Oliver Burke - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Oliver Burke

Stuart87

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's ridiculous, Friendly or not if you play for a country then you shouldn't be allowed to change.  I reckon Strachan will be cautious and play experienced players over young players but think Burke will get on at some point. 

1 hour ago, Boboblanko said:

Crossing my fingers now he doesn't pull out of the squad this week so we can at least secure him to Scotland. He needs to get on at some point 

Mad to think just a few months back he was getting abuse on Twitter for not being Scottish...

35 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Mad to think just a few months back he was getting abuse on Twitter for not being Scottish...

Those feckers ought to be ashamed of themselves.

There were still also silly bastards on twitter and facebook questioning his call up last week on the lines of "If I huvnae heard of him ..... he must be pish".

The only negative aspect of this transfer (unless you are a Forest fan) is that the media are starting to go OTT. Some idiot journalists are making Dalglish and Law comparisons already. Another comparing Burke with Gareth Bale. This sort of stuff is seriously not helpful. Don't need any of that sort of thing.

Happy he's had a call up, was on YouTube looking at some videos of him as admittedly I've never seen him play, but by the looks of the videos he looks quality! Recon the move to Germany was the best move for him, just hope he doesn't do a 'Ryan Guald' - get out there and play no first team football! 

23 minutes ago, MikeyGC said:

Happy he's had a call up, was on YouTube looking at some videos of him as admittedly I've never seen him play, but by the looks of the videos he looks quality! Recon the move to Germany was the best move for him, just hope he doesn't do a 'Ryan Guald' - get out there and play no first team football! 

As vanderark14 said earlier in the thread, for a recently promoted team to spend £13,000,000 on a nineteen year old, you would expect him to go straight into the first team beginning with Dortmund on the 10th of September.

2 minutes ago, deecie said:

It's just as mental as him becoming the messiah overnight because he's moved to the Bundesliga.

What if he'd signed for Aberdeen ? :P

4 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

What if he'd signed for Aberdeen ? :P

It's just good to see another East Coast Lad try himself out on the continent, rather that opting for Lower League in England - like all the West Coast lads do.

Playing abroad massively improved several Scottish players 

Mo Johnston and Paul Lambert for example

Far better players when they returned than when they left

Hopefully this will continue

Looks a great prospect from what I have seen and really hope he makes it big time. Without wishing to curb enthusiasm, he really does remind me of the great Ted McMinn (Tin Man) in playing style. Have a look at McMinn's goal v Spurs online (1988) and you might agree. 

TBH I have never heard anyone say that Gareth Bale is the Welsh Ted McMinn!

22 hours ago, aaid said:

The reason they are hated is not down to buying success - or at least not solely - they've been hated ever since the day they were formed.   The British and American model of sports ownership is a complete anathema to the majority of German football fans.  The majority of German football clubs started off as sports clubs with mass membership.   The Germans have a very different attitude to the British.

Wolfsburg, Hoffenheim and Bayer Leverkusen are also pretty unpopular but not to the extent that RB Leipzig are.   Leverkusen and Wolfsburg aren't really comparable as although they are owned by Bayer and Volkswagen respectively, the clubs formed out of the works sports clubs.

How did they get past the 51% role? Understand Hoffenheim, Wolfsburg exceptions. Seems Germany is the same as everywhere else. Bayern dominate. Others fall behind. Money talks and people complain but as soon as your team is offered money then all the Corinthian spirit goes out the window.

10 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Those feckers ought to be ashamed of themselves.

There were still also silly bastards on twitter and facebook questioning his call up last week on the lines of "If I huvnae heard of him ..... he must be pish".

The only negative aspect of this transfer (unless you are a Forest fan) is that the media are starting to go OTT. Some idiot journalists are making Dalglish and Law comparisons already. Another comparing Burke with Gareth Bale. This sort of stuff is seriously not helpful. Don't need any of that sort of thing.

The media overreaction would be worse if he signed for an EPL team. he'd be adding to the "excitement" of reaching £1,000,000,000 in transfer fee's.:wacko:

Edited by vanderark14

3 minutes ago, Alan said:

How did they get past the 51% role? Understand Hoffenheim, Wolfsburg exceptions. Seems Germany is the same as everywhere else. Bayern dominate. Others fall behind. Money talks and people complain but as soon as your team is offered money then all the Corinthian spirit goes out the window.

This was the point I made earlier.

Bayern were the team leading the financial fair play rules but this was only to retain their dominance in Germany because they are the biggest brand..

1 hour ago, Alan said:

How did they get past the 51% role? Understand Hoffenheim, Wolfsburg exceptions. 

It's complicated. They didn't get an exception. Basically, Red Bull own the club, but the club has to be controlled by at least 51% of "voting members" of the club. To get round this the voting members of the club are Red Bull employees. Although anyone can become a "supporting member" of the club, there is no official way to become a voting member.

By finding a way round the 50+1 rule they've opened the door for others to do the same, and this is one of the reasons that fans of other clubs hate them.

1 hour ago, Alan said:

In Wolfsburg and Bayer Leverkusen's case, its because they owned the club(s) for more than 20 years.  There is grandfather legislation in place.  

For Hoffenheim, I don't think that Dietmar Hopp owns a controlling interest he's just been bankrolling them. 

RB Leipzig are have a 50 +1 ownership, however they have gotten around the regulation as club membership is extortionate and while in theory anyone can join the club, very few can afford to.  The majority of club members are employees of Red Bull.

the hype around him is far too much, he is fast and strong and has a great start to the season but he is very one footed and not that skillfull unlike bale, comparisonas with him just because he is fast and can play wide if farcical. we all hope he will become a fantastic player for us but lets not jump the gun 

9 minutes ago, LewisEDI said:

the hype around him is far too much, he is fast and strong and has a great start to the season but he is very one footed and not that skillfull unlike bale, comparisonas with him just because he is fast and can play wide if farcical. we all hope he will become a fantastic player for us but lets not jump the gun 

To be fair... Gareth Bale was a joke figure to most until he was about 21. So Burke has a pretty good start on him ;) 

Having seen Burke play about twice, i'll reserve my judgement on how good he can/will be. 

8 minutes ago, LewisEDI said:

'Not that skilful'? His party piece seems to be toe-poking the ball home with the outside of his right foot. That takes skill and confidence. He can also head a goal like Bale. I think a better comparison is with Thomas Muller. Burke has not yet demonstrated he can play all over the pitch like Bale who started out at left back. 

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

'Not that skilful'? His party piece seems to be toe-poking the ball home with the outside of his right foot. That takes skill and confidence. He can also head a goal like Bale. I think a better comparison is with Thomas Muller. Burke has not yet demonstrated he can play all over the pitch like Bale who started out at left back. 

muller now! i meant skillful when he is running with the ball, step overs, flicks etc. 

29 minutes ago, LewisEDI said:

Did you see his goal from Saturday?