Most well known Scottish teams - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Most well known Scottish teams

Wee debate I was having with my pals was who is the most well known Scottish teams around Europe? Obviously most European football fans will know who Celtic and Rangers are. Then after that there was much debate over who was more well known out of Aberdeen, Hibs and hearts although Could be argued that there is a case for Dundee United. Hibs and Hearts being from the capital is bound to boost their pedigree a bit as most  fans could tell you the name of a football team from any European footballing nations capital that is worth their salt however what have hibs and hearts ever won? Aberdeen no doubt were famous back in the day but I wonder if the average German/polish/french fan could name very many Scottish teams..

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst, I dont wish to inflate the, already monumental, egos of our resident Dandies, any further, I would say Aberdeen.

European Final success over Real Madrid, under the best/most well known manager in modern time Football, would catch the attention of a lot of football fans.

I suspect St Mirren are better know than Hibs for similar reasons........

Edited by Angus_Young

After the Old Firm, the only ones known by any Europeans would be Aberdeen and Utd for their European exploits in the 80s.

Younger ones wouldn't have a clue about them either.

Apart from that, most wouldn't have heard of many/any others unless they can go back 40-50 plus years .

For anybody over 50 it will be United without a doubt. They never quite managed to win anything but their style of football was admired all over Europe.  

For younger viewers, Scottish teams will be no better known than teams from Ireland, Norway or Latvia.

I'd imagine any knowledgeable football fan would have heard of most of our top flight clubs. Using the example of the Hungarian above, i could name 5 or 6 Hungarian sides off the top of my head. 

I remember on a holiday to koh phi phi in Thailand and I played football with the locals each evening - one of the lads asked who I supported and when I told him he said "ah yes Tangerine!!" I was pretty surprised as assumed most of them only followed the English teams.

edit to say - he may even have said orange rather than tangerine but the point being he knew the shirt colour.

Edited by ShedTA

I remember being verbally abused to the sounds of 'sheep shagging b@stard' in German accents from a balcony above the street I was walking down in Oporto during Euro 2004.  I was wearing a white replica away shirt with red pin stripes, so possibly Hamburg fans still hurting about the Super Cup!

My three mates, two Celtic and one St Mirren, made a visibly attempt to distance themselves from me to make it clear they were not sheep shaggers!

I thought it was a good spot from them to pick out an away strip from a different era.

6 hours ago, ShedTA said:

I remember on a holiday to koh phi phi in Thailand and I played football with the locals each evening - one of the lads asked who I supported and when I told him he said "ah yes Tangerine!!" I was pretty surprised as assumed most of them only followed the English teams.

edit to say - he may even have said orange rather than tangerine but the point being he knew the shirt colour.

I knew you were orange really......... ;):lol:

Well, I got a blank look from some locals in Metz when I mentioned Accies.   Giving them their full name mind you, to be as clear as I could :blink:

Still just wanted me to pick between Rangers & Celtic as usual.   I'm starting to think this is just a wind up now.

From trawling data Slide Tackle, if I have this correct...

Hibs reached...
European Cup semi-final 1955-56 (could have been famous :ph34r: )
Fairs Cup semi-final 1960-61
Fairs Cup qtr-final 1962-63
Cup Winners' Cup qtr-final 1972-73

Hearts reached...
UEFA Cup qtr-final 1988-89

So folk would need good memories plus, Dunfermline & Dundee have better European "pedigree" (in 1960's) than Hearts.
And does anyone outside Ayrshire, never mind Europe, remember Kilmarnock reaching the 1967 Fairs cup semi-final?

When i was frankfurt a few years ago. A few of their fans had heard of Hibs, Aberdeen and Utd in that order. 

A lot of Frankfurt fans to seem to have a soft spot for us. I know a few of their own fans were over for the 2012 cup final and over the years. 

Sadly the truth is that recognition of any teams other than the OF in the rest of the world is minimal. I'd guess that Aberdeen would be slightly less unknown than the rest, but it is bald men fighting over a comb territory really.

This thread reminds of a great post I seen someone share from a Celtic forum where a guy claimed he went to the Boca vs River derby in his Celtic shirt (and his mate in a Rangers shirt) and all the Argentines recognised the Celtic top but some were asking the Rangers fan what team's shirt he was wearing. The cherry on the top of this story however is that he also claimed he was serenaded with "You'll never walk alone" by the locals on his way to the stadium.

12 minutes ago, Ormond said:

The way fitba' is going played on a tv screen to the Chumps League music in the background, I'd say even Rangers will be becoming an unknown name in Europe to anybody under the age of 30. 

Interestingly i read a thing a few years back that one of the explanations that boys under 14 in Scotland had a better geographical knowledge than girls was through football. At 14 I could probably name all the capitals in Europe and their derbies. You maybe right though that this is changing these days, unless your in the CL.