Any light bulb experts on the TAMB? - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Any light bulb experts on the TAMB?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lightbulb will simply have been on its last legs and when it heats up and cools down,the glass around it will harden everytime until it can't take anymore. 

It didn't melt as its glass and you'll find tiny fragments of you look closely enough. 

Fit an led lamp next time,you'll never have this problem again. 

5 hours ago, dandydunn said:

The lightbulb will simply have been on its last legs and when it heats up and cools down,the glass around it will harden everytime until it can't take anymore. 

It didn't melt as its glass and you'll find tiny fragments of you look closely enough. 

Fit an led lamp next time,you'll never have this problem again. 

True, but you'll also be sitting in gloom as the led bulbs just don't give off much light. 

1 hour ago, ShedTA said:

:ok:

I can't think of anymore jokes other than a nerdy one I was told at work the other day.

How many software testers does it take to change a light bulb? 

None. Testers just record the defect.

Calling it a joke might be pushing it.

9 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

True, but you'll also be sitting in gloom as the led bulbs just don't give off much light. 

You're thinking of an energy saving lamp. 

Led lamps come from a deep yellow glow to bright white. 

Its the way forward,trust me,I don't fit normal lamps for people anymore unless they insist,led is 99% fail proof. 

14 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Its the way forward,trust me,I don't fit normal lamps for people anymore unless they insist,led is 99% fail proof. 

Yeah, we changed all the bulbs in our house to LED, you certainly couldn't call them dull - we did go for the cool white though.

On 6 September 2016 at 11:27 PM, dandydunn said:

Can you recommend any led manufacturer that has leds with a decent warm light.?  I dont like the stark cold light most of them give and even the warm ones i have are not as warm as the standard gu10 bulbs i have elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Can you recommend any led manufacturer that has leds with a decent warm light.?  I dont like the stark cold light most of them give and even the warm ones i have are not as warm as the standard gu10 bulbs i have elsewhere. 

We tend to use osram or Phillips,but they tend to be much the same. Led is a massive improvement in lighting. 

Heres a basic chart of the colours,we tend to go between 3k and 5k lamps. (Kelvin)

http://www.ecoglow.com.au/exfiles/colour temp chart copy.jpg

What is the bet in a year or two they are touting some new wonder light bulb to replace LED and once again it is only 5 quid a light bulb but you will save thooooousands in the long term...  

BTW There is no way the old light bulb disintegrated into tiny tiny pieces and the OP did not notice it. Pish!  It would have left some visible evidence of its own melt down.

Edited by thplinth

55 minutes ago, thplinth said:

What is the bet in a year or two they are touting some new wonder light bulb to replace LED and once again it is only 5 quid a light bulb but you will save thooooousands in the long term...  

BTW There is no way the old light bulb disintegrated into tiny tiny pieces and the OP did not notice it. Pish!  It would have left some visible evidence of its own melt down.

Yep - definitely nothing left on the cabinet around the lamp.  I even ran my hand across it at the time in case there was just fine shards left but nothing other than normal dust.