Scottish Daily Newspaper Sales Down (Again) - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Daily Newspaper Sales Down (Again)

Thought some would be interested to read this.

Figures for UK "regional" daily newspapers. All in decline. 

http://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/2016/news/cuts-hit-regional-daily-newspaper-tops-abc-league/

Anyone know why the Daily Record isn't listed ?

Paisley Daily Express 4,986 -7.4
Dundee Courier 41,243 -8.5
Dundee Evening Telegraph 16,354 -9.5
Aberdeen Evening Express 27,441 -11.3
The Herald 30,402 -11.6
Edinburgh Evening News 20,235 -14.1
Glasgow Evening Times 25,679 -14.3
The Scotsman 20,304 -14.6

No wonder The Herald and The Scotsman are in such decline. The sheer amount of petty and increasingly desperate anti-independence and anti-SNP articles they both churn out is incredible.

The right-wing, ultra-unionist Tory nutcases and the deluded Labour loyalists that rant away on the "comment is free" sections (particularly those of The Scotsman) are sometimes comedy gold though.

Can't say I'll miss them when their gone ............

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, jailender said:

Any reason you omitted the P&J, which has by far the largest circulation in Scotland? What about The National, or has it not been published for long enough to get year on year figures?

Their not listed on the data released for some reason. It's the same for the Daily Record.

As far as I'm aware, The Scotsman is only kept alive by the anti-SNP clickbait stories in its online version. They attract enough ultra right-wing BritNat lunatics to keep advertisers happy. 

If they shut down the forums, the paper would collapse.

15 minutes ago, Rossy said:

As far as I'm aware, The Scotsman is only kept alive by the anti-SNP clickbait stories in its online version. They attract enough ultra right-wing BritNat lunatics to keep advertisers happy. 

They might as well just have a permanent headline from now on - "Just look at what these SNP cünts have done now !".

That's pretty much been the gist of it for the last couple of years now.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

They might as well just have a permanent headline from now on - "Just look at what these SNP cünts have done now !".

That's pretty much been the gist of it for the last couple of years now

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

That's pretty much been the gist of it for the last couple of years now.

"Just look at what these SNP cünts have done now !".

Edited by the doomed

I work in the type of place where 20 years ago the majority had a paper for their break. Folk would then swap papers for the 2nd break.
There's only 1 or 2 you see with a paper now and they'll be 50+. All the younger ones sit glued to their phone.

My dad still buys a paper daily but he openly admits it's just out of habit and part of his morning routine.

Funnily enough I had somebody chapping my door last week asking if I wanted the local paper delivered. I declined their offer and closed the door but I really wanted to ask them why they thought getting into selling newspapers was a good idea given the dwindling sales stats.

Unfortunately they still have a disproportionate influence when it comes to discussing current affairs on the TV and radio.  In England that skews everything to the right, in Scotland skews everything against independence.  The latter situation worries me should there be another vote in the next few years, not everyone relies on news from other less traditional sources.

There is a stall/seller at the start of Princes St continually trying to punt The Scotsman. About 6 months ago you were getting a "free" linen bag thing if you bought s copy. Passed last week and you were getting the bag and some Nairns oatcakes and a 3rd freebie which I can't quite remember. Can't remember seeing anyone at the stall, even with all the additional stuff trying to tempt you to buy.

6 hours ago, Rossy said:

I think all the other titles' website traffic is up which is some sort of trade-off I guess.  However, the Scotsman's web traffic is also down.  They can't be far off pulling the plug.  

11 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

There is a stall/seller at the start of Princes St continually trying to punt The Scotsman. About 6 months ago you were getting a "free" linen bag thing if you bought s copy. Passed last week and you were getting the bag and some Nairns oatcakes and a 3rd freebie which I can't quite remember. Can't remember seeing anyone at the stall, even with all the additional stuff trying to tempt you to buy.

A similar stall appeared a couple of months ago on the corner of Gordon St and Buchanan st in Glasgow, no doubt trying to entice the West Coast unionists away from their beloved Daily Mail. Good luck with that. For a start , wee canvas bags titled ' I ❤️ The Scotsman ' are way too scottish sounding. 

If anyone is indeed tempted by this once in a lifetime offer,  i suggest they turn the bag inside out to disguise the advertising,  stuff it with a sandwich and soft drink and pass to one of the many beggars in the surrounding area. They can use the newspaper itself to sleep on, or keep them warm, proving that every piece of shit does infact have a useful purpose . 

9 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Wow the P&J sells more than the Herald and the Scotsman combined. More evidence of Aberdeen's deeply parochial and insular (some might say incestuous) character. 

The P&J covers all of Northern Scotland, not just Aberdeen. 

16 hours ago, Broath Boy said:

Stopped buying the Dundee Courier months ago, too much anti SNP bile for me.

My mum stopped reading the Daily Mail a few years ago for the same reason. She moved to the Daily Record then chucked that due to the same anti SNP rhetoric, she has very little interest in politics but could clearly see the imbalanced reporting.

She now reads The Sun. I am not entirely sure this is progression. Perhaps more a 'sideways' move. I think the Paisley Daily Express saves her. 

I am nit quite sure 

Genuinely think the Herald is a fine paper.  Seems to be soft unionist.  Chimes with the Scottish people in that sense.

I'm more inclined to believe what's in the Herald than just about any other paper in Scotland.

The National is a disgrace.  Sorry but it is.  Trivialises the cause.  The Scotsman is as biased but at least has the intelligence to seem like a 'proper' newspaper.  The National is a fanzine, really disappointed in it personally.  Could have been great.  Pro independence is damn well needed but not in that form.  You simply can't buy the National without people thinking your a zealot loony.  

Literally every front page is about crowbarring in Independence/Westminster grievance/pro SNP.  There is other news in Scotland, comes across as obsessed and unable to deal with the great issues of the day.  

Edited by PapofGlencoe

18 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Genuinely think the Herald is a fine paper.  Seems to be soft unionist.  Chimes with the Scottish people in that sense.

I'm more inclined to believe what's in the Herald than just about any other paper in Scotland.

The National is a disgrace.  Sorry but it is.  Trivialises the cause.  The Scotsman is as biased but at least has the intelligence to seem like a 'proper' newspaper.  The National is a fanzine, really disappointed in it personally.  Could have been great.  Pro independence is damn well needed but not in that form.  You simply can't buy the National without people thinking your a zealot loony.  

Literally every front page is about crowbarring in Independence/Westminster grievance/pro SNP.  There is other news in Scotland, comes across as obsessed and unable to deal with the great issues of the day.  

I buy the National but do not disagree with your comments. It does go overboard with some of the headlines and the letters page is not much better than the comments in the Scotsman or Daily Mail. I buy it as it is the only paper that openly supports independence and until something better comes along it is all we have. Thankfully i can see its flaws and have not become a brainwashed nationalist because of it.  Also, once you get by the politics there are some decent articles, plus it is not filled with all the  royal family/celebrity news trivia shit that fills other papers (not the Herald) . But you are correct, people would take it more seriously if it toned down the establishment resentment. 

However, above everything else, i buy it to save my sanity cos my husband reads the Daily Mail?

I have an online subscription for the Herald, only £2.99 a month.  I subscribed because of Ian Bell and McWhirter, so if Iain pops his clogs as well I might well cancel, but leaving aside the anti-SNP bias in many articles, it's a decent newspaper.

The National is a joke of a paper.  Why can we not have something like the Herald but with a different editorial policy?  The Natinal looks and feels like a cheaply produced box ticking exercise, or a paper produced deliberately to demonstarte that there is no demand for an indy-supporting newspaper - make it so bad that nobody buys it.  Could be so much better.

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

I buy the National but do not disagree with your comments. It does go overboard with some of the headlines and the letters page is not much better than the comments in the Scotsman or Daily Mail. I buy it as it is the only paper that openly supports independence and until something better comes along it is all we have. Thankfully i can see its flaws and have not become a brainwashed nationalist because of it.  Also, once you get by the politics there are some decent articles, plus it is not filled with all the  royal family/celebrity news trivia shit that fills other papers (not the Herald) . But you are correct, people would take it more seriously if it toned down the establishment resentment. 

However, above everything else, i buy it to save my sanity cos my husband reads the Daily Mail?

Aye, it's a pity.  I'm the sort of person that actually enjoys reading a paper so I shouldn't be lost to the National but I am.

I enjoy getting the Sunday Times, for example, and there's a lot of good content - reporters can have really good in depth assignments.  Every page could be something different...in the National every single page is given to the cause either directly or indirectly...it's just boring.  I don't read the paper now but from the front page banners, it's exactly the same article that's printed daily rehashed by Lesley Riddoch'/Tasmina Sheick/Michael Gray....  I did try with the National but half the time it's just stuff you already know.  Like the first one I bought, I think there was an "in-depth profile" of a world leader.  It was bereft of any interesting facts or angles.  It was literally a list of facts you can get from Wikipedia...alongside the fact he had an honourary doctorate at Glasgow Caledonian or something (got to get the Scottish angle in at all costs zzzzz)..  just couldn't hack it.  It's not the quality, uncompromising journalism I'd like Scotland to be known for.  It's not intellectual, it's not critcal analysis, it's a joke...what are they actually doing!  No disrespect and do understand where you're coming from (a failure isn't good either) but I don't think papers should be bought simply because they hold an editorial policy.  Surely, there must be pressure from our own side to have this revamped?  

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

I have an online subscription for the Herald, only £2.99 a month.  I subscribed because of Ian Bell and McWhirter, so if Iain pops his clogs as well I might well cancel, but leaving aside the anti-SNP bias in many articles, it's a decent newspaper.

Absolutely, Ian Bell, craftsman of words in an era where few seem to still hold the skill in high regard.  Got me going and ready for the big fight.  We may have lost but we'll be back.

http://wingsoverscotland.com/if-we-had-a-hammer/comment-page-1/

Via another website.

Edited by PapofGlencoe