Gene Wilder - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Brown bread

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37215553

2016 is a real bitch.

This statement from his nephew is really moving

His nephew said in a statement, “We understand for all the emotional and physical challenges this situation presented we have been among the lucky ones — this illness-pirate, unlike in so many cases, never stole his ability to recognize those that were closest to him, nor took command of his central-gentle-life affirming core personality. The decision to wait until this time to disclose his condition wasn’t vanity, but more so that the countless young children that would smile or call out to him “there’s Willy Wonka,” would not have to be then exposed to an adult referencing illness or trouble and causing delight to travel to worry, disappointment or confusion. He simply couldn’t bear the idea of one less smile in the world.

Edited by biffer

He was a good age but still sad to hear of his passing, especially the news he had Alzheimer's, a horrible thief of an illness. I loved his comedies, especially when partnered with Richard Prior but first and foremost he'll always be Willie Wonka to me. 

Have to admit that with the exception of Willy Wonka which i loved as a wee boy and still do i wasnt much of a fan of his other stuff.

I have tried on numerous occasions and really wanted to enjoy the likes of Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles along with his other Mel Brooks collaborations but just couldnt.

Maybe one day i will but i just find that humour funny in small doses and eventually lose interest in the endless over the top nonsensical stupidity

Edited by Ally Bongo

19 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Have to admit that with the exception of Willy Wonka which i loved as a wee boy and still do i wasnt much of a fan of his other stuff.

I have tried on numerous occasions and really wanted to enjoy the likes of Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles along with his other Mel Brooks collaborations but just couldnt.

Maybe one day i will but i just find that humour funny in small doses and eventually lose interest in the endless over the top nonsensical stupidity

One of the funniest films ever made when I watched it numerous times years ago.

I've not watched it in recent years so it's may be too dated or lost it's charm over time, but it was brilliant back then.

11 hours ago, fringo said:

One of the funniest films ever made when I watched it numerous times years ago.

I've not watched it in recent years so it's may be too dated or lost it's charm over time, but it was brilliant back then.

Loved Blazing Saddles.  Remember sitting with my Granda watching it and we both about fell of the sofa in tears laughing when the cowboys eating the beans all started farting.  Childish, but then i was about 7 (not sure what my Granda's excuse was!).

I found him to be very funny and enjoyed almost anything he was part of.  

So many funny films but my favourite is Young Frankenstein. Non-stop daftness.

Like so many others when I hear "Putting on the Ritz"  it's Peter Boyle's voice I hear. ? 

Edit: forgot to say I can't hear the word knockers now without responding "zhank you Doctor".

Edited by RenfrewBlue

On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 6:23 AM, Mitre said:

Stir Crazy & Hear No Evil See No Evil. Great films in addition to the ones above.

A very funny man.

and Blazing Saddles love those films nae a fan of the Willy wonka film probably a victim of being aired on telly at least once a year a bit like wizard of oz and star wars sick to death of these films