Scotland's Game - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland's Game

On 8/26/2016 at 8:18 PM, thplinth said:

Aye. Meaning 7/2 is too high. It is a two horse race FFS.

Rangers are pure rangers ragin and motivated to win like Chris Froome* injecting russian dope.

Every game is a come back tour of fuhk you for at least the first loop. Brendan could slip under immense pressure and little money and the wheels could come off... Joey Barton's team of slapstick nutters could start bullying out win after win after win... you've seen the movie.

*joke

Aye ok. I bet 100 pounds (sorry can't find the pounds symbol :lol:).

All winnings to the sunshine appeal of course. 

I'll have whatever you are smoking, Celtic will breeze the league and i'd be surprised if Rangers finish 2nd. 

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'll have whatever you are smoking, Celtic will breeze the league and i'd be surprised if Rangers finish 2nd. 

Apart from the delusional faction, most Rangers fans would take second in a flash at the moment. 

There seems to be a myth going around that Rangers have a sense of entitlement that we should win the league this year. From those I've spoken to, very, very few expect us to and indeed, I haven't read a single one on here who thinks we will.

10 minutes ago, thewolf_1980 said:

There seems to be a myth going around that Rangers have a sense of entitlement that we should win the league this year.

To be fair, the only person saying Rangers could win the league is Thplinth. 

Just now, vanderark14 said:

The Rangers fans I know don't agree, they see 3rd and 4th as acceptable. 

Fair enough. The ones I've spoken to expect us to finish 2nd. I do too.

I suppose it reinforces the point that virtually no Rangers fan expects us to actually win the thing and it appears that most who are tipping us to do so, aren't actually Rangers fans themselves.

2 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

Fair enough. The ones I've spoken to expect us to finish 2nd. I do too.

I suppose it reinforces the point that virtually no Rangers fan expects us to actually win the thing and it appears that most who are tipping us to do so, aren't actually Rangers fans themselves.

Must be a lot of non Rangers fans on Rangers Media/Follow Follow going by what i read prior to our game on Friday!

How can you have a show about the financial collapse of Scottish football and make no mention of the administration of the club who were bankrolled by the crook whose signature was on Bank of Scotland banknotes and who got 13 million quids worth of taxpayer bailout?

This show is a bag of badly researched pish. Last week it was claiming that the Taylor Report was legally binding in Scotland. 

The whole sectarianism and bullets to Lennon issue should have and could easily been done in a separate episode. 

If you were to do an hour long show about Scottish football being overrun by Sky, Setanta TV cash and aping the English game in terms of unsustainable spending, why shoot off on a non sequitur tangent about sectarianism and ignore a story that (while not comparable in stature with the death of Rangers) was on a par with Dundee and Motherwell's debt and related to Rangers' BOS criminal expenditure/ institutional corruption and tax payer footing the bill; and had a fan ownership outcome that has been more complete than any of the other Premiership clubs who went in to administration?

I was a bit pissed off at the guy who was talking about Sky and English/Scottish football. Saying that the SPL were saying that if English football was getting paid X then they should be paid that too (or something similar). He said that opinion was wrong and that the two weren't comparable.

He then made a comment along the lines of people in Scotland watch English football but the same couldn't necessarily be said for English people and Scottish football. This is probably true but ignores the fact that had Sky proportianately invested in Scottish football from the outset, this may not have been the case.

My issue is that until Sky started pumping money into English football, the gulf between the two leagues wasn't massive and that the reason we are so far apart now is a severe lack of investment from TV into the Scottish game. So maybe if Sky had started putting a proportionate amount of money into Scottish football in the first place, the quality would be higher, more people would want to watch it and it would become a product that would be "worth" (In sky's eyes anyway) continued and increasing investment.

When he was interviewed again it noted that he was a Sky employee at the time, so it made a lot of sense.

7 hours ago, brant grebner said:

How can you have a show about the financial collapse of Scottish football and make no mention of the administration of the club who were bankrolled by the crook whose signature was on Bank of Scotland banknotes and who got 13 million quids worth of taxpayer bailout?

Tbh an almost unlimited amount of financial cluster####ery could have featured from all manner of clubs. The Rangers saga would easily have filled the entire 4 hour series.

I thought the examples chosen gave a reasonable snapshot of the problems for the uninitiated.

Sponsors, tv, other will pay what the market price is.  Sky would give more money if the demand was there.  You cannot blame them.  SPL TV and Roger Mitchell has been mocked but it seems a good idea to me especially with channels like Netflix where streaming is a major "disruptor" in the broadcasting model.  Power of packaged services from providers like Sky and Virgin is being weakened with Netflix, Amazon, NowTV etc.  In theory it could still be done with all Scottish football including internationals and then sold on to other providers.  Is it financially viable in present day though?

Cosgrove will be muttering Gretna on his deathbed.  I agree (with hindsight) on his views and thank goodness they did not win the Scottish Cup.  That would have been awful to them inscribed on the oldest trophy in football.  Men like Geoff Brown at St Johnstone and Stewart Milne at Aberdeen should be praised for keeping their clubs sane.  They should have flagged more clubs in depth who also went bust.  The more I hear Anne Budge speak the more I want her to have a bigger say.  Professional. Sensible.  Calm.  Similar to Fergus McCann who had an excellent interview on BBC Sportsound a few days back on podcast.  Value for money and questioning if it is a good deal was his mantra.  He went in with a 5 year plan and left with a good profit and fantastic results for Celtic in terms of stadium, finances and team.

Edited by Alan