Oliver Burke - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Oliver Burke

Stuart87

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I see no viable reason why he shouldn't start.

18 hours ago, runningtings said:

Aye, I'd hope he's in the first XI to be honest. We need to be as attacking as possible for this one.

He plays the same position as Snodgrass, so that could keep him out the team.

Burke and Snodgrass are probably the two form players in the squad. No other team with the sort of resources we have would consider leaving either of them out. Strachan and McGhee are probably humming and hawing, looking at playing one up front, packing the midfield, using a defender as a holding midfielder etc. This isn't a great squad of players by any means, but competently managed it contains more than enough ability to comfortably beat Malta. And yet this morning, before the start of another qualifying campaign, the talk is of what happens if we lose, and many (myself included) would be happy with an ugly 1-0 win. I really do think it should be better than this.

Edited by Pool Q

16 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Snodgrass doesn't have the pace for a wide role anyway

He's done alright in his career so far... 

I think you overvalue pace, much like many folk do. 

57 minutes ago, Pool Q said:

Burke and Snodgrass are probably the two form players in the squad. No other team with the sort of resources we have would consider leaving either of them out. Strachan and McGhee are probably humming and hawing, looking at playing one up front, packing the midfield, using a defender as a holding midfielder etc. This isn't a great squad of players by any means, but competently managed it contains more than enough ability to comfortably beat Malta. And yet this morning, before the start of another qualifying campaign, the talk is of what happens if we lose, and many (myself included) would be happy with an ugly 1-0 win. I really do think it should be better than this.

Nail on the head.

Paterson should start instead of Hutton. Burke should be one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Will either of them start? Highly unlikely.

6 minutes ago, Pool Q said:

Paper talk this morning seems to suggest Watt may start, which I suspect may be Strachan and McGhee  throwing up a bit of a smokescreen. Or maybe I'm just hoping that. 

Not in the initial squad but thrown right in to the team. Yet another Levein parallel. 

Is it possible that Strachan is just trolling me? 

4 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

The real competition for his position is James Forrest who has been playing for Keltic on the right recently; if he starts I hope he has his usual crap game so he can be hooked for Burke at half time.

Interesting. If Forrest starts, and you have a point he could do so on the right, I hope he runs the Maltese side ragged, rattles in a first-half hat-trick, gets a couple more in the second-half, and then goes off to a standing ovation from the Scotland fans with 10 minutes left. But that's probably just me.

On form and who is getting first team football then our starting line-up would vary from what the fans want to what it would be. Players such as Craig Gordon, Callum Patterson, Andrew Robertson, Christophe Berra, Gordon Greer, Matt Ritchie, Jamie Forrest, Darren Fletcher, Oliver Burke, Robert Snodgrass and Tony Watt would make up the starting line-up.

On form Craig Gordon would barely make the squad. There has been a remarkable turnaround at goal keeper, it seems like only five minutes ago that Gordon, McGregor and Marshall were all playing well and every week. Marshall is first choice at the moment, hopefully he can quickly establish himself at Hull.

1 minute ago, Pool Q said:

On form Craig Gordon would barely make the squad. There has been a remarkable turnaround at goal keeper, it seems like only five minutes ago that Gordon, McGregor and Marshall were all playing well and every week. Marshall is first choice at the moment, hopefully he can quickly establish himself at Hull.

Marshall hasn't started a match this season has he? Gordon has been a virtual regular.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Marshall hasn't started a match this season has he? Gordon has been a virtual regular.

On Marshall I don't know, don't really follow the English Championship, hopefully he'll get established quickly at Hull now. Gordon had been a regular for Celtic but has (and it gives me no pleasure to say this) poor in most games, and has now been dropped. Marshall is the 'man in possession' and I'd be very surprised if he didn't start. My point is that none of them could really be said to be in top form at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Pool Q said:

On Marshall I don't know, don't really follow the English Championship, hopefully he'll get established quickly at Hull now. Gordon had been a regular for Celtic but has (and it gives me no pleasure to say this) poor in most games, and has now been dropped. Marshall is the 'man in possession' and I'd be very surprised if he didn't start. My point is that none of them could really be said to be in top form at the moment.

But that is the crux of our problem right now. Key players not in form or out of favour with their clubs sums up where we (Scotland) are just now, sadly.

17 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

But that is the crux of our problem right now. Key players not in form or out of favour with their clubs sums up where we (Scotland) are just now, sadly.

I'd say the crux of our problem is a lack of key players and any real quality, coupled with poor squad selections which result in our team not being as strong as it should be. In addition to this some players selected are not even back up choices in their position at their club.

Depressing times.

I agree and disagree ProudScot. Agree about lack of key players and real quality (at international class level anyway) but don't buy the poor squad selection bit as these are the best of a bad bunch. Those not in squads have either had their chances and failed to shine or if not selected before if they were a big portion of us would be asking why they are in the squad or that they don't merit it. In short there are no hidden away Kenny Dalglish, Graeme Souness or James McFadden-types out there to select.

Edited by Caledonian Craig