Nutmeg Magazine - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Nutmeg Magazine

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to this, as the guys behind it have been putting their all in to it.

They are trying to make it similar to Blizzard Mag, which is a kind of text book/thinking man's type football magazine and not a FourFourTwo or Shoot style one (I subscribe to Blizzard and though tad pricey, it is really worth it and the actual product is a work of art)

9 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Looking forward to this, as the guys behind it have been putting their all in to it.

They are trying to make it similar to Blizzard Mag, which is a kind of text book/thinking man's type football magazine and not a FourFourTwo or Shoot style one (I subscribe to Blizzard and though tad pricey, it is really worth it and the actual product is a work of art)

If they had a digital version, like Blizzard (which i subscribe to), they'd have more success. Charging £12 for a hard copy will lead to it failing, unfortunately. 

Their whole thing from them from the start was to produce a hard copy football magazine that you could physically hold in your hand to read (its run by very old school type guys who are trying to preserve physical books in a digital age)

There seems to be a wide range of these "Hipster football magazines" (as a friend of mine refers to them as :lol:)... some are on a big scale like Blizzard and EightByEight....Some are just labors of love (Glory Magazine for example...... the guys behind that pick unusual football countries and just work their socks off to produce something.... only had 1 issue which was on the Faroe Islands, but is one of the best travel and football magazines I have ever read.... I believe issue two will either be on Moldova or a middle eastern country) and then you get small scale ones like The Football Pink.

Nutmeg seems to have set their sights on the top line stuff, rather than going low key, which I say fair play to them..... I know issue 2 is already in the works, as I have a article appearing in Novembers issue of The Football Pink on the Tartan Army Sunshine Appeal, and spoke with Ally from Nutmeg and is interested if I could write something up to submit for Issue 2.

Blizzard at least offer a "pay what you can" for their magazine, so I would expect Nutmeg to maybe offer something similar once they find their feet.

6 hours ago, Parklife said:

If they had a digital version, like Blizzard (which i subscribe to), they'd have more success. Charging £12 for a hard copy will lead to it failing, unfortunately. 

Yep.

I'm not sure how many folk they'll have willing to pay £12 to try it out.

£3/£4 for a digital edition would see it much easier to persuade folk.

12 quid for a quarterly magazine is a rip off plain and simple. Compare how much it costs to buy a book which is probably the best value purchase you can find in personal entertainment by far. 12 quid for a poxy mag. they are taking the pish. not to be encouraged.

12 hours ago, thplinth said:

12 quid for a quarterly magazine is a rip off plain and simple. Compare how much it costs to buy a book which is probably the best value purchase you can find in personal entertainment by far. 12 quid for a poxy mag. they are taking the pish. not to be encouraged.

This is not a magazine in the normal sense, as it is not going to be like fourfourtwo and likes with 1/3 of the magazine adverts for football boots and kits, with every second page a advert for Nivea, Lynx body spray or Old Spice..... its more like a University text book than a football magazine (that is part of the reason price will be so high as they probably have limited advertisement backing) with the articles in it written by budding football writers to give them a platform when they can not get through the door at the likes of the monthly editions (think of it more like When Saturday Comes).

Also, cost will probably have went into the quality of paper and binding they have used.... Blizzard is effectively a book when you order their hard copy issue.

Edited by wanderer

38 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I'd actually probably go in to a shop and pay £10 for it. I'll not be ordering it at £12 a pop though (i sound like @sbcmfc here :lol: ). 

:lol:

£12 for a magazine is a bit on the steep side, I kind of get why they don't want it as an ebook or whatever, but they're limiting their market, which is already pretty niche.

I'm going on holiday next week, but will probably just but world soccer or something.

5 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

£12 for a magazine is a bit on the steep side, I kind of get why they don't want it as an ebook or whatever, but they're limiting their market, which is already pretty niche.

I'm going on holiday next week, but will probably just but world soccer or something.

You looking for a football book? 

I've got a couple of crackers that i've read. Happy to send them on to you. 

8 minutes ago, Parklife said:

You looking for a football book? 

I've got a couple of crackers that i've read. Happy to send them on to you. 

A book might be a bit optimistic, I'm taking a 3 year old and a 6 month old.

Kidding aside, if it's something not too deep.

I could swap you for Keith Lasleys Autobiography.

:P

12 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

A book might be a bit optimistic, I'm taking a 3 year old and a 6 month old.

Kidding aside, if it's something not too deep.

I could swap you for Keith Lasleys Autobiography.

:P

Is that not what wives are for? 

Provided You Don't Kiss Me - My 20 Years with Brian Clough. The best football book i have read, bar none. 

PM me your address if you want it and i'll stick it in the post tomorrow. 

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Is that not what wives are for? 

Provided You Don't Kiss Me - My 20 Years with Brian Clough. The best football book i have read, bar none. 

PM me your address if you want it and i'll stick it in the post tomorrow. 

That does sound quite good.

Did you hear the Dean Saunders anecdote on Brian Clough trying to sign him?

Thanks for that.

4 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Did you hear the Dean Saunders anecdote on Brian Clough trying to sign him?

A Welsh friend was telling me that he is notorious for over exaggerating things on his after-dinner speakers act..... he apparently lives off the Galatasaray and drinking goats blood story, yet apparently the real story is not as "interesting", and he thinks the Clough story is the same.