Draw for 2020 qualifiers. - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Draw for 2020 qualifiers.

bonny78

6 hours ago, Orraloon said:

If we assume say 11 out of the League A teams directly via the groups and only one doesn't. Will the top 4 unqualified teams in League B play for the League B play off spot then the the unqualified League A team playoff against the next 3 best teams?

There is a good chance that most teams ( maybe 20 of them?) in Leagues A and B will have qualified through the group stages, so there could be a lot of play off spots for League C teams. Or am I getting it wrong again. :lol: 

I am not sure about that, UEFA havent explained every scenario.

The biggest headache will be the play offs - it is a one off semi final and final played in two dates in March (Thu/Sun, Fri/Mon or Sat/Tue). The team that plays at home are the highest ranked teams but we obviously wont know who you will play in the final until after the semi. So we could have an away game on the Friday and if we win play another away game 3 days later and not know where until after the semi final. 3 days notice is far from idea to plan a trip.

Lets say the 4 teams in the semi finals are: Albania, Slovenia, Norway and Scotland.

Going on the current rankings the semi finals would be Albania v Scotland and Slovenia v Norway.

As Albania are the highest seed if they beat Scotland the final would be played in Albania but if Scotland won the final would be played at the home ground of either Slovenia or Norway (depending on the other winner). Imagine being in Albania on the Friday and having to plan your trip either home if we lose or on to Slovenia or Norway if we win....total nightmare for away fans.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is how UEFA have explained the semi final and final of the play offs.

"In the semi-finals, the best-ranked team will play the fourth best-ranked team and the second best-ranked team will play the third best-ranked team. The highest-ranked teams will play the semi-final at home, whereas the venue for the final will be drawn in advance between the two semi-finals’ winners."

55 minutes ago, tartanpar said:

UEFA will use the UEFA national team rankings to decide the leagues and then groups. In League C there will be 15 teams (1 group of 3 and 3 groups of 4) so within the league each team will be ranked in order so each of the top 4 teams will go into different group and so on (so the top teams within the leagues wont play each other).

So are you saying that there will be no draw, and B1 will contain rankings 13, 17 and 21, B2 will contain 14, 18 and 22 and so on?  If so, it's hugely advantageous to be 21st (B1 - nailed-on play off place) rather than 20th (B4 - much less certain).  The Football Rankings site uses "pots" terminology, so I assumed it was a draw.

Thanks for the info, btw!

1 minute ago, GlasWolf said:

So are you saying that there will be no draw, and B1 will contain rankings 13, 17 and 21, B2 will contain 14, 18 and 22 and so on?  If so, it's hugely advantageous to be 21st (B1 - nailed-on play off place) rather than 20th (B4 - much less certain).  The Football Rankings site uses "pots" terminology, so I assumed it was a draw.

Thanks for the info, btw!

Yes there will be a draw but it will be seeded. So the top 4 teams in league C will not face each other and so on.

Just now, tartanpar said:

Yes there will be a draw but it will be seeded. So the top 4 teams in league C will not face each other and so on.

I get that, I'm just trying to work out if the group numbers (1-4) are simply "as drawn", or if the top seeds are allocated to the groups in order then the remaining pots drawn.  Or something else.

Anyway, basically we want to be drawn in group 1, so we'll end up in group 4...

1 minute ago, GlasWolf said:

I get that, I'm just trying to work out if the group numbers (1-4) are simply "as drawn", or if the top seeds are allocated to the groups in order then the remaining pots drawn.  Or something else.

Anyway, basically we want to be drawn in group 1, so we'll end up in group 4...

I am not sure how that would work.

Looking at the UEFA Graphic group 1 will have 3 teams and group 2, 3 and 4 will have 4 (the graphic was produced before Kosovo were in UEFA). Like you I would rather be in the groups of 4 rather than the group of 3.

2082046_w3.jpg

12 of the playoff spots will be available to teams in Leagues A, B and C. If we assume that all 20 of the group qualifiers are also in Leagues A,B and C, then as long as Scotland can be one of the top 8 ranked teams in League C they should get at least a play off spot. The rankings are gong to be very important. 

35 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

12 of the playoff spots will be available to teams in Leagues A, B and C. If we assume that all 20 of the group qualifiers are also in Leagues A,B and C, then as long as Scotland can be one of the top 8 ranked teams in League C they should get at least a play off spot. The rankings are gong to be very important. 

That's a good point! A good 2018 qualifying campaign will help with that!

"As the host cities were appointed by UEFA in September 2014, before the qualifiers of UEFA Euro 2020, it is possible for the national teams from the host cities to fail to qualify for the finals tournament."

That would be a proper kick in the...

2 hours ago, Radian said:

If we were to qualify would we play our games at Hampden?.....that would be pretty sh1t tbh

I dunno, we might actually get out our group for once!

From Wikipedia the following 12 cities are hosting the groups. So I'm guessing 2 stadiums per group, 3 games in each....

Munich,  Baku, St. Petersburg,  Rome, Copenhagen,  Bucharest,  Amsterdam,  Dublin, Bilbao, Glasgow,  Brussels,  Budapest. 

Dunno how they're going to divvy up the groups. Geographically?  Would that mean us and Ireland sharing?

I'm guessing if both host countries then qualify the draw could get complicated.  One host will have to play a game at the other's stadium for starters...

Wouldn't feel like a proper tournament if we played all our games at Hampden.  The whole experience is going away and seeing different places but as stated before it's still better than not qualifying :) 

34 minutes ago, Radian said:

Wouldn't feel like a proper tournament if we played all our games at Hampden.  The whole experience is going away and seeing different places but as stated before it's still better than not qualifying :) 

Like we're gonna qualify

:lol:

On 31 August 2016 at 8:59 PM, Radian said:

If we'd have won the bid to host Euro 2008 it would've felt like a proper tournament.

Completely different though as every team would be here.  It's just with so many cities hosting games to get 2 out of 3 games in Hampden instead I'd rather a wee European trip i.e Copenhagen, Bucherest and Bilbao for example.   As I say though still better than not qualifying :)