StrachanS D-DAY - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

StrachanS D-DAY

Robroysboy

While we play malta, England are in Slovakia.

To have any prospect of finishing in the top two we must win in Malta. 

No more excuses, no more failures.

Lessons must have been learned from tiblisi.  No more picking a core of players who let us down in tiblisi.

Lets give the inform players game time.

Positives are

1.malta have the worst home record in world cup qualifiers.

2.Snodgrass is back and he is our best player

3. Lots of young legs in the squad including a 15 million winger

4. Tartan army will be there in their thousands, making it feel like a home game 

Lets win in Malta. 

In GORD we trust

1 hour ago, Robroysboy said:

Lessons must have been learned from tiblisi.  No more picking a core of players who let us down in tiblisi.

Cough ......

Line up v Georgia away

Marshall, Hutton, Martin, Mulgrew, Robertson, Morrison, Brown, Maloney, Naismith, Anya, Fletcher

Subs - Hanley, Forrest, Griffiths

Current squad v Malta

Craig Gordon, Jack Hamilton, David Marshall

Christophe Berra, Gordon Greer, Grant Hanley, Alan Hutton, Russell Martin, Callum Paterson, Andrew Robertson

Ikechi Anya, Barry Bannan, Oliver Burke, Darren Fletcher, James Forrest, John McGinn, Barrie McKay, James Morrison, Matt Ritchie, Robert Snodgrass

Steven Fletcher, Chris Martin, Steven Naismith, Tony Watt

26 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Cough ......

Line up v Georgia away

Marshall, Hutton, Martin, Mulgrew, Robertson, Morrison, Brown, Maloney, Naismith, Anya, Fletcher

Subs - Hanley, Forrest, Griffiths

Current squad v Malta

Craig Gordon, Jack Hamilton, David Marshall

Christophe Berra, Gordon Greer, Grant Hanley, Alan Hutton, Russell Martin, Callum Paterson, Andrew Robertson

Ikechi Anya, Barry Bannan, Oliver Burke, Darren Fletcher, James Forrest, John McGinn, Barrie McKay, James Morrison, Matt Ritchie, Robert Snodgrass

Steven Fletcher, Chris Martin, Steven Naismith, Tony Watt

Did Maloney not come on as sub in that game? :unsure:

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

I think if we fail to win, certainly if we lose, Strachan's a goner. 

As much as I hope it doesnt come to that, I totally agree.

I do still trust Gordon but anything other than a WIN and even I (a staunch GS fan) will call for his head.

Someone says that this campaign is his time to produce the goods, I totally agree but if we fail, I sense a resignation instead of sacking.

At least he is bold enough to pick youngsters lol.

16 hours ago, Robroysboy said:

Sorry but that was much more to do with the tactics than the players. We set up to play counter-attacking against a team also set-up to play that way which automatically means stalemate and when set-up not for all out attack then it is not a good way to break a stalemate. If we set up the same on Sunday we are in big trouble.

4 hours ago, wubbs said:

Strachan's first competitive away win under pressure. Only took three and a half years.

lets see how the next two games go before we get carried away

Agreed

12 hours ago, COLT NY said:

Can we get behind the manager and the team now, and see where this campaign leads us?

I don't think anyone would not support the team, some of us just don't have confidence in Strachan. I won't get carried away after beating the team ranked 157 in the world. They are the group minnows and we should be beating them. 

The real tests start next month.

13 hours ago, COLT NY said:

Can we get behind the manager and the team now, and see where this campaign leads us?

By "get behind" do you mean blindly pretend everything is rosy, sign off posts with "in Gord we trust" and sing "we'll support you evermore" after shitey performances? If so, the answer is "no". 

I'll stick to calling things as i see them, including questioning performances and team selections, if i see fit. 

35 minutes ago, Parklife said:

By "get behind" do you mean blindly pretend everything is rosy, sign off posts with "in Gord we trust" and sing "we'll support you evermore" after shitey performances? If so, the answer is "no". 

I'll stick to calling things as i see them, including questioning performances and team selections, if i see fit. 

Agreed.

People seem to be forgetting that there were baffling squad selections as always and if the referee hadn't had a shocker it would have been a difficult evening.

That being said we can be a little more positive than we were last week but lets see where we are after the Lithuania game as it will no doubt be tougher than the other night

4 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Agreed.

People seem to be forgetting that there were baffling squad selections as always and if the referee hadn't had a shocker it would have been a difficult evening.

I think by "get behind the manager" he means stop comparing WGS to Levein, and give the "Strachan has lost it" pish a rest.

Am I the only one who doesn't think the penalty and red card really mattered that much?
I saw a bbc headline where it said something like "Scotland got seriously lucky, but made the most of it".
We were back infront before the pen and playing better already. Sure the penalty and sending off made it easy, but the idea that we'd have really struggled and lost or drawn without it is really a misrepresentation of how the game was going at that point.

2 hours ago, andyD said:

Am I the only one who doesn't think the penalty and red card really mattered that much?
I saw a bbc headline where it said something like "Scotland got seriously lucky, but made the most of it".
We were back infront before the pen and playing better already. Sure the penalty and sending off made it easy, but the idea that we'd have really struggled and lost or drawn without it is really a misrepresentation of how the game was going at that point.

You're completely misrepresenting the article you pulled that quote from. 

Here's the 3 paragraphs applicable to the bit you quoted: 

In the same group, Croatia had their issues with the Maltese. They, like Italy, had a one-man advantage, for 59 minutes, and enjoyed 70% of the ball but only scored twice, the second coming nine minutes from the end. In their second game with Malta, they had 64% possession and only won 1-0. Strachan had mentioned their stuffiness in the preamble. At half-time, that fear wouldn't have been far from his mind.

In fairness to them, Scotland picked up the banana skin and flung it out of their road. At 2-1, they had retaken control of the game, then they benefited from a horrific refereeing error that gave them a penalty they didn't deserve, a decision that also unjustly reduced Malta to 10 men with half-an-hour left.

In the Euro qualifiers, 10-man Malta managed to batten down the hatches against the 11 men of Italy and Croatia but they couldn't repeat the trick against Scotland. Strachan's team got seriously lucky with the penalty and the red card, but they made the most of it. Five goals is a hell of a return when so many would have settled for one, as long as it was decisive.

Anyone getting "seriously annoyed" by that needs to get a grip IMO. 

Edited by Parklife
Shite formatting