Any light bulb experts on the TAMB? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Any light bulb experts on the TAMB?

I've got a table lamp in my living room which I have on a timer so it comes on when I'm not in the house.  A few weeks back, I went to bed and the light was on. Next day, light didn't come on at the usual time so I went to see if the light bulb had blown...low and behold...no light bulb at all, no glass. As I live alone, I put it down to momentary age-related madness and forgot about it.

However, have since bought a number of different sized screw bulbs which are the right wattage for the lamp but none will fit.  Tonight I took the shade off the lamp and had a good look and it looks like the remnants of the light bulb are actually stuck inside the light and that's what's stopping new bulbs being fitted.  But how is that possible when there are absolutely no shards of light bulb anywere to be seen around the lamp itself?

It's driving me mad as I love the lamp and would be gutted to have to throw it out but can't see anyway of getting rid of the remains of the light bulb.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, jenblueeyes said:

I've got a table lamp in my living room which I have on a timer so it comes on when I'm not in the house.  A few weeks back, I went to bed and the light was on. Next day, light didn't come on at the usual time so I went to see if the light bulb had blown...low and behold...no light bulb at all, no glass. As I live alone, I put it down to momentary age-related madness and forgot about it.

However, have since bought a number of different sized screw bulbs which are the right wattage for the lamp but none will fit.  Tonight I took the shade off the lamp and had a good look and it looks like the remnants of the light bulb are actually stuck inside the light and that's what's stopping new bulbs being fitted.  But how is that possible when there are absolutely no shards of light bulb anywere to be seen around the lamp itself?

It's driving me mad as I love the lamp and would be gutted to have to throw it out but can't see anyway of getting rid of the remains of the light bulb.

How do you know that?

Two options I can think of

1. You have ghosts in your house.
  2. You broke it one night when you were pished, cleared up the mess, went to bed and forgot about it.

Pair of plyers and a big screwdriver should fix it.

Edited by Orraloon

I am mostly curious as to how the old bulb disappeared that is the real mystery here but anyhoo I once removed a light bulb for the glass part to shear off from the metal screw end bit leaving that part stuck in the light fitting. I expect your ghost somehow did the same. Turn off the power at the mains and then using a pair of pliers (may need needle pliers if it is tight space) grip the remnants of the bulb casing and screw it out as normal. Remember to turn the power off at the mains first though, really can't emphasize that part enough.  ;)

edit: are you prone to sleepwalking?

Edited by thplinth

I don't qualify as an expert but if you're rejecting ghosts, angry pets, inconvenienced burglars & booze then the next best bet is that it melted, hence why bits of it are in the lamp. Is the light fitting removable? If so you ought to be able to fit a replacement without too much trouble. If it's melted into or damaged any non-removable parts though, you probably need a new one.

And don't panic too much, but keep in mind that it could be caused by an electrical fault on the circuit, so if you start to get similar problems or smell burning/melting plastic then get a sparky out to have a look.

If it's a table lamp, you don't need to turn the power off at the mains.  Just unplug the lamp from the wall socket.  Then you can usually get the remains of the bulb out using pliers and screwdrivers.  As it's a screw fitting, if you can turn it, it should come loose once you get it to move a wee bit.  If that doesn't work, it's usually fairly simple to remove the bulb holder from the lamp - usually held in place by some sort of plastic nut that fits round the body of the lampholder.

Remembering to remove the plug from the wall first it is easy to get the base out of the fitting. Put a cloth in the gap for grip purposes and then with your thumb press and turn the inside of the globe in an anti-clockwise direction. 4 full turns and it should be out. 

Put on a pair of rubber shoes before you do it as well just in case... a pair of crocs would be ideal.

But first try to post a picture of the remnants of the old bulb to see if we can determine what happened to it. If not then it could have slipped into a rip in the space time continuum in which case you should probably also tie one end of a rope to the bed post and then the other end around your waist as well before attempting the repair. 

Edited by thplinth

Unplugged the light the minute I realised the light bulb was missing - have spent too much time with The Cheeseman not to be worried about the potential of fire!

I wasn't drunk...might have had a glass of Bailey's but certainly not pished enough to forget taking out a light bulb.

Managed to get the remains of the light bulb out tonight by stuffing a thick, damp cloth into the base and unscrewing it.  All that was left was the metal base, which had a slightly crusty rim but no sign of the rest of the light bulb.  Oddly, it's a mirrored lamp and it now has some cracks radiating out from the light fitting which I've never noticed before so not sure if that's a side effect of the bulb incident.

I have lots of bulbs now but not sure I want to use the lamp anymore!

1 hour ago, jenblueeyes said:

Unplugged the light the minute I realised the light bulb was missing - have spent too much time with The Cheeseman not to be worried about the potential of fire!

I wasn't drunk...might have had a glass of Bailey's but certainly not pished enough to forget taking out a light bulb.

Managed to get the remains of the light bulb out tonight by stuffing a thick, damp cloth into the base and unscrewing it.  All that was left was the metal base, which had a slightly crusty rim but no sign of the rest of the light bulb.  Oddly, it's a mirrored lamp and it now has some cracks radiating out from the light fitting which I've never noticed before so not sure if that's a side effect of the bulb incident.

I have lots of bulbs now but not sure I want to use the lamp anymore!

:yikes3:  Finding a crusty rim after a drunken blackout would be a bit worrying, right enough.

23 hours ago, thplinth said:

I am mostly curious as to how the old bulb disappeared that is the real mystery here but anyhoo I once removed a light bulb for the glass part to shear off from the metal screw end bit leaving that part stuck in the light fitting. I expect your ghost somehow did the same. Turn off the power at the mains and then using a pair of pliers (may need needle pliers if it is tight space) grip the remnants of the bulb casing and screw it out as normal. Remember to turn the power off at the mains first though, really can't emphasize that part enough.  ;)

edit: are you prone to sleepwalking?

Or unplug it...mm

19 hours ago, Parklife said:

Why would you want a light on when you're not at home? 

To make it look like someones in