Public Transport App - Malta v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Public Transport App

OLAS

If anyone is going to use the bus, you need to download the tallinja application.   Saves a lot of hassle, even for us living on the island.

No matter where you are,  open the app,  click "My Next Bus" and it'll show you the closest bus stop and a list of buses coming in the next 30 minutes and their routes.  It can plan your route for you also.

https://www.publictransport.com.mt/en/tallinja-smartphone-app 

There's a bus terminal right outside the airport entrance that take you anywhere on the island, too.  

Tickets are €2 for a 2hr trip (you can use on multiple buses in that time), so if there's a group of you, it might be better getting a taxi. 

Taxis are a bit of a rip-off for the distance, especially on your lonesome.  Airport to Sliema/St.Julians is around €20 for a 15 minute journey.  €25 to St.Paul's/Bugibba/Qawra - 25 minutes.  

When travelling back to the airport,  leave plenty of time to get there.   The traffic in Malta is a nightmare at times.   I've managed it from Sliema in 10 minutes, but it has also taken over an hour before. 

1 hour ago, OLAS said:

When travelling back to the airport,  leave plenty of time to get there.   The traffic in Malta is a nightmare at times.   I've managed it from Sliema in 10 minutes, but it has also taken over an hour before. 

I can vouch for this.  In May it took about 15-20 minutes to get from the airport to St. Julians, however, that was at night. The return trip in the morning took an hour and I ended up at the airport 30 minutes before my flight left.  Fortunately I'd already checked in online, only had hand baggage and got through security quickly or I'd have been Donald Ducked.  

Gridlocked doesn't come close to describing the traffic around Valetta.  

10 hours ago, scottincarlisle said:

Is a bus from Sliema to the Splash & Water Fun Park the best option or hire a car for a few days ? 

Every bus from Sliema apart from the ones going to Pembroke and Swieqi go to the Water Park. 15 minutes tops and come every other minute. Number 15 is a good one - regular and terminate there. 

Every bus going back the way also end up in Sliema. 

If you have other bigger plans, a car may be better but the buses are quite good these days. 

10 hours ago, KENTTA said:

Olas, Do you know if there are public buses to (and from) the stadium on match day from St Pauls?

Cheers

Nothing direct. Need to stop in Mosta I think. Probably better to get a supporters bus or share a taxi as getting back after the game will be problematic. 

22 hours ago, OLAS said:

If anyone is going to use the bus, you need to download the tallinja application.   Saves a lot of hassle, even for us living on the island.

No matter where you are,  open the app,  click "My Next Bus" and it'll show you the closest bus stop and a list of buses coming in the next 30 minutes and their routes.  It can plan your route for you also.

https://www.publictransport.com.mt/en/tallinja-smartphone-app 

There's a bus terminal right outside the airport entrance that take you anywhere on the island, too.  

Tickets are €2 for a 2hr trip (you can use on multiple buses in that time), so if there's a group of you, it might be better getting a taxi. 

Taxis are a bit of a rip-off for the distance, especially on your lonesome.  Airport to Sliema/St.Julians is around €20 for a 15 minute journey.  €25 to St.Paul's/Bugibba/Qawra - 25 minutes.  

OLAS, It looks like I need to take the X2 bus from the airport to Sliema but I cant see which stop is in Sliema or where in Sliema the stops are. The website is not very clear https://www.publictransport.com.mt/en/route/X2

Any ideas?

44 minutes ago, cootsy said:

OLAS, It looks like I need to take the X2 bus from the airport to Sliema but I cant see which stop is in Sliema or where in Sliema the stops are. The website is not very clear https://www.publictransport.com.mt/en/route/X2

Any ideas?

Bus was there in may arrived airport was dark jumped on bus for about an hour we travelled nae idea where we were except going to st julians guess what went past st julians without noticing cos was dark asked someone on bus was about 3 miles back the way jumped aff bus kilts on sweating buckets case in toe walked back to St julians and then swallied about 50 pints moral of this next week we are getting a taxi