Gauld - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Gauld

er yir macaroon

Didn't see the game, but disastrous result, but fair dues to Macedonia - they've had a good campaign and dug out wins. I'll be in Iceland next month and was sorely tempted to go to the game, but from the reports here and the previous games of this campaign - don't know if I could be arsed watching us.

France lost tonight as well! This group could've gone right to the wire, it may well, but we won't be involved.

Reading of the missed chances, penalties, disallowed goal etc. Someone please change the script for Sunday - 0-1 will do that's all, nae excuses just a hard-fought win and get a perfect start to the campaign. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ScotlandFanMuir said:

Regardless of the result or tonight in general.

Does anyone think Ricky Sbragia is the man to take the National U21 side forward?

I don't. 

Sbragia should be no-where near that job, but Strachan/McGhee don't give a damn about the U21 side. McGhee said the other day he can't remember the last time he spoke to Sbragia.

The u21 team is an after thought. We have a team because UEFA would probably ask questions if we didn't.

That stupid pwick Spragia has to go. He really is as dumb as he looks.

Here's my suggestion for a new Scotland Under 21 manager.

Brian Kerr.

Plenty of experience. Available. Had success with the Republic of Ireland's underage groups and many of their fans actually want him put back in charge of their own Under 21s.

Don't care that he's not Scottish. The manager shouldn't always have to be a Scot, we should start looking around for managers.

when you look at the experience and strength of the 21's squad its hard not to question the management when we get so many poor results.

A number of that squad actually started or came on as a sub in the EPL last week.

The 21's are crying out for a young enthusiastic coach who wants to try something different....and not another Stark, Sbragia type SFA yes man.

4 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Brian Kerr.

Plenty of experience. Available. Had success with the Republic of Ireland's underage groups and many of their fans actually want him put back in charge of their own Under 21s.

Don't care that he's not Scottish. The manager shouldn't always have to be a Scot, we should start looking around for managers.

I know it obviously helps with a good crop of eligible players but Bonhof had quite a successful time in charge of the u21 so we have been there before.

Got to be worried about Gauld after seeing him last night. Ive only seen him a few times for u-21s since he left united but he has been poor every time, how many times did he underhit simple passes last night. Certainly not giving up on him, (the hype around him at the time was that it was inconceivable that he wouldn't make it), but now potentially entering a 3rd season in limbo, when everyone thought he would be our player of a generation.The fact he played last night shows it can't be injury thats keeping him out the squad at his loan team. Deeply concerning.

8 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Brian Kerr.

Not a bad shout. Also what's Gary McAllister up to these days?

12 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

when you look at the experience and strength of the 21's squad its hard not to question the management when we get so many poor results.

A number of that squad actually started or came on as a sub in the EPL last week.

The 21's are crying out for a young enthusiastic coach who wants to try something different....and not another Stark, Sbragia type SFA yes man.

John Hewitt 

11 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I know it obviously helps with a good crop of eligible players but Bonhof had quite a successful time in charge of the u21 so we have been there before.

He didn't, he was an absolute muppet.  The equivalent of Vogts at U21 level.  Actually our worst ever according to http://www.fitbastats.com/scotlandu21/manager_records_filtered.php.

I remember us going something like 14 games without a win under him.  Couldn't wait to see the back  of him.

26 minutes ago, daviebee said:

He didn't, he was an absolute muppet.  The equivalent of Vogts at U21 level.  Actually our worst ever according to http://www.fitbastats.com/scotlandu21/manager_records_filtered.php.

I remember us going something like 14 games without a win under him.  Couldn't wait to see the back  of him.

Started well though, there were some very good early results!  I knew it was bad at the end but had forgotten ('repressed') how bad it was at the end. The point I was making though was that the idea of a foreign coach shouldn't be ruled out.  The likes of Stark and Sbraiga don't seem to have got the best out of the players we have which is a shame because before he took over Sbraiga appeared to be quite highly rated.

20 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Started well though, there were some very good early results!  I knew it was bad at the end but had forgotten ('repressed') how bad it was at the end. The point I was making though was that the idea of a foreign coach shouldn't be ruled out.  The likes of Stark and Sbraiga don't seem to have got the best out of the players we have which is a shame because before he took over Sbraiga appeared to be quite highly rated.

It should've worked.  A guy with a World Cup winners medal going into a dressing-room full of eager youngsters - "Right, here's what I've won, now let's see what you've got."  Instant respect in theory.  However, I seem to remember serious disciplinary problems - curfew breaking, that sort of thing.  Maybe just our psyche?  Feck knows how we change it though.

46 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

I agree that we need to start considering foreign managers for Scotland posts.

We have a conservative, insular, backward attitude that our guys simply must be Scots. I hate that. The fact is that there are no Scottish managers or coaches out there just now (except perhaps Cathro) who are worth considering.

The next managers of the Under 21s and the senior team have got to be from outside Scotland. Hence why I would really like Brian Kerr, experienced and with a proven record of success at managing Ireland at underage level, to take charge of our Under 21s.

There's no chance of it happening but I'd also genuinely love to see what managers like Eddie Howe or Sean Dyche could do if put in charge of the Scotland senior team. The fact that the men I've mentioned are English, doesn't bother me in the slightest, and nor should it bother anyone who possesses a brain.

57 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

We have a conservative, insular, backward attitude that our guys simply must be Scots. I hate that. The fact is that there are no Scottish managers or coaches out there just now (except perhaps Cathro) who are worth considering.

Funny isn't it not that long ago Scots managers were all the rage and there were very high profile successes but now it's very different. 

One of the biggest problems with the 'Strachan needs to go' lynch mob is that we really don't have many options.  England seem to also be in a similar place - I can't imagine them giving the job to Allardyce if there was a genuine alternative.

I do feel like we need to look further than these shores.  'Foreign' managers have qualified unlikely nations to plenty of competitions in the last 20 years.  No single Scot has achieved it.

1 minute ago, norsefox said:

One of the biggest problems with the 'Strachan needs to go' lynch mob is that we really don't have many options.  England seem to also be in a similar place - I can't imagine them giving the job to Allardyce if there was a genuine alternative.

I do feel like we need to look further than these shores.  'Foreign' managers have qualified unlikely nations to plenty of competitions in the last 20 years.  No single Scot has achieved it.

Absolutely right.

For the backward types that demand a Scottish manager just look at the realistic "native" candidates available - Derek McInnes, Paul Lambert, Paul Hartley, Billy Davis, Dougie Freedman, John Hughes and Alan Irvine are what we're looking at.

None of whom are worth considering in my opinion. We're flat out of options, it's simply got to be a foreigner.

And anyone who seriously thinks Alex Ferguson, Walter Smith or Alex McLeish want manage Scotland again is frankly, an idiot.

14 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Absolutely right.

For the backward types that demand a Scottish manager just look at the realistic "native" candidates available - Derek McInnes, Paul Lambert, Paul Hartley, Billy Davis, Dougie Freedman, John Hughes and Alan Irvine are what we're looking at.

None of whom are worth considering in my opinion. We're flat out of options, it's simply got to be a foreigner.

And anyone who seriously thinks Alex Ferguson, Walter Smith or Alex McLeish want manage Scotland again is frankly, an idiot.

I actually wouldn't be that against mcinnes or hughes getting a shot actually and which decent foreign managers would be willing to take it on, not as if we can chuck money at them to entice them like other countries like russia, south korea etc can/have

agree with your last point lol

28 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Absolutely right.

I cannot disagree with any of that especially that last line.