Vienna - Slovakia v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Vienna

Ormond

Cannae be ersed looking through various Vienna threads. I've just managed to find return flights for 500 dollars. I'm coming now. Arrive early Sat in Vienna. Mates don't turn up until Monday in Bratislava though. Which one of you lumps o' shite are buying me a swally in Vienna on the Sat and Sun?

We're meeting at around 11 Saturday Morning at Vienna airport (pals flying from Ed me from Stansted) if anyone likely to be there about then (pals need to wait half an hour for me) - otherwise suggestions for drinking / meeting up with folk in Vienna appreciated as I can never find a good boozer there. We are only in Vienna the one night as going to Bratislava via a town in Hungary (Gyor) on the Sunday,   PS - there is strangely a good boozer in Vienna airport which still allows smoking

Pub I really enjoyed in central Vienna when I was there was the 1516 Brewing Co near the Opera House.... good bar with reasonable prices and good atmosphere.

If you are heading out to Prater (the large fairground) there is a great and massive beer garden there called Schweizerhaus that does good food and beer.

Other bar in the city I have heard good things about is 7 Stern Brau.... never had time to visit it when I was there, but a friend visited Vienna recently and he went along to it and came back with great things to say about it.

30 minutes ago, WeeJohmny said:

Cheers for the recommends ! Will try the 1516. We're in Vienna overnight - if anyone hears of a sports bar or the like likely to show the Scotland game do us a favour and post it - we forgot about that game when we booked the flights.

I think there is one in Vienna called Champions (name rings a bell.... when we were there my mate who works for Falkirk Fc wanted to meet a Austrian footballer who played for them in the 90's, and 1516 and Champions were some of the bars he text us to say where to meet), there is also a Scottish Pub called The Highlander, but like 7 Stern Baru is a bit out the way..... Vienna City Center I found really odd to navigate as on the map it looked close to certain places I wanted to visit, yet nearest metro station for where I wanted to go was miles away, but actually when you get on top of it, its rather easy to find your way about.

2 hours ago, WeeJohmny said:

We are only in Vienna the one night as going to Bratislava via a town in Hungary (Gyor) on the Sunday

I was in Gyor the other week.

Some very impressive buildings, and a lovely place to spend a few hours. There are excellent views from the tower at the Bishop's Castle. Not too many tourists in town as the majority spend their time in Vienna, Budapest or Bratislava.

Wubbs and all- I was going to post a thread on Gyor so brilliant youve been and liked it ! I went there last year and loved it. Stunning and on the Danube ! I had a cracking time - met some students (the uni there does tourism so they want to practice their english) who gave me a tour and got me totally plastered. There are a few really good pubs (I was paying 80p a pint for budvar) and some stuff tucked away. English wasnt so widely spoken which made it fun. Train takes an hour there and we'll go by road (organising cheap taxi / mini bus) from there to Bratislava Sunday evening (about an hour). The students are meeting us so should be a laugh. Anyone wanting to join us really welcome !!! We get the 11.43 from Vienna (thinking head may feel a bit better by then). Will be fun to see the Gyor people's reaction  to the kilt. Personally Vienna is ok for a few hours and architecture stunning but I didnt warm to it. 

On 31. 8. 2016 at 6:00 PM, WeeJohmny said:

Personally Vienna is ok for a few hours and architecture stunning but I didnt warm to it. 

I don't see what the fuss with Vienna is either. I wouldn't mind living there, but I've never really enjoyed it as a tourist.

On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 3:05 PM, wubbs said:

I was in Gyor the other week.

Some very impressive buildings, and a lovely place to spend a few hours. There are excellent views from the tower at the Bishop's Castle. Not too many tourists in town as the majority spend their time in Vienna, Budapest or Bratislava.

Sopron is worth a visit too. If only to go to Fertoboz, possibly my favourite placename in Europe...