StrachanS D-DAY - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

StrachanS D-DAY

Robroysboy

12 hours ago, Langtonian said:

There's one thing,the press/ media are behind him as he seems to get a much easier time from them than previous managers

In general, the "professional" Scottish press -as opposed to ex-player pundits - hate Strachan.  They feel that he treats them with contempt and has done since he was at Celtic.  There is also a a view that he's extremely hypocritical as he wont really engage with the media in his day job but is happy to take their money as a TV pundit. 

15 hours ago, Parklife said:

By "get behind" do you mean blindly pretend everything is rosy, sign off posts with "in Gord we trust" and sing "we'll support you evermore" after shitey performances? If so, the answer is "no". 

I'll stick to calling things as i see them, including questioning performances and team selections, if i see fit. 

That's a great effort to look at the extremities of the opposite opinion, while painting your own as significantly more moderate than reality.

I'm pretty certain I've never posted either of those phrases, or anything like them.

At the same time, the board has not been dominated over the last couple months by informed discussions in questioning of performances and selections. Instead its been constant hyperbole about us being one of Europe's worst, criticism of players and demand for Strachan's head without one decent alternative being put forward.

I'm not a fan of Strachan's personality, and the video above is a great example of why. I also don't agree with all of his selections, but that doesn't mean I'm always right either. However, he's done more to create an entertaining and competitive team than most managers in the last 15 years, and deserves more credit for that.

5 hours ago, COLT NY said:

That's a great effort to look at the extremities of the opposite opinion, while painting your own as significantly more moderate than reality.

I'm pretty certain I've never posted either of those phrases, or anything like them.

At the same time, the board has not been dominated over the last couple months by informed discussions in questioning of performances and selections. Instead its been constant hyperbole about us being one of Europe's worst, criticism of players and demand for Strachan's head without one decent alternative being put forward.

I'm not a fan of Strachan's personality, and the video above is a great example of why. I also don't agree with all of his selections, but that doesn't mean I'm always right either. However, he's done more to create an entertaining and competitive team than most managers in the last 15 years, and deserves more credit for that.

I've not seen anyone saying we're one of Europe's worst. 

There's been a lot of questioning on selection and, IMO, rightly so. We've left out £12 million &  £10 million strikers and called up a guy who's never achieved anything and has scored 5 goals in the last year (Tony Watt). Strachan consistently ignores guys performing consistently well for their clubs and instead picks the same old faces.

We're also allowed to be concerned about the alarming slide since the game in Dublin. At that point we'd been performing well and getting results. I thin everyone felt strachan was doing a good job. However, since then we've had that Dublin performance, defeat in Georgia and uninspiring friendlies where we haven't managed a shot on goal. It's looked very much like a regression. We're allowed to be concerned about this. A win in Malta (after a concerning first 45 minutes) doesn't change all that much, although it is undoubtedly a positive.  

We're allowed to question all of this. Just because we do so it doesn't mean we are supporting the team or want them to win any less than anyone else. This "get behind the team" chat is insulting nonsense. We are behind the team, we want them to be the best they can be. Just because we question aspects of the management, doesn't mean anyone is not behind them. 

19 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I've not seen anyone saying we're one of Europe's worst. 

There's been a lot of questioning on selection and, IMO, rightly so. We've left out £12 million &  £10 million strikers and called up a guy who's never achieved anything and has scored 5 goals in the last year (Tony Watt). Strachan consistently ignores guys performing consistently well for their clubs and instead picks the same old faces.

We're also allowed to be concerned about the alarming slide since the game in Dublin. At that point we'd been performing well and getting results. I thin everyone felt strachan was doing a good job. However, since then we've had that Dublin performance, defeat in Georgia and uninspiring friendlies where we haven't managed a shot on goal. It's looked very much like a regression. We're allowed to be concerned about this. A win in Malta (after a concerning first 45 minutes) doesn't change all that much, although it is undoubtedly a positive.  

We're allowed to question all of this. Just because we do so it doesn't mean we are supporting the team or want them to win any less than anyone else. This "get behind the team" chat is insulting nonsense. We are behind the team, we want them to be the best they can be. Just because we question aspects of the management, doesn't mean anyone is not behind them. 

Believes Ryan Jack should be called up imo. 

Just now, zahana-oni said:

Believes Ryan Jack should be called up imo. 

Not at present, his form last season was very poor. 

Nice to see you here just to have a wee dig at me though :)

Just now, zahana-oni said:

You are absolutely obsessed with me. 

I'm assuming Matt Ritchie still wouldn't be in your squad for the next game btw?

:lol: You come on to a thread, quote me having a wee dig and i'm obsessed? :lol: 

If i were the manager, i'd only pick Scottish folk. Matt Ritchie is not Scottish. He'd never even been to Scotland before his first call-up. Very predictable that you're trying to change the debate in this thread... 

36 minutes ago, Parklife said:

That's a fair point but arguments about which players should be called up and which players should be left out are entirely subjective, everyone has their own opinion and that's exactly how it should be.  It's part of what makes football interesting.  Personally, I've seen more than enough duff players go for large transfers to know that the size of a transfer fee does not necessarily represent the quality of the player.

For example, you mention Tony Watt.  Now I am pretty sceptical about him personally, largely because I think his attitude is suspect, but you have to concede that a number of people were calling for him to be called up and not just Pasta Mick because he used to play for Celtic and scored against Barcelona once. 

You're saying Strachan picks the same old faces but with the team that started on Sunday, I don't think that stands up.  For various reasons, Paterson, Darren Fletcher, Bannan, Snodgrass, Burke and Chris Martin either didn't feature at all, or only played a small part in the last qualifying campaign, whether this is a permanent change in the starting lineup, time will tell.

One final point, those people booing at half time on Sunday need to take a look at themselves.

8 minutes ago, aaid said:

That's a fair point but arguments about which players should be called up and which players should be left out are entirely subjective, everyone has their own opinion and that's exactly how it should be.  It's part of what makes football interesting.  Personally, I've seen more than enough duff players go for large transfers to know that the size of a transfer fee does not necessarily represent the quality of the player.

For example, you mention Tony Watt.  Now I am pretty sceptical about him personally, largely because I think his attitude is suspect, but you have to concede that a number of people were calling for him to be called up and not just Pasta Mick because he used to play for Celtic and scored against Barcelona once. 

I agree on transfer fees. I was just using Rhodes and McCormack as examples of the most startling continual omissions. 

I can't recall many folk wanting Watt called up. I think he has talent but he's been around for a while now and achieved nothing. 

8 minutes ago, aaid said:

You're saying Strachan picks the same old faces but with the team that started on Sunday, I don't think that stands up.  For various reasons, Paterson, Darren Fletcher, Bannan, Snodgrass, Burke and Chris Martin either didn't feature at all, or only played a small part in the last qualifying campaign, whether this is a permanent change in the starting lineup, time will tell.

One final point, those people booing at half time on Sunday need to take a look at themselves.

Darren Fletcher is one who should've played every game in the last campaign. Now Brown has retired, Strachan was forced to play him. 

I do accept that Paterson and Burke have been brought in when Strachan didn't have to. 

One game in Malta is a welcome start to freshening up the side and playing players in form, however i'll reserve judgement until we see future selections. 

19 minutes ago, aaid said:

Drawing 1-1 with a team ranked outside the worlds top 150. Can't say I blame them tbh

Edited by ProudScot

19 hours ago, Parklife said:

You're completely misrepresenting the article you pulled that quote from. 

Anyone getting "seriously annoyed" by that needs to get a grip IMO. 

err.. I'm not "seriously annoyed", not sure where you got that idea.
And I didn't read the article, because that was the headline. It looked like a page full of rubbish, so I skipped it, I just remember the headline being silly.

7 minutes ago, andyD said:

err.. I'm not "seriously annoyed", not sure where you got that idea.
And I didn't read the article, because that was the headline. It looked like a page full of rubbish, so I skipped it, I just remember the headline being silly.

The person below you, Caledonian Craig (who i also quoted), said he was "seriously annoyed. 

So your comment that the article was a "misrepresentation", was in itself a misrepresentation. 

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

Strachan consistently ignores guys performing consistently well for their clubs and instead picks the same old faces.

Really?
Jack Hamilton, Callum Paterson, Barry Bannan, Oliver Burke, John McGinn, Barry McKay, Robert Snodgrass, Tony Watt..
All in the last squad, none of whom have been regular calls over the last few years.

Other guys who've had call ups lately:
Scott Bain, Scott Fox, Paul Caddis, Liam Cooper, Stephen Kingsley, Graeme Shinnie, Kieran Tierney, Lee Wallace, Liam Bridcutt, Craig Bryson, Kevin McDonald, Kenny McLean, Jamie Murphy, Matt Phillips, Johnny Russell.

If there a Scottish player that Strachan's not call up in the last year? :D

Now, I get that most of your complaint seemed to be about Rhodes and McCormack, yet Rhodes was in the Gibraltar squad, and McCormack was in the squad for the France game. And it's worth saying that Rhodes hasn't played a minute this season and MCCormack's only scored one in his 6 games so far. Hardly performing great for their clubs.

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

The person below you, Caledonian Craig (who i also quoted), said he was "seriously annoyed. 

So your comment that the article was a "misrepresentation", was in itself a misrepresentation. 

Now you're misrepresenting my comment! :D

"the idea that we'd have really struggled and lost or drawn without it is really a misrepresentation"
That's what I said.. not about the article being a misrepresentation.
I'm really not sure who you're disagreeing with sometimes.. :D

46 minutes ago, andyD said:

Really?
Jack Hamilton, Callum Paterson, Barry Bannan, Oliver Burke, John McGinn, Barry McKay, Robert Snodgrass, Tony Watt..
All in the last squad, none of whom have been regular calls over the last few years.

Other guys who've had call ups lately:
Scott Bain, Scott Fox, Paul Caddis, Liam Cooper, Stephen Kingsley, Graeme Shinnie, Kieran Tierney, Lee Wallace, Liam Bridcutt, Craig Bryson, Kevin McDonald, Kenny McLean, Jamie Murphy, Matt Phillips, Johnny Russell.

That's list making that Ersatz Thistle would be proud of.