Most well known Scottish teams - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Most well known Scottish teams

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 09/09/2016 at 2:45 PM, scoobydoo said:

My first euro double header was United V Gladbach in the UEFA Cup '87. 0-0 at tannadice then the bus to gladbach, aged 19 and my first time out of the bosom of the UK. Immense. To win 0-2 away from home, drinking great beer, in a euro semi-final was the stuff of dreams and i thought it was going to last forever. How wrong I was. Even when united got cheated by roma and the ref in the european cup semi final I thought, 'aw well, we'll get there next year'. !!!

Same here.

Watching the BBC1 program on Scottish football tonight (and some of the previous ones) just makes me sad about our football at club and country level. :(

Work a lot in Norway, Denmark, Faroes, Iceland.. Whenever asked where I'm from,  I say I stay near Aberdeen, it'll be met with something about the dons. Seem to know their  stuff. 

On 10 September 2016 at 0:57 PM, exile said:

Well I generally know of overseas teams from via European competitions especially with Scottish clubs, so it depends who you play and some will loom larger than others.

You could be passing through Belgium and suddenly see a station Mechelen and realise you know the name. Or realise you know that Craiova has a university (and, is a place, at all), because they once played Dundee United (it seems they are now defunct - the club not the university). And what about TNS (Total Network Solutions), Videoton, Anorthosis Famagusta, etc...

So I'd have thought Aberdeen and Dundee United would be better known than Hibs and Hearts on grounds of European exposure. But by that argument, clubs like Gretna and Queen of the South could be better known than larger rivals.

Uni Craiova (the club) still exists in some form. A barman at my local pub in Guernsey supports them and I have mentioned a few times of the time I saw us beat them during one of our European runs back in the day. In fact he is back there on holiday right now