Oliver Burke - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Oliver Burke

Stuart87

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worth a read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/28/sports/soccer/bundesliga-rb-leipzig-red-bull.html

Terrence Boyd, the team’s American forward, described the facilities as “among the best you could find anywhere, a huge draw for the club.”

What Mintzlaff describes as RB’s “philosophy,” instituted by Rangnick, centers exclusively on youth. The club tries to sign only players between the ages of 17 and 24, and there is a stated dedication to producing as many young, homegrown prospects as possible. The club is not, Mintzlaff said, “just buying players.” Its style of play — indicative of the philosophy of Rangnick, regarded by many as the godfather of the German pressing game — is attractive and expansive.

I think this could prove to be a fantastic move for Burke.

14 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Seems to me like they are disliked for the wrong reasons. The articles I read show that Wolfsburg and Bayer Leverkusen are disliked too. 

They're hated for buying success. For me that's buying the biggest players at the highest fees. Established top tier players for example teams like man city/chelsea.

RB have spent 36m this year. Their oldest signing is 21. Youth seems to be the market for them.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/rasenballsport-leipzig/transfers/verein/23826/saison_id/2016

Edited by Mazziessc

Just now, Mazziessc said:

They're hated for buying success. For me that's buying the biggest players at the highest fees. Established top tier players for example, man city/chelsea.

RB have spent 36m this year. Their oldest signing is 21. Youth seems to be the market for them.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/rasenballsport-leipzig/transfers/verein/23826/saison_id/2016

My question to anyone who dislikes their business model is, is there a team out there nowadays that does not buy its success?

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

Leicester

one example................maybe Atletico Madrid too

The point is there aren't many Leicester stories out there. Its usually one of the teams with very deep pockets that pick up the trophies

15 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

My question to anyone who dislikes their business model is, is there a team out there nowadays that does not buy its success?

Youth may well be their business model. Like many clubs, perhaps they see the likes of Burke's fee small in potential of what they can make from him in a few years. They can practically advertise him to potential "rumoured suitors" like Bayern. However winning the league is their overall aim. European football will be the next target before any potential title challenges. 

Edited by Mazziessc

1 minute ago, Mazziessc said:

They're hated for buying success. For me that's buying the biggest players at the highest fees. Established top tier players for example, man city/chelsea.

The reason they are hated is not down to buying success - or at least not solely - they've been hated ever since the day they were formed.   The British and American model of sports ownership is a complete anathema to the majority of German football fans.  The majority of German football clubs started off as sports clubs with mass membership.   The Germans have a very different attitude to the British.

Wolfsburg, Hoffenheim and Bayer Leverkusen are also pretty unpopular but not to the extent that RB Leipzig are.   Leverkusen and Wolfsburg aren't really comparable as although they are owned by Bayer and Volkswagen respectively, the clubs formed out of the works sports clubs.  

Hoffenheim are a bit different as they were lowly non-league village team who Dietmarr Hopp - one of the founders of SAP - used to play for and have come through the leagues as a result of him putting his money into the club. He's a more extreme version of Jack Walker at Blackburn.  It's an interesting difference between British and German attitudes that in the UK Dietmarr Hopp would be seen as a bit of a hero and Hoffenheim would be seen as a great "romantic adventure".

Anyway, the fundamental difference between those three and RB Leipzig is that the "money" is at least connected to the club and its history.

As was pointed out earlier, Red Bull bought the rights to an Oberliga - 5th tier - club purely with the intention of promoting their brand, something they had already done in Austria and in the US.  They originally tried to get the club registered as Red Bull Leipzig but that was kicked out hence its Rasen Bull Leipzig.

The choice of Leipzig as an area was deliberate as well.  For the World Cup in 2006, there was a political decision to build a stadium in the former East Germany as a symbol of German Reunification and so the Zentralstadion was rebuilt specifically for that.  The problem though was that Leipzig itself didn't have a football team, or at least not one capable of playing in a brand spanking new 43000 all seater stadium.

Still none of this really matters where Oliver Burke is concerned and it's good that he's got a move to a club that looks like they'll do pretty well in the Bundesliga this season.  I'm not saying they'll win it or anything but as a promoted club I reckon they'll do okay.

Got to admit that this move came totally out of left field but its very encouraging to see another young Scottish talent deciding to try Continental football. Hoping that this is the start of a trend amongst our up and coming players,

He'll learn a helluva lot more playing in Germany rather than the hurly-burly world of the Championship and, who knows, if he produces the goods then there is every chance he could attract the attention of the larger German clubs.

3 hours ago, deecie said:

Aberdeen do not buy success.

They just don't get it.

1 hour ago, King Of Paisley said:

Got to admit that this move came totally out of left field but its very encouraging to see another young Scottish talent deciding to try Continental football. Hoping that this is the start of a trend amongst our up and coming players,

He'll learn a helluva lot more playing in Germany rather than the hurly-burly world of the Championship and, who knows, if he produces the goods then there is every chance he could attract the attention of the larger German clubs.

Interested to see what Strachan says about him in his press conferences this week. He will undoubtedly be asked questions about him.

3 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Bit o/t but woudl be interesting to see a version of that for Scottish clubs.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/scottish-premiership/fuenfjahresvergleich/wettbewerb/SC1

Not sure how accurate either source is mind. 

Edit: I'll leave it here as it's still interesting, but I've just realised that is net transfer 'spend', not total spend.

Edited by Scots_Wha_Hae