Travel options - Scottlish Islands - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Travel options - Scottlish Islands

EddardStark

Looking to visit a couple of Islands as part of a holiday to Scotland. Calmac offer a hopscotch ticket for Arran and Islay. To my eternal shame I have never been to either of the islands We are also looking for a planning a day or so in the Mull of Kintyre. Any comments would be welcome.

I've been to Arran many a time & it's well worth the visit. It's only a personal view, but the West side of the island is generally the more peaceful & enjoyable. The big hotel at Blackwaterfoot, the name of which momentarily escapes me, is good value overall. The restaurant has a lovely view over to Kintyre & there's a more traditional pub the opposite side, plus a pizza takeaway if you don't fancy the pub food.

As for Islay, I know a couple of people on here helped me with recommendations last year, so will be able to give more details than me but again is a beautiful spot. We stayed at Port Ellen near the maltings with lovely views & decent pubs nearby (I liked the Ardview Inn personally). If you like seafood (I don't but I was with some that do), Yan's Kitchen is world class.

Cutting to the chase though; let's discuss distilleries.

Arran (up near Lochranza) is very modern but interesting to have a look around & the product is top notch.

As for Islay, we managed to get on about 4 full tours but visited (& tasted) at all of them, plus Jura. Laphroaig & Ardbeg are interesting, Bunnahabhain is a bit quirky & interesting for the building & location.

15 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

I've been to Arran many a time & it's well worth the visit. It's only a personal view, but the West side of the island is generally the more peaceful & enjoyable. The big hotel at Blackwaterfoot, the name of which momentarily escapes me, is good value overall. The restaurant has a lovely view over to Kintyre & there's a more traditional pub the opposite side, plus a pizza takeaway if you don't fancy the pub food.

As for Islay, I know a couple of people on here helped me with recommendations last year, so will be able to give more details than me but again is a beautiful spot. We stayed at Port Ellen near the maltings with lovely views & decent pubs nearby (I liked the Ardview Inn personally). If you like seafood (I don't but I was with some that do), Yan's Kitchen is world class.

Cutting to the chase though; let's discuss distilleries.

Arran (up near Lochranza) is very modern but interesting to have a look around & the product is top notch.

As for Islay, we managed to get on about 4 full tours but visited (& tasted) at all of them, plus Jura. Laphroaig & Ardbeg are interesting, Bunnahabhain is a bit quirky & interesting for the building & location.

Cheers mate. Some really good pointers in there.

How long are you planning on being in Campbeltown area ?

if your a golfer there is loads of choice, Springbank distillery tour is excellent and you can pay extra for a tasting session 

Ardshiel hotel has cracking grub and was voted best whisky bar in Scotland a couple of years ago

Muneroy tearoom at Southend does the best cakes !!! 

You our can go to the mull lighthouse, you drive up single track road till you get to a gate, park the car ad wander down the hill, there is also a cairn on the hill to those who died in the Chinook helicopter crash

if your staying overnight would recommend the Grammer Lodge Guesthouse

if you need any further info let me know

On 27/08/2016 at 2:46 PM, DOUBLE A said:

How long are you planning on being in Campbeltown area ?

if your a golfer there is loads of choice, Springbank distillery tour is excellent and you can pay extra for a tasting session 

Ardshiel hotel has cracking grub and was voted best whisky bar in Scotland a couple of years ago

Muneroy tearoom at Southend does the best cakes !!! 

You our can go to the mull lighthouse, you drive up single track road till you get to a gate, park the car ad wander down the hill, there is also a cairn on the hill to those who died in the Chinook helicopter crash

if your staying overnight would recommend the Grammer Lodge Guesthouse

if you need any further info let me know

Hi, Really appreciate you taking the time to pass on this info. At the moment the date is fluid but its looking like either next Easter or October 2017.