Draw for 2020 qualifiers. - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Draw for 2020 qualifiers.

bonny78

1 hour ago, Langtonian said:

Correct me if I,m wrong but this competition is to replace friendlies

Yes but it is a competitive league with an overall winner (from the top league) and has 4 UEFA Euro 2020 qualifying places available  (one for each league).

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, tartanpar said:

Yes but it is a competitive league with an overall winner (from the top league) and has 4 UEFA Euro 2020 qualifying places available  (one for each league).

Yeah,knew it was a competitive league and what was at stake.Much better than playing friendlies

20 hours ago, tartanpar said:

As posted above, the UEFA Nations League will come before the Euro qualifiers:

Six match days - Sep, Oct & Nov 2018. With the Final Four for the teams who win the top group (that cant be us) in June 2019.

The play off matches (from Nations League) will place in March 2020 (yes 16 months after the group games).

The UEFA EURO 2020 qualifying draw will be held after the completion of the UEFA Nations League (so after November 2018) and allow for the four UEFA Nations League Final Four participants to be drawn into groups of five teams

The European Qualifiers for UEFA EURO 2020 commence in March 2019. There will be two matchdays in each of March, June, September, October and November 2019.

So, let me get this right? The winners of the 4 pools in Div A, (of the Nations League) go on to  play in the qualifiers for Euro 2020 even though they have already qualified? I must be getting mixed up. That can't be right. Is it?

15 hours ago, tartanpar said:

If the Leagues stay the same one of Estonia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Latvia, Moldova, Macedonia, Kazakhstan, Luxembourg, Faroe Islands, Liechtenstein, Malta, Kosovo, San Marino, Andorra or Gibraltar are guaranteed to qualify. My bet would be Kosovo.

Are you sure about that? 

I thought that the top league  ( league A) is split into 4 pools (of 3 teams each) and it was the winners of each of those pools that qualify for Euro 2020? Which would give the top teams two goes at qualifying.  I'm probably wrong though? It does look interesting right enough. Interesting and a bit mental at the same time.

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

So, let me get this right? The winners of the 4 pools in Div A, (of the Nations League) go on to  play in the qualifiers for Euro 2020 even though they have already qualified? I must be getting mixed up. That can't be right. Is it?

No that is not correct.

No one will qualify from the Nations League until after the Euro qualifiers are over.

The winners of the 4 pools in League A do not qualify, Only 1 team from each League qualify via the semi final and finals and they are after the euro qualifiers. If you win your pool and then go on to qualify via the Euro qualifiers your spot in the play offs will go to the next team that hasnt qualified.

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Are you sure about that? 

I thought that the top league  ( league A) is split into 4 pools (of 3 teams each) and it was the winners of each of those pools that qualify for Euro 2020? Which would give the top teams two goes at qualifying.  I'm probably wrong though? It does look interesting right enough. Interesting and a bit mental at the same time.

Yes 100%

Each league has 1 qualification spot for Euro 2020 (League not pool). So 1 team from League A (the top seeds), 1 from League B (the second top seeds), 1 from League 3 (the league we will be in and third seeds) and finally 1 from League D (the weakest seeds.

3 hours ago, tartanpar said:

This graphic will expalin it better than I can. Note that Kosovo has joined UEFA since this was produced so League C will have 1 group of 3 and 3 groups of 4.

2082046_w3.jpg

It's very feasible that one (or more) of the groups in League A will contain three teams who qualify for Euro 2020 via the 2019 qualifiers. Maybe even all twelve will have already qualified. 

Possibly even in league B there might be a group where all teams qualify via 2019 qualifiers.

What happens to their playoff places then?

Also if its a competitive league with an overall winner/champion and teams already qualified via the 2019 qualifiers don't go into the playoffs with their playoff spots going to the next ranked team then the likes of Germany, Spain, Italy, etc who you'd expect to qualify would be denied the opportunity of winning the league. In fact anyone qualifying via the 2019 qualifiers cannot win the Nations League as their playoff places go to someone else due to them already having qualified.

Finally, are the overall league winners called European champions? And in couple of months do we then have new European champions courtesy of Euro 2020?

Am I missing something here?

4 hours ago, tartanpar said:

This graphic will expalin it better than I can. Note that Kosovo has joined UEFA since this was produced so League C will have 1 group of 3 and 3 groups of 4.

2082046_w3.jpg

Ok that's starting to make more sense now. Thanks. It's all a bit mental though. Must have been dreamt up by a psychopath. 

2 hours ago, DaveyDenoon said:

It's very feasible that one (or more) of the groups in League A will contain three teams who qualify for Euro 2020 via the 2019 qualifiers. Maybe even all twelve will have already qualified. 

Possibly even in league B there might be a group where all teams qualify via 2019 qualifiers.

Also if its a competitive league with an overall winner/champion and teams already qualified via the 2019 qualifiers don't go into the playoffs with their playoff spots going to the next ranked team then the likes of Germany, Spain, Italy, etc who you'd expect to qualify would be denied the opportunity of winning the league. In fact anyone qualifying via the 2019 qualifiers cannot win the Nations League as their playoff places go to someone else due to them already having qualified.

Finally, are the overall league winners called European champions? And in couple of months do we then have new European champions courtesy of Euro 2020?

Am I missing something here?

If a team has already qualified it moves down the group/league until the find a team who hasnt qualified to play in the play offs.

The "Final Four" final in League A is not a Euro play off, that is the semi final and final of the UEFA Nations League so they can crown a winner and takes place in June 2019 (the play offs are March 2020).

There is also promotion and relegation (this tournament takes place every 2 years). So if we win our group within League C we will get promoted to league B for the next league 2 years later. The graphic below explains it.

The winners will be called the UEFA Nations League Champions. Suppose it is like winning the League and Cup, you can have different winners.

2082037_w2.jpg

Cheers tartanpar.

I take it the second time the Nations League takes place, in 2020/21, there won't be any Euro qualifying spot incentive? So, it might be worth while getting relegated (Scotland might manage to do that without trying right enough) to increase your chances of qualifying for Euro 2024. I know the main route for qualification for Euro 2024 will still be through the qualifying groups, but I've pretty much given up hope of Scotland qualifying through the normal route in my lifetime. :lol:

Edited by Orraloon

7 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Cheers tartanpar.

I take it the second time the Nations League takes place, in 2020/21, there won't be any Euro qualifying spot incentive? So, it might be worth while getting relegated (Scotland might manage to do that without trying right enough) to increase your chances of qualifying for Euro 2024. I know the main route for qualification for Euro 2024 will still be through the qualifying groups, but I've pretty much given up hope of Scotland qualifying through the normal route in my lifetime. :lol:

The Nations League takes place every 2 years. It has not been decided yet if WC qualification places will be given but it is unlkely.

On 26/08/2016 at 10:19 PM, DaveyDenoon said:

It seems that the available place cascades down the groups and leagues until it finds the next unqualified team.  That means we want the worst league draw possible, because if the team(s) above us go on to qualify through the normal process then we'll get a semi final place by default. 

Ahh default - the two sweetest words in the English language.

13 hours ago, GlasWolf said:

It seems that the available place cascades down the groups and leagues until it finds the next unqualified team.  That means we want the worst league draw possible, because if the team(s) above us go on to qualify through the normal process then we'll get a semi final place by default. 

Ahh default - the two sweetest words in the English language.

We will be in League C. I doubt there will be many teams in our league who will qualify automatically, especially since only the top 2 qualify from the groups (rather than 3rd also in a play off).

51 minutes ago, tartanpar said:

We will be in League C. I doubt there will be many teams in our league who will qualify automatically, especially since only the top 2 qualify from the groups (rather than 3rd also in a play off).

True but there will probably be one or two nonetheless, and we're far better at getting nightmare draws than we are at winning football matches.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is how the groups are ordered within each league.  If it's just the luck of the draw then it seems bizarre that the teams in group B1 are almost certain to get a cascaded playoff place if they haven't qualified, but group B4 much less likely.  Having said that, the UEFA description talks about global rankings:

"If any winners are already qualified through the European Qualifiers, then their play-off position will be allocated to the next best ranked team of the league in question, taking into account the global ranking within the league, then if necessary to the following league in decreasing order taking into consideration the global ranking of the relevant league."

Edited by GlasWolf

47 minutes ago, tartanpar said:

If we assume say 11 out of the League A teams directly via the groups and only one doesn't. Will the top 4 unqualified teams in League B play for the League B play off spot then the the unqualified League A team playoff against the next 3 best teams?

There is a good chance that most teams ( maybe 20 of them?) in Leagues A and B will have qualified through the group stages, so there could be a lot of play off spots for League C teams. Or am I getting it wrong again. :lol: 

6 hours ago, GlasWolf said:

True but there will probably be one or two nonetheless, and we're far better at getting nightmare draws than we are at winning football matches.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is how the groups are ordered within each league.  If it's just the luck of the draw then it seems bizarre that the teams in group B1 are almost certain to get a cascaded playoff place if they haven't qualified, but group B4 much less likely.  Having said that, the UEFA description talks about global rankings:

"If any winners are already qualified through the European Qualifiers, then their play-off position will be allocated to the next best ranked team of the league in question, taking into account the global ranking within the league, then if necessary to the following league in decreasing order taking into consideration the global ranking of the relevant league."

UEFA will use the UEFA national team rankings to decide the leagues and then groups. In League C there will be 15 teams (1 group of 3 and 3 groups of 4) so within the league each team will be ranked in order so each of the top 4 teams will go into different group and so on (so the top teams within the leagues wont play each other).

As mentioned above most of the teams in League A will probably qualify directly through the qualifiers so their play off places will move down until they find a team who hasn't qualified. The rankings are very important.