Estonia 1 Malta 1 Tonight - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Estonia 1 Malta 1 Tonight

runningtings

I don't think we should be scared but i think this game has all the hallmarks of a ground out 1-0 or 2-1 victory with a draw or loss by no means out of the question . Their last campaign was entirely decent in terms of results (although I don't know how they actually played), only conceding 16 goals in 10 games. We are nowhere near good enough to presume we will brush them aside.

Euro Qualifiers 2014/15:

Croatia  2-0 Malta
Malta    0-3 Norway
Malta    0-1 Italy
Bulgaria 1-1 Malta

Azerbaijan 2-0 Malta
Malta    0-1 Bulgaria
Italy    1-0 Malta
Malta    2-2 Azerbaijan
Norway   2-0 Malta
Malta    0-1 Croatia

Hope we have videos of the Norway games.

11 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Euro Qualifiers 2014/15:

Croatia  2-0 Malta
Malta    0-3 Norway
Malta    0-1 Italy
Bulgaria 1-1 Malta

Azerbaijan 2-0 Malta
Malta    0-1 Bulgaria
Italy    1-0 Malta
Malta    2-2 Azerbaijan
Norway   2-0 Malta
Malta    0-1 Croatia

They didn't score too many goals, but I am fearing a 0-0. We will go over there and set up as we always do, as a counter attacking team with 1 up top, if that's Fletcher we could be in for a nervy night. I'd rather we went with 2 up top and 2 quick wide players. Having said that I'd be happy enough with any win, a dodgy penalty, OG, whatever is required, lets just get 3 points. 

Not really looking to much into this game, as I doubt both teams were going it their all (Malta probably had one eye on us, and Estonia probably had a eye on their game away to Bosnia next week).... seem to recall Estonia drew 1-1 with Gibraltar just before we played them last year.

With regards to our game, I am expecting a hard contest where we will probably have lots of possession, but Malta will just soak it up, before we get a sloppy 1-0 lead midway through the 2nd half as a result of a set piece and that is probably how the game will pan out.

4 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

10 years since we won our first qualifier.  Long overdue putting that right.

Fareos at Celtic Park last win? Off the top of my head, since then 0-1 v Macedonia, 0-0 v Lithuania, 0-0 v Serbia and 1-2 v Germany?

Anything other than a win and we definitely can't qualify - No team who qualifies will lose any points v the bottom seeds.

A team really wanting the result would play attacking and set up in an attack minded formation - Strachan just doesn't have that in his locker though.

Just shows if we can get a win what a difference it could potentially make to get some momentum going.

Think we will win, but its not going to be pretty and the goal will either be Burke coming on and making a hero of himself from the off, or a weak Steven Fletcher shot that rebounds off 4 Maltese players before being lobbed over the keeper :lol:

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

Anything other than a win and we definitely can't qualify - No team who qualifies will lose any points v the bottom seeds.

A team really wanting the result would play attacking and set up in an attack minded formation - Strachan just doesn't have that in his locker though.

he sets up in an attacking a formation as anyone else does nowadays

he just puts a shite forward up front and some questionable choices throughout the rest of the team

4 hours ago, Brooky said:

They didn't score too many goals, but I am fearing a 0-0. We will go over there and set up as we always do, as a counter attacking team with 1 up top, if that's Fletcher we could be in for a nervy night. I'd rather we went with 2 up top and 2 quick wide players. Having said that I'd be happy enough with any win, a dodgy penalty, OG, whatever is required, lets just get 3 points. 

Spot on post.

We lost in Georgia because of the inherent way we are set-up to play. We are stuck in counter-attacking mode as it has served us well in a lot of games however it has also cost us dearly in others. Counter-attacking is fine IF you are playing a team that has come to attack but the likes of Georgia and Malta are not of that ilk. They are teams that sit in and invariably so do we so we have a stand-off and the minnows smell the fear and grow in stature and confidence. I'd sooner we break that mould on Sunday and go all out attacking and leave them to worry about how they keep us out. We need two strikers up front - go for the win positively instead of meekly setting up to counter-attack against a team who are not going to be bothered by that tactic - in fact they'll like that.

16 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Euro Qualifiers 2014/15:

Croatia  2-0 Malta
Malta    0-3 Norway
Malta    0-1 Italy
Bulgaria 1-1 Malta

Azerbaijan 2-0 Malta
Malta    0-1 Bulgaria
Italy    1-0 Malta
Malta    2-2 Azerbaijan
Norway   2-0 Malta
Malta    0-1 Croatia

Currently 5/6 for under 2.5 goals

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Spot on post.

We lost in Georgia because of the inherent way we are set-up to play. We are stuck in counter-attacking mode as it has served us well in a lot of games however it has also cost us dearly in others. Counter-attacking is fine IF you are playing a team that has come to attack but the likes of Georgia and Malta are not of that ilk. They are teams that sit in and invariably so do we so we have a stand-off and the minnows smell the fear and grow in stature and confidence. I'd sooner we break that mould on Sunday and go all out attacking and leave them to worry about how they keep us out. We need two strikers up front - go for the win positively instead of meekly setting up to counter-attack against a team who are not going to be bothered by that tactic - in fact they'll like that.

steven fletcher partnering chris martin up front then