Scotland's Game - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland's Game

17 minutes ago, dan cake said:

it clashed with the premiership years 

glad to hear it was pish

did anybody really expect anything different tho

I didn't think it was pish.

There was nothing new in there for anyone older than 45, but it did show (in relatively simple terms) the point in which our game imploded and the actions of greed and self-interest from which it's never really recovered.

David Duff, Wallace Mercer, David Murray et al....all dickheads of the highest order. Thatcher's children. Even Graeme Souness came across as being proud of his part in destroying our game as we knew it.

It struck me as to how easily it was/is to lead your average football supporter down a path to a point that they know is going to lead to disaster......especially when you have a fawning press backing up your every move.

I'm looking forward to Romanov appearing.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Rossy said:

I didn't think it was pish.

There was nothing new in there for anyone older than 45, but it did show (in relatively simple terms) the point in which our game imploded and the actions of greed and self-interest from which it's never really recovered.

David Duff, Wallace Mercer, David Murray et al....all dickheads of the highest order. Thatcher's children. Even Graeme Souness came across as being proud of his part in destroying our game as we knew it.

It struck me as to how easily it was/is to lead your average football supporter down a path to a point that they know is going to lead to disaster......especially when you have a fawning press backing up your every move.

I'm looking forward to Romanov appearing.

Agreed, i thought it was pretty well put together and it certainly had me and my mates talking in our bus WhatsApp (Most of us 28-35) so it was slightly before our time some of it. 

1 minute ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Looks even more mental in the wake of Craig White.

The thing with Craig White is that you always felt there would eventually be someone to come along and Bail the Blue noses out.

In the era of Fergus he was the last resort and the banks would have been only to happy to pull the plug .

10 minutes ago, wellyman said:

I could never get my head round him getting so much stick  ?  

Think it was glossed over a bit that one..... yes he was notoriously prudent compared to Murray, but wasn't the summer of 1998 a bit of a shambles for Celtic? Won their first title in a decade and Wim Jasen had quit within hours, then they stalled on appointing a new manager and ended up appointing a relatively unknown Eastern European and had not signed a player all summer. while Rangers had signed VERY big and was clear that they would have the league wrapped up pretty fast that following season.

8 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Think it was glossed over a bit that one..... yes he was notoriously prudent compared to Murray, but wasn't the summer of 1998 a bit of a shambles for Celtic? Won their first title in a decade and Wim Jasen had quit within hours, then they stalled on appointing a new manager and ended up appointing a relatively unknown Eastern European and had not signed a player all summer. while Rangers had signed VERY big and was clear that they would have the league wrapped up pretty fast that following season.

I think the point of Rangers signing "big" was made towards the end of the programme last night,  That may well have started the Murray comment of  - 

"If Celtic spend £5 we will spend £10"   -  as much as to say we will have the league back at all costs !!  -  and as they say the rest is history !!

McCann has received a lot of credit retrospectively and rightly so. But, he also made his mistakes. He treated Tommy Burns diabolically and the appointments of Jock Brown as director of football and Jo Venglos and Lou Macari were disastrous. It's a pity he didn't stay on a bit longer though as his next target was the reform of the SFA, something that might have stood the game as a whole in good stead.

Really enjoyed it.  Was desperately trying to see myself in those pics of Jim McLean at Dens when we won the league, and then Luggy signing autographs out the back of the stand.  I got the programme autographed by the whole league winning team that day, and do you think I can find it now?

23 minutes ago, wellyman said:

I think the point of Rangers signing "big" was made towards the end of the programme last night,  That may well have started the Murray comment of  - 

"If Celtic spend £5 we will spend £10"   -  as much as to say we will have the league back at all costs !!  -  and as they say the rest is history !!

Yeah, they did seem to rush through the summer of 1998 and Rangers hourly big signing period when Advocaat arrived.

From what I recall (and what Slasher said) I think it was something that had been bubbling away throughout the mid 90's when Celtic where not making the progress that the fans had hoped for.... Tommy Burns had got Celtic playing good football (domestically) and they were really unlucky in season 95-96 to miss out on the league by a couple of points.... with 1996-97 the make or break season to stop Rangers equaling 9-in-a-row, with some pretty impressive signing, but ultimately their season fizzled out about a 1/3 of the way through the season, with the fans pointing the finger at McCann for that happening and his treatment of Burns being the last straw.

56 minutes ago, slasher said:

McCann has received a lot of credit retrospectively and rightly so. But, he also made his mistakes. He treated Tommy Burns diabolically and the appointments of Jock Brown as director of football and Jo Venglos and Lou Macari were disastrous.

McCann inherited Macari did he not?

Jock Brown was always going to be a deflector shield for Fergus. I mind him on the radio trying to justify replacing Di Canio with Regi Blinker :-)) 

Dr Jo wasn't a great appointment but at least you got Lubo out of it...

1 hour ago, adamntg said:

Really enjoyed it.  Was desperately trying to see myself in those pics of Jim McLean at Dens when we won the league, and then Luggy signing autographs out the back of the stand.  I got the programme autographed by the whole league winning team that day, and do you think I can find it now?

I am somewhere behind Jim when he is on their shoulders, in the main stand enclosure. Great days.

Aye you're right about Macari. I suppose it didn't take him long to get rid. I think his handling of the 3 amigos would have been better received at the time if he'd some decent PR in his corner......Jock Brown was a disaster in that respect.

Edited by slasher

22 hours ago, Mitre said:

The original Only A Game was a masterpiece. A celebration of the game up to 1985 where we could generally hold our head up regarding our achievements in the game.

Nothing much to crow about since then to be fair. It will be full of nostalgic "we wuz robbed" rot with rockets like Cosgrove talking pish.

Actually was very good and a real decent watch.

Was expecting Rangers to get an utter hammering but it was actually very balanced considering the majority of the pundits in it.

Looking forward to the next episode. I take it the national team part will be for about 15 minutes at the end of the last episode...

55 minutes ago, Mitre said:

Actually was very good and a real decent watch.

Was expecting Rangers to get an utter hammering but it was actually very balanced considering the majority of the pundits in it.

Looking forward to the next episode. I take it the national team part will be for about 15 minutes at the end of the last episode...

They did make Murray look like the egotistical dick that everyone outside Rangers always knew he was.

I'm glad that Spiers had the cajones to admit that Murray excelled in manipulating a fawning media. I doubt if the likes of Traynor would ever have the courage to admit the truth.

11 minutes ago, Rossy said:

They did make Murray look like the egotistical dick that everyone outside Rangers always knew he was.

I'm glad that Spiers had the cajones to admit that Murray excelled in manipulating a fawning media. I doubt if the likes of Traynor would ever have the courage to admit the truth.

And nothing has really changed in respect of the media and the Huns.

10 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Agree Rossy.  I must admit I put my hands up and if you were a gers fan at that time they were glory days.  Hindsight is great. You telling me if a billionare took over your team tomorrow and wanted to sign messi et al that you wouldn't welcome it?  Murray did that with rangers and we all loved it.  What fan wouldn't?  (Dundee?)  As I say, hindsight is wonderful but at the time we are all fans and want more.  The beautiful game.  Programme was very good last night.

Rangers were humiliated in their own eyes after years of being pish in the 80's. They just went mental at that point and decided to use the 'blue pound' to buy the league after that point. This is what destroyed them and the Scottish league as the SFA are spineless rangers yes men who just went along with it. 

There is something about being told over and over how Scottish football would die without Rangers. The truth is as we have seen Scottish football's best chance of survival is when Rangers are dead. Now we are back to the worst of the old days and they have that head of humiliated steam up again that means they will be going mental for another decade at least. About the only upside I can see is that Dave King is a money grabber and so this will limit their spendy mentalness. 

The SFA like the scottish media / press are seemingly not motivated by making a success of their business. They seem to have another agenda all together that supersedes profit and market share and other metrics of business success. They don't want to see us do well. It is pretty obvious no.

6 minutes ago, thplinth said:

There is something about being told over and over how Scottish football would die without Rangers. The truth is as we have seen Scottish football's best chance of survival is when Rangers are dead. Now we are back to the worst of the old days and they have that head of humiliated steam up again that means they will be going mental for another decade at least. About the only upside I can see is that Dave King is a money grabber and so this will limit their spendy mentalness. 

The SFA like the scottish media / press are seemingly not motivated by making a success of their business. They seem to have another agenda all together that supersedes profit and market share and other metrics of business success. They don't want to see us do well. It is pretty obvious no.

They'll be going mental in what way?