programme. 

The start of the decline in Scottish football laid bare. 

Money, greed, arrogance, short-sightedness, constant bawbaggery of the highest order, press connivance.

The only person in that hour who came out with any credit is Fergus McCann. 

14 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Interesting programme. 

The start of the decline in Scottish football laid bare. 

Money, greed, arrogance, short-sightedness, constant bawbaggery of the highest order, press connivance.

The only person in that hour who came out with any credit is Fergus McCann. 

I concur with all the above..

8 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Those clips from the Rangers dressing room...

It said they were previously unseen but i remember watching it live on Grandstand.

Anyway I thought it was a good watch, decent contributors, some interesting old clips and memories. I'd forgotten about that daft Hibs shares advert :-)) 

The newspaper clippings zipping about the screen was annoying as feck though...

I thought it was okay, wish they spent a bit more time on the Wallace Mercer takeover of Hibs and the Dundee/Dundee Utd Merger.

As to Only A Game, I was too young to see it first time around but I spotted this during some googling 

http://www.robroyfilms.co.uk/tv/only-a-game-the-story-of-scottish-football-bbc-1986/

Was horrendous to see marauding football supporters invade the pitch at the end of the game where their club had won a trophy for the first time in a long while and then tear down the goalposts.

Well done to the Dons fans for showing great restraint in not coming on the pitch to protect their players.

41 minutes ago, giblet said:

Was horrendous to see marauding football supporters invade the pitch at the end of the game where their club had won a trophy for the first time in a long while and then tear down the goalposts.

Well done to the Dons fans for showing great restraint in not coming on the pitch to protect their players.

Ha that thought did cross my mind!