Oliver Burke - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Oliver Burke

Stuart87

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 13/09/2016 at 9:37 PM, billy corby said:

Agreed , coming from corby where many many of us have exactly the same start , born in Scotland moved down early in life with the family , just been to malta and saw loads from corby , some on here have very small insular minds that  can't get past not having the same accent as them , and of course some scottish accents are stronger than others , so are the stronger accents more scottish ?!

I work in Corby and can find it hard working out who has a Scottish accent and who has a Corby accent. Plenty of those I work with consider themselves to be half Scottish and half English due to Scottish parent/s but being born and raised in England 

Personally, I want Scotland to qualify for a major tournament above anything else, and while it's preferable to have Scots in the team and Scotland is their only choice of who they want to play for, the reality of international sport is that all countries field players - across many sports - where some players have a tenuous relationship with the country they represent. So I'm less bothered than some on here about lineage and legitimacy, although I recognise it is a valid discussion point.

For what it is worth, I work with someone who told me about this lad Burke almost five years ago now. She grew up with Burke's dad in Argyllshire and said folk were raving about him and his potential when he was just 15/16. His family are Scots and she told me there has never, ever been any doubt about how he felt because his dad is very patriotic and he had always grown up, albeit in a foreign country, knowing and feeling he was Scottish. Apparently the English FA did try and tap him up before he had played competitively for us and it was never a consideration for him.

This lad is a real player and I'm not sure in my time of watching Scotland (born in mid70s) we have ever had a pacy, strong, big guy who is an attacking player with an eye for goal who can create. I'm trying not to get carried away but he looks like the real deal to me. I care not a jot that he has an English accent; he is one of us and plays for us.

1 hour ago, RabtheBruce said:

Personally, I want Scotland to qualify for a major tournament above anything else, and while it's preferable to have Scots in the team and Scotland is their only choice of who they want to play for, the reality of international sport is that all countries field players - across many sports - where some players have a tenuous relationship with the country they represent. So I'm less bothered than some on here about lineage and legitimacy, although I recognise it is a valid discussion point.

For what it is worth, I work with someone who told me about this lad Burke almost five years ago now. She grew up with Burke's dad in Argyllshire and said folk were raving about him and his potential when he was just 15/16. His family are Scots and she told me there has never, ever been any doubt about how he felt because his dad is very patriotic and he had always grown up, albeit in a foreign country, knowing and feeling he was Scottish. Apparently the English FA did try and tap him up before he had played competitively for us and it was never a consideration for him.

This lad is a real player and I'm not sure in my time of watching Scotland (born in mid70s) we have ever had a pacy, strong, big guy who is an attacking player with an eye for goal who can create. I'm trying not to get carried away but he looks like the real deal to me. I care not a jot that he has an English accent; he is one of us and plays for us.

Good to hear. I hope you are right. Looking forward to seeing a bit more of him, fingers crossed will be able to catch some of his club games. 

10 hours ago, RabtheBruce said:

Hear Hear! That should be the final and definitive word on the subject.

If i was any good at Football i would be the same as Burke. Born in Scotland moved to England and went to School here.

i have and always will be Scottish.

As others have said there are a lot in Corby who feel they are Scottish because there parents are from there and they grew up in an area full of Scots.Burke grew up a few miles from Corby.

if you counted the number of people on this board that live in Corby or born here there would be quite a few that would give there right arm to play for Scotland. I hope the same is true about Burke.

If you are brought up in England and your parents are Scottish then you have Scottish parentage, but that doesn't make you Scottish. Your nationality is defined by where you are from, where your formative experiences were, where your accent is from.

It's not defined by where your parents are from.

You do a disservice to your own upbringing by claiming someone else's as your own.

6 minutes ago, brant grebner said:

If you are brought up in England and your parents are Scottish then you have Scottish parentage, but that doesn't make you Scottish. Your nationality is defined by where you are from, where your formative experiences were, where your accent is from.

You do a disservice to your own upbringing by claiming someone else's as your own

One drip of Scottish blood and your Scottish. Perhaps you have insecurity issues with your nationality?

haha what the f*ck is going on here, not scottish if u were born here and have at least one scottish parent but lived in england. i think the nut house has an empty bed

how about if he moved to scotland at 15 and picked up a scottish accent then would that make everything ok in the world ?

cant wait to see the big man in action next month B)

Edited by LewisEDI

21 hours ago, brant grebner said:

You do a disservice to your own upbringing by claiming someone else's as your own.

Obviously interbreeding in your family.

19 hours ago, 86glebestreet said:

Not getting on today 

Ridiculously early days obviously, but given this and the comments attributed to the manager the other day, the assumptions on here that the £13m suggested he'd be going straight into the team were wide of the mark.

43 minutes ago, Marky said:

Ridiculously early days obviously, but given this and the comments attributed to the manager the other day, the assumptions on here that the £13m suggested he'd be going straight into the team were wide of the mark.

It's just a comment saying he wasn't playing, but you take the comment how ever you like,

1 hour ago, 86glebestreet said:

It's just a comment saying he wasn't playing, but you take the comment how ever you like,

I wasn't reading anything other than that into your post mate. I was just using it as a quote/link to make my point.

Think you've read something that isn't there???

20 hours ago, Marky said:

He did go straight in to the team. Came off the bench and set up a winning goal. 

He'll maybe not start every game initially. That's natural with a young player moving abroad and up a level. I can understand that the manager would want to give him time to bed in, train with the squad and get used to a different style of play before picking him in the starting eleven. I wouldn't read too much in to him not getting any game time this week. 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

He did go straight in to the team. Came off the bench and set up a winning goal. 

He'll maybe not start every game initially. That's natural with a young player moving abroad and up a level. I can understand that the manager would want to give him time to bed in, train with the squad and get used to a different style of play before picking him in the starting eleven. I wouldn't read too much in to him not getting any game time this week. 

Agreed. Right now he is is the squad, on the bench, and available to the manager. He remains a work in progress. The second game for him, at the weekend, was a 0-4 away win at Hamburg, so possibly not too surprising that the manager didn't use him !

On 17/09/2016 at 10:59 AM, brant grebner said:

If you claim to be Scottish but don't have a Scottish accent then you're not Scottish. You're a fûckin weirdo.

you are not getting me to bite on this we all know what you are up to

in Corby you have people with a Glasgow accent that have never been to Scotland work that out....

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

His manager came out and said this the day after the Dortmund game. Roughly "he has no positional sense when his side isn't in possession, so it will take time before he's up-to-speed and able to play 90 minutes for us'.